Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 10:471 edit
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/that-anti-millennial-rant-bs-cracked-destroys-meme/

An article addressing a rather influential anti-millenial rant by a Simon Sinek (never heard of him).

The original youtube's conclusion and arguments supporting that conclusion are classic:
    Millenials are spoiled crybabies unable to deal with reality because (among other things) they got participation trophies when they were 8 and someone's parent intervened somewhere sometimes to change their grades.

This article takes these arguments and offers some perspective.

Excerpt (can't copy more because it has naughty words and this forum cries when it hears a dirty word):
    "Well thanks, Simon. Now where's your pithy solution to the fact that salaries are going down while the cost of health care and education and housing is going up? What bold leadership solutions will help the fact that 40 percent of America's unemployed are millennials? Social media addiction can be a problem, sure, but that's like saying the biggest problem on the Titanic was that the food was too salty. Millennials aren't stressed out because their Facebook posts aren't getting enough likes; they're stressed out because the economy is shaky and society's reaction is "Stop texting so much and learn to love life, you self-centered kids!" Where I live, the unemployment rate is 8.5 percent. My millennial friends would like job satisfaction, but some would also just love to have a fu**ing job. Don't infantilize us. Don't act like you're some great sage gifting us with wise insights when you refuse to acknowledge the actual problem. You're like a mechanic lecturing us on the importance of rotating our tires when we came to you with cut brake lines."
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 10:52
    The conclusion of the article:
    "But hey, why bother? Complaining about millennials is an industry now. Those angry headlines generate clicks, and Simon is far from the only person to have written a cash-grab book about how to "manage millennials," as if they're self-centered aliens who just arrived on the planet. But we're not unique. Baby boomers were dubbed the "Me Generation" because they were considered lazy and narcissistic. The goddamn ancient Greeks complained about their uppity kids. If every generation was as lazy as the previous generation claimed, we'd have already devolved into moss-covered sloth people.

You want to know the real secret to managing people well? Treat them as individuals, not a faceless mass sharing the same traits that you can conquer with the right cheat codes. And maybe don't ask if they need a sippy from a juice box when they express economic anxiety.

Meanwhile, the massive cultural and economic shifts that are underway cannot be comprehended and addressed by some random guy rambling fortune cookie wisdom into the camera, the media treating him as an expert despite an apparent lack of qualifications, and all of us going "Oh, yeah, he's totes right" on Facebook and then assuming everything is solved. Its as if we've given him an award for mediocre participation in the discussion."
  3. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 11:50
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/that-anti-millennial-rant-bs-cracked-destroys-meme/

An article addressing a rather influential anti-millenial rant by a Simon Sinek (never heard of him).

The original youtube's conclusion and arguments supporting that conclusion are classic:
    Millenials are spoiled crybabies unable to deal with reality because (among othe ...[text shortened]... lecturing us on the importance of rotating our tires when we came to you with cut brake lines."
    Don't worry about it. I'm an older guy, and can assure you my generation (baby boomers) heard the same garbage from the WW2 generation. Just focus on making the best of what opportunities you have, working hard, and don't listen to all the criticism. Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Every older generation feels the need to slam the younger generation, don't ask me why!
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 12:14
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Don't worry about it. I'm an older guy, and can assure you my generation (baby boomers) heard the same garbage from the WW2 generation. Just focus on making the best of what opportunities you have, working hard, and don't listen to all the criticism. Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Every older generation feels the need to slam the younger generation, don't ask me why!
    Lies!

You can only be happy with Dims in complete control of government. Only then can true happiness be redistributed equally among its citizens.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 12:23
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Anyone who lets criticism of their entire generation actually bother him deserves the criticism.

Also, while criticizing or blaming an entire generation is obviously ridiculous, I don't think there's any question that the entitlement mentality and concepts like triggers, micro-aggressions and safe spaces are doing real damage to large numbers of people by making them incapable of properly coping with adversity.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 12:28
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Anyone who lets criticism of their entire generation actually bother him deserves the criticism.

Also, while criticizing or blaming an entire generation is obviously ridiculous, I don't think there's any question that the entitlement mentality and concepts like triggers, micro-aggressions and safe spaces are doing real damage to large numbers of people by making them incapable of properly coping with adversity.
    But people are constantly fed the group mentality.

You have the 1% who are all evil and all the same

You have the Alt Right who are all evil and all the same.

You have the Alt left who are all evil and all the same, etc.

Collectivism herds us around like cattle, so that is how we now think.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 12:46

"Anyone who lets criticism of their entire generation actually bother him deserves the criticism."
    so when blacks are bothered by racism, they deserve the racism? no? why is that different than this?

unfair criticism can bother you. you are allowed to voice your opinion and to offer arguments supporting your opinion.

