Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    22 Jun '14 08:28
    Republican lawmakers make me laugh. They all talk about the evils of "big government" and a "rebellion brewing against Washington" so what do they do? They spend most of their time running for election for a job in....Government, located in....Washington. (Can you say...hypocrite?)

http://news.yahoo.com/jindal-says-rebellion-brewing-against-washington-030823632--election.html
  2. 22 Jun '14 08:30
    It's part of the Republican Southern Strategy. It will go on as long as people are gullible enough to fall for it.
  3. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    22 Jun '14 08:38
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It's part of the Republican Southern Strategy. It will go on as long as people are gullible enough to fall for it.
    I agree, maybe you really can fool some of the people all of the time.
  4. 22 Jun '14 13:34
    Originally posted by bill718
    Good thing you're too smart to fall for it.
  5. 22 Jun '14 15:41 / 2 edits
    Republican lawmakers make me laugh. They all talk about the evils of "big government" and a "rebellion brewing against Washington" so what do they do? They spend most of their time running for election for a job in....Government, located in....Washington. (Can you say...hypocrite?)

http://news.yahoo.com/jindal-says-rebellion-brewing-against-washington-030823632--election.html
    If Republicans actually lifted a finger to see justice done in the federal government then they know that eventually they would all wind up behind bars as well.

Essentially, the only good the GOP is currently is to whine about all the injustice in the federal government. That is the extent of the rebellion.

That's why it was especially nice to see Eric Cantor go down in flames. All the millions the GOP threw at him to oppose his challenger who was essentially penniless did them absolutely no good. I wish to see more of this.
  6. 22 Jun '14 17:18

Would you prefer that they work within the system than to overthrow it? I agree to a certain extent there tends to be a conflict of interests between being part of the government (an elected official) and wanting to minimize government control. That is perhaps why Republican control of government usually fails to result in smaller government.

How would you suggest dealing with the rampant growth of government? It would seem the TEA party is a start.
  7. 22 Jun '14 17:25
    I would say that LBJ's southern strategy has been more successful than any Republican conspiracy.

"These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference... I'll have them niggers voting Democratic for the next two hundred years".

Some deny LBJ ever said this, but it mixes well with his Southern Democrat roots, and fits what most who knew him thought he would say. It has virtually been prophetic, and despite the solid support of blacks for Democrats, their prospects haven't improved a lot since then. They are still taking the scraps that LBJ and his southerners offer them for their support.
  8. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    23 Jun '14 00:49
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Would you prefer that they work within the system than to overthrow it? I agree to a certain extent there tends to be a conflict of interests between being part of the government (an elected official) and wanting to minimize government control. That is perhaps why Republican control of government usually fails to result in smaller government.

How wou ...[text shortened]... suggest dealing with the rampant growth of government? It would seem the TEA party is a start.
    What's your problem with government growth? Most countries in Europe have far more government control than America has, and most of them are better educated, healthier, have lower poverty rates, and live longer than American's do.
  9. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    23 Jun '14 00:55
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I would say that LBJ's southern strategy has been more successful than any Republican conspiracy.

"These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a ...[text shortened]... en. They are still taking the scraps that LBJ and his southerners offer them for their support.
    Wrong again Norm. A higher percentage of african americans have made it to the middle and upper income class now, than 50 years ago, and most of them have voted democrat all along. Not as fast as you'd like to see it perhaps, but the gains are there.
  10. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    23 Jun '14 01:23
    Do you believe there is cause to rebel against Washington? If so than the
    real problem is not who votes for who, but why is everyone upset on both
    sides don't you think?

I think the biggest issue Washington really has is the 99%ers and the
    Tea Party are both pissed at the same government. Just different sides of
    the same government. If they ever hook up for common purpose both the
    Republicans and Democrats business as usual would be over.
    Kelly