Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 22 Aug '12 05:28
    The latest NBC poll has Romney's African American support at..... zero.

    http://leanforward.msnbc.com/_news/2012/08/21/13400848-new-nbcwsj-poll-shows-zero-percent-support-for-romney-among-african-americans?chromedomain=thelastword&lite
  2. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    22 Aug '12 10:41
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    The latest NBC poll has Romney's African American support at..... zero.

    http://leanforward.msnbc.com/_news/2012/08/21/13400848-new-nbcwsj-poll-shows-zero-percent-support-for-romney-among-african-americans?chromedomain=thelastword&lite
    That's why the Republicans are actively engaged in voter suppression tactics. The only way they can win is if they restrict the vote to angry white males.
  3. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    22 Aug '12 11:42
    Look, we each got a negative vote from an angry white male.
  4. 22 Aug '12 12:27
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    The latest NBC poll has Romney's African American support at..... zero.

    http://leanforward.msnbc.com/_news/2012/08/21/13400848-new-nbcwsj-poll-shows-zero-percent-support-for-romney-among-african-americans?chromedomain=thelastword&lite
    This is a surprise, or debatable?
  5. 22 Aug '12 12:29
    Originally posted by rwingett
    That's why the Republicans are actively engaged in voter suppression tactics. The only way they can win is if they restrict the vote to angry white males.
    Puleeze! You are the definition of the angry white male.
  6. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    22 Aug '12 12:44
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Puleeze! You are the definition of the angry white male.
    I wouldn't be so angry if other angry white males weren't so stupid.
  7. 22 Aug '12 12:50
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I wouldn't be so angry if other angry white males weren't so stupid.
    Other people's stupidity angers you? How compassionate?
  8. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    22 Aug '12 13:12
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Other people's stupidity angers you? How compassionate?
    If they were stupid on an island somewhere, I wouldn't care. But their stupidity is impacting me in a negative way.
  9. 22 Aug '12 13:23
    Originally posted by rwingett
    If they were stupid on an island somewhere, I wouldn't care. But their stupidity is impacting me in a negative way.
    Are you equating differing with your opinion to stupidity? Too much free speech, and opinions?

    That freedom to think could be viewed by some as dangerous, some like Hitler, and Stalin.
  10. 22 Aug '12 13:25
    Originally posted by rwingett
    If they were stupid on an island somewhere, I wouldn't care. But their stupidity is impacting me in a negative way.
    Perhaps I've misunderstood. Are you unemployed and want a President interested in fixing that problem?
  11. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    22 Aug '12 13:43
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Are you equating differing with your opinion to stupidity? Too much free speech, and opinions?

    That freedom to think could be viewed by some as dangerous, some like Hitler, and Stalin