"Also, while criticizing or blaming an entire generation is obviously ridiculous, I don't think there's any question that the entitlement mentality and concepts like triggers, micro-aggressions and safe spaces are doing real damage to large numbers of people by making them incapable of properly coping with adversity."
    you agree that generalizing is bad, but not when you do it to "large numbers of people". yes, you're not generalizing to an entire generation and that's a good thing, but you assume
    (without proof) that some anecdotes you heard on TV apply to "large numbers of people". And what, exactly? safe spaces? do you not have children shows without nudity? or family friendly shows? That same concept cannot be applied to an environment too and leave everyone to choose if they want to be in that environment or not?
    Trigger warnings? again, do you not have nudity labels on movies? explicit language warnings? I cannot say fuk on this forum. Are the latter rules ok but not trigger warnings? Shouldn't a rape victim trying to cope with the trauma be warned that a class/workshop/whatever will contain discussions about rape? How are anyone's rights being trampled by notifying in advance what something is about? Why do you not think that it is considerate to think about others?

"by making them incapable of properly coping with adversity"
    Someone is incapable of coping with adversity if they get surprise adversity every now and then? Taking the "there might be rape discussion" trigger warning as an example, what exactly do you think will teach a hypothetical rape victim about "properly coping with adversity"?
    Is it the surprise of being reminded randomly about rape? Do you think they could ever forget rape is real?
    Or is it the actual discussion about rape, in which case shouldn't be up to the rape victim when and where (or if) to have that discussion?
    In both cases, the trigger warning does no harm and is actually consideration.

How about another example:
    Do you think restaurants should put ingredients next to each dish so that people know if there are any allergens? Or is this coddling the allergic crybabies who should know better to ask if there is something in the food that might kill them?
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 13:20
    Originally posted by @whodey
    But people are constantly fed the group mentality.

You have the 1% who are all evil and all the same

You have the Alt Right who are all evil and all the same.

You have the Alt left who are all evil and all the same, etc.

Collectivism herds us around like cattle, so that is how we now think.
    Then you have those who lump all "New Yorkers" in one group 😕
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 13:361 edit
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    Then you have those who lump all "New Yorkers" in one group 😕
    I saw Trump admit on TV that he was once for abortion simply because he was immersed in the New York culture.

In New York, you have no choice but to be pro-abortion. I'm pretty sure it's a law there.

Of course, then he went bonkers on Cruz when he merely pointed out what he had admitted years prior.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 13:47
    "Anyone who lets criticism of their entire generation actually bother him deserves the criticism."
    so when blacks are bothered by racism, they deserve the racism? no? why is that different than this?

unfair criticism can bother you. you are allowed to voice your opinion and to offer arguments supporting your opinion.

"Also, while criticizing or bl ...[text shortened]... crybabies who should know better to ask if there is something in the food that might kill them?
    ==="Anyone who lets criticism of their entire generation actually bother him deserves the criticism."
    so when blacks are bothered by racism, they deserve the racism? no? why is that different than this?===

To paraphrase Justice Harlan F. Stone in US v. Carolene Products, racial minorities are "discreet and insular" and are thus subject to discrimination. Nobody can reasonably suggest that an entire generation has anything to fear from discrimination against it.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 08:271 edit
    ==="Anyone who lets criticism of their entire generation actually bother him deserves the criticism."
    so when blacks are bothered by racism, they deserve the racism? no? why is that different than this?===

To paraphrase Justice Harlan F. Stone in US v. Carolene Products, racial minorities are "discreet and insular" and are thus subject to discrimination. N ...[text shortened]... easonably suggest that an entire generation has anything to fear from discrimination against it.
    "Nobody can reasonably suggest that an entire generation has anything to fear from discrimination against it."
    no?
    who enacted the disastrous economic policies of the reagan era? who crashed the economy in 2008? who are the people that make policy today? who fuks up the environment?
    is it millenials? or is it previous generations?

I can reasonably suggest that an entire generation HAS something to fear from the older generations. Those that are destroying its future. Those that are dismissing them as "entitled crybabies".
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 09:13
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I saw Trump admit on TV that he was once for abortion simply because he was immersed in the New York culture.

In New York, you have no choice but to be pro-abortion. I'm pretty sure it's a law there.

Of course, then he went bonkers on Cruz when he merely pointed out what he had admitted years prior.
    News Flash: Trump is a LIAR. What about this don't you understand?
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 10:17
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    News Flash: Trump is a LIAR. What about this don't you understand?
    can you please not fall, again, into his trolling and derail, again, a thread?

what about him being a troll/dumb don't you understand? how is trump being a liar news, to anyone but the most zealous trumpettes?
  14. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 12:17
    Are millenials those bloody hipsters? If so, may they rot in hell as Satan grabs them by their pathetic bloody beards and burns them chequered shirts and all.

If not, move along folks... just ignore my post.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Aug '17 13:01
    "Nobody can reasonably suggest that an entire generation has anything to fear from discrimination against it."
    no?
    who enacted the disastrous economic policies of the reagan era? who crashed the economy in 2008? who are the people that make policy today? who fuks up the environment?
    is it millenials? or is it previous generations?

I can reasonably s ...[text shortened]... s. Those that are destroying its future. Those that are dismissing them as "entitled crybabies".
    The very idea of treating an entire generation as a cohort to attribute characteristics to it is absurd. Rivalry between generations, while amusing magazine fodder, is meaningless as a real-life concept. We all have friends and family members from all surviving generations.

Anyway, flawed though it is, the previous generations have created a pretty good society in the "first world."