Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 09 Feb '13 02:06 / 1 edit
    Add-ons let semi-autos fire like military weapons
    February 7, 2013

BUNNLEVEL, N.C. (AP) — In the video, a shooter cradles a rifle equipped with a grenade launcher and 250-round magazine. But the star of this demonstration, posted online, is a deceptively low-tech plastic device that enables semi-automatics like this one to mimic the withering fire of weapons usually reserved for the military or police.

"FIRE AT WILL," invites the website of Slide Fire Solutions, a maker of the devices, known as slide or "bump" stocks. "Unleash 100 rounds, in 7 seconds." Slide Fire pitched the device to federal regulators in 2010 as a way to help people with disabilities enjoy shooting sports. But it has become increasingly popular among able-bodied shooters looking for the rapid-fire thrill of obliterating their targets.

Now it is one of nearly 160 guns and accessories on U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein's hit list as she seeks to ban military-style weapons. If Slide Fire's claims are taken at face value, the rate of fire possible with a slide stock is roughly comparable to that of a fully automatic M16 military assault rifle. Real machine guns cost many thousands and require an expensive, hard-to-get federal permit that makes them, if not entirely illegal, largely unavailable to most civilians. But about $350 and a few minutes' installation time will give you what many fans of slide or "bump" stocks call a "legal full-auto."

"Since the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban expired, we have seen a rapid rate of technological improvements in assault weapons, and that concerns me," Feinstein, a California Democrat, said in an email response to questions from The Associated Press. "This replacement shoulder stock turns a semi-automatic rifle into a weapon that can fire at a rate of 400 to 800 rounds per minute," she said. Noting the strong existing federal regulation of machine guns, she added, "I strongly believe that devices allowing shooters to fire at similar rates should also be outlawed."

The marketing of devices like slide stocks directly counters Feinstein's call for restrictions, reflecting a tense debate over how much gun is too much gun — or whether there is such a thing. It's a debate where perceptions count. The federal government first restricted the possession of automatic weapons in 1934, in the wake of such gangland shootings as Chicago's infamous St. Valentine's Day Massacre. In 1986, the National Firearms Act was amended to prohibit the transfer or possession of machine guns by civilians, with an exception for those lawfully possessed before the law's effective date.

Each plastic Slide Fire stock — available for AR- and AK-style rifles — comes with a copy of a 2010 letter signed by John R. Spencer, firearms technology chief for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, deeming it an unregulated firearm part. In seeking ATF's blessing, according to Spencer's letter, Slide Fire claimed the device was "intended to assist persons whose hands have limited mobility." But gun shop owners have told the AP that most of their sales have been to able-bodied shooters. Dorothy Royal, manager of Surf City Guns in southeast North Carolina, sells about a dozen Slide Fire stocks a month, mostly for AR-type rifles. Although many of her customers are wounded veterans, she guesses about 70 percent of the buyers have no disability. "To the best of my knowledge, without taking them outside and putting them through a physical test," she said.

[The] magazine Guns&Ammo [produces] the video featur[ing] Sgt. Jason Teague, a sniper with an Atlanta-area police SWAT unit. The video caption says the marriage of Valkyrie Arms' belt-fed drum magazine and the Slide Fire stock produces an offspring that "bridges the firepower gap between a rifle and a machine gun."With a combination of short and long bursts, Teague perforates the face and chest of a cleaver-wielding assailant on a target with a fusillade of red- and green-tipped "Zombie Max" bullets. "This is definitely something that's a game-changer for you guys out there who want to put down a heavy volume of fire," he says. "A lot of firepower — EASILY able to fight off that next big horde that comes after you."

And, Teague assures, "it's completely legal." Cottle's home page boasts that "Slide Fire's patented technology allows the shooter to accurately and safely fire your rifle as quickly as you desire." Some full-auto purists agree. According to his YouTube channel, Jeffrey Zimba has spent more than two decades "in the Military Firearms industry." Over the years, he's tested many devices and gadgets intended to simulate the rush of firing a machine gun, but hadn't found "anything that really gave you something that you would think was close to a full auto."Not," he said, "until now."

In a video, Zimba unloads two clips from two different rifles into a pair of paper targets from 15 yards. All but one of the rounds is in the black. "Proof's in the pudding to me," he says. "As far as I'm concerned, very controllable."

http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article/Add-ons-let-semi-autos-fire-like-military-weapons-4260488.php
  2. 09 Feb '13 02:21
    Originally posted by moon1969
    [quote][b]Add-ons let semi-autos fire like military weapons
    February 7, 2013

BUNNLEVEL, N.C. (AP) — In the video, a shooter cradles a rifle equipped with a grenade launcher and 250-round magazine. But the star of this demonstration, posted online, is a deceptively low-tech plastic device that enables semi-automatics like this one to mimic the wither ...[text shortened]... -like-military-weapons-4260488.php[/b]
    "A bump stock fits over a rifle's "buffer tube," replacing the gun's shoulder rest. A "support step" attached to the pistol grip partially covers the trigger opening, preventing contact with the finger. By holding the pistol grip with one hand and pushing forward on the barrel with the other, the finger comes in contact with the trigger. The recoil causes the gun to buck back and forth, "bumping" the trigger.

So, technically, the finger is "pulling" the trigger for each round fired."

Really? Rate of fire doesn't have a thing to do with accurately aimed shots. It seems to me a very unnatural sequence to aim, then pull the stock back to enable getting to the trigger, then let your finger be squashed back and forth.
  3. 09 Feb '13 02:29
    Originally posted by normbenign
    "A bump stock fits over a rifle's "buffer tube," replacing the gun's shoulder rest. A "support step" attached to the pistol grip partially covers the trigger opening, preventing contact with the finger. By holding the pistol grip with one hand and pushing forward on the barrel with the other, the finger comes in contact with the trigger. The recoil causes ...[text shortened]... to enable getting to the trigger, then let your finger be squashed back and forth.
    In a video, Zimba unloads two clips from two different rifles into a pair of paper targets from 15 yards. All but one of the rounds is in the black. "Proof's in the pudding to me," he says. "As far as I'm concerned, very controllable."
  4. 09 Feb '13 02:39
    Cool!! Sounds like something a citizen should have on hand. Might need it some day if they want to join a militia.
  5. 09 Feb '13 03:08
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Cool!! Sounds like something a citizen should have on hand. Might need it some day if they want to join a militia.
    The "well-regulated militias" used muskets.
  6. 09 Feb '13 03:10
    Thats because that is what the government used too. State of the art technology of the day.
  7. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    09 Feb '13 03:50
    [quote][b]Add-ons let semi-autos fire like military weapons
    February 7, 2013

BUNNLEVEL, N.C. (AP) — In the video, a shooter cradles a rifle equipped with a grenade launcher and 250-round magazine. But the star of this demonstration, posted online, is a deceptively low-tech plastic device that enables semi-automatics like this one to mimic the wither ...[text shortened]... -like-military-weapons-4260488.php[/b]
    Kewl! I didn't know about these before! Thanks man!
  8. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    09 Feb '13 03:51
    Hey I have a cool video for you. Go to YouTube and search on AA-12. Badass man!
  9. 09 Feb '13 05:10
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Kewl! I didn't know about these before! Thanks man!
    Groovy!!!!
  10. 09 Feb '13 05:58
    Groovy!!!!
    Yeah, they will definitely help kill a lot of school children fast. Buy a bunch of 'em, get them in circulation, laying around, to facilitate the mentally ill getting their hands on them.
  11. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    09 Feb '13 18:28 / 2 edits
    Yeah, they will definitely help kill a lot of school children fast. Buy a bunch of 'em, get them in circulation, laying around, to facilitate the mentally ill getting their hands on them.
    Mentally ill - you mean like you, with your violent, homoerotic fantasies?
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    09 Feb '13 19:42
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Mentally ill - you mean like you, with your violent, homoerotic fantasies?
    You seem to have a knack for attracting that type.
  13. 09 Feb '13 19:49
    Moon, you sound like you have a sour stomach. What you need is a ruger 10/22 and a 50 rd magazine and go out to the range and do some shooting. It will make ya feel better!!!
  14. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    09 Feb '13 19:59
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You seem to have a knack for attracting that type.
    Ha! I do, don't I? Always have. In real life too.
  15. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    09 Feb '13 20:00
    Moon, you sound like you have a sour stomach. What you need is a ruger 10/22 and a 50 rd magazine and go out to the range and do some shooting. It will make ya feel better!!!
    Don't encourage him. Did you read what he wanted to do to me? The man is...touched.