Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 18 Nov '15 20:01
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/18/shed-more-tears-when-west-attacked-more-blood-paris-attacks-hollande

"We shed more tears when the West is attacked--and more blood"
    -Amana Fontanella-Khan (18 November 2015)

"Much has been said about the asymmetry of western grief, which weeps
    for Paris and shrugs at blasts in Beirut or Baghdad. ... When terror strikes
    in the west, it is rare that just tears flow. The blood of those we bomb flow too. ...
    ISIS neither has an ideology contagious enough to topple stable governments
    through popular revolution, nor the firepower to spread its ideas through conquest.
    ISIS. in other words, poses no existential threat to the western world."
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    18 Nov '15 20:07 / 1 edit
    In Nigeria, 30 dead.

"The West" didn't do this one.
  3. 18 Nov '15 20:28
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/18/shed-more-tears-when-west-attacked-more-blood-paris-attacks-hollande

for Paris and shrugs at blasts in Beirut or Baghdad. ...[text shortened]... deas through conquest.
    when it hits closer to home more tears will be shed
    the threat will not go away
    you say that ISIS poses no existential threat to the western world
    yet they seem to be escalating in their rhetoric and assaults
    I think the threat is real and it is growing
    ISIS doesn't need to topple governments
    just need to spread terror and change our way of life
    make no mistake
    they want to destroy our way of life
  4. 18 Nov '15 21:11
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    make no mistake
    ISIS helps expose the vast ignorance, stupidity, and prejudices of many Westerners.

"When it hits closer to home more tears will be shed."
    --Lemondrop

Most white people tend to have much more sympathy for other white people when
    they are killed or wounded, no matter where they live. It's not unusual for a white person
    to feel closer to a white person in another country than to a non-white person in the same town.

"The threat will not go away."
    --Lemondrop

I was not aware that ISIS had discovered the secret of immortality (sarcasm intended).

Can Lemondrop even comprehend what is meant by an 'existential threat'?
    Does Lemondrop believe that ISIS has the power to conquer France either by having
    most French people convert to its brand of Islam or by defeating the French military?
    France has nuclear weapons. ISIS evidently does not even have high altitude SAMs.

"They want to destroy our way of life."
    --Lemondrop

That may be so if you happen to live in Iraq, Syria, or other places in ISIS's supposed caliphate.
    I have not yet seen any evidence that ISIS aims to destroy the decadent way of life in (neutral) Switzerland.
    That might have something to do with ISIS not feeling threatened by Swiss military policies.
  5. 18 Nov '15 21:13 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    In Nigeria, 30 dead.

"The West" didn't do this one.
    Sure they did. They emit too many carbon emissions causing climate change.

It just makes them go bonkers and start killing each other.
  6. 18 Nov '15 21:17
    make no mistake
    Those poor countries that were bombed in the Middle East have no power really to respond.

However, the more powerful the countries are when attacked, the more options they have in responding.

Just look at Israel. They are bombed every day and stabbed in the streets, yet any response to retaliate in any way against this is met with harsh criticism and disgust. Maybe they take out a building or two or build a wall in response.

However, the US had three buildings attacked and they took out 2 countries.

I'm sure if countries like Syria were powerful enough they would do the same.
  7. 18 Nov '15 22:31
    ISIS helps expose the vast ignorance, stupidity, and prejudices of many Westerners.

--Lemondrop

they are killed or wounded, no matter where they live. It's not unusual for a white person
    to feel closer to a white ...[text shortened]... d.
    That might have something to do with ISIS not feeling threatened by Swiss military policies.
    I believe ISIS is evil
    they would kill you and your children without any sorrow
    they don't have to conquer or topple governments
    they just have to turn neighbor against neighbor
    as long as western conquering religions exist so will terror
    being well funded and organized
    with an abundance of soft targets to strike and the possibility of acquiring and using more devastating weapons, ISIS posses a clear threat
    what do you think they would do if they ever acquired a nuclear weapon?
  8. 19 Nov '15 00:05
    I believe ISIS is evil
    with an abundance of soft targets to strike and the possibility of acquiring and ...[text shortened]... S posses a clear threat
    Do not forget that they have declared that, they will NOT STOP until there flag is raised in EVERY nation.
  9. 19 Nov '15 02:02 / 1 edit
    I believe ISIS is evil
    with an abundance of soft targets to strike and the possibility of acquiring and ...[text shortened]... S posses a clear threat
    When ISIS leaders read the usual hysterical outbursts coming from many Westerners,
    I suppose they may conclude that these Westerners are hopelessly irrational.

"I believe ISIS is evil."
    --Lemondrop

Can Lemondrop comprehend the major difference between believing that 'ISIS is evil'
    and believing that ISIS is or will be powerful enough to destroy entire nations in Europe?

ISIS is a major regional player in Iraq and Syria. It evidently has a military capability
    somewhere in between a well-armed militia and a lightly to moderately equipped conventional army.
    If ISIS were foolish enough to stand up and fight a conventional battle against the Turkish Army,
    for instance, I expect that ISIS would be crushed. ISIS has not even been able to
    destroy the Kurdish (largely irregular) forces, let alone a well-trained professional army.

I
  10. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    19 Nov '15 07:08

for Paris and shrugs at blasts in Beirut or Baghdad. ...[text shortened]... deas through conquest.
    So, are you Sunni, or Shia?

If the West disgusts you so much, you're welcome to go join ISIS.

And good luck with that.
  11. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    19 Nov '15 08:14

--Lemondrop

to feel closer to a white ...[text shortened]... d.
    It is normal for people to feel more sympathy for their own kind, regardless of their skin color. Blacks in America demonstrate this with their "black life matters" movement while becoming hostile, if anyone points out that white lives also matter.
  12. 19 Nov '15 08:20
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is normal for people to feel more sympathy for their own kind, regardless of their skin color. Blacks in America demonstrate this with their "black life matters" movement while becoming hostile, if anyone points out that white lives also matter.
    Agreed.

Even the writer of the article posted in the OP hints to this:

"Like many, I shed tears for Paris. I have lived there and spent much of the weekend grieving with friends who know and love the city."
  13. 19 Nov '15 09:22
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    So, are you Sunni, or Shia?

If the West disgusts you so much, you're welcome to go join ISIS.

And good luck with that.
    As usual you knee jerk reaction has missed the point entirely.

The outpouring of grief for the terrorist attacks in Paris are wildly disproportionate to any similar attacks in nations seen as non-Western. If the same attacks had occurred in Turkey, Egypt, or even Russia, the Ukraine, China and Kenya the response would have been far smaller. The basic reason is simply that it seems closer to home (even though that is hardly true for most of us). A combination of culture, media, economic and other factors rather than geography affects what we see us 'us' or 'them'.
  14. 19 Nov '15 18:45 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is normal for people to feel more sympathy for their own kind, regardless of their skin color.
    Blacks in America demonstrate this with their "black life matters" movement while becoming hostile,
    if anyone points out that white lives also matter.
    "It is normal for people to feel more sympathy for their own kind, regardless of skin color."
    --RJHinds

RJHinds is an extreme right-wing white American who, as I recall, has complained about
    how white people are allegedly being terribly oppressed in Africa (South Africa or Zimbabwe)
    while showing no such concern for how black people are being mistreated in the USA.
    Black people are more likely than white people to be the victims of violence in the USA.

If a 'terrorist' bomb had exploded in a Belfast, then wouldn't most Protestants there have
    been relieved if it had happened in a Catholic neighbourhood and most Catholics there
    been relieved if it had happened in a Protestant neighbourhood? I am not saying that
    Protestants could not feel sorry for the loss of innocent Catholic lives or vice versa.
  15. 19 Nov '15 18:50
    Originally posted by twhitehead to Suzianne
    As usual you knee jerk reaction has missed the point entirely.

The outpouring of grief for the terrorist attacks in Paris are wildly disproportionate to any similar attacks in nations seen as non-Western. If the same attacks had occurred in Turkey, Egypt, or even Russia, the Ukraine, China and Kenya the response would have been far smaller. ...[text shortened]... , media, economic and other factors rather than geography affects what we see us 'us' or 'them'.
    "A combination of culture, media, economic and other factors rather than geography
    affects what we (as) 'us' or 'them'."
    --Twhitehead

Quite so. Greece is adjacent to Turkey. I would submit there would be much more
    Western sympathy if 100 Greeks rather than 100 Turks were killed in a 'terrorist' attack.

Many, if not most, Westerners are deeply in denial about the depths of their racism and other bigotry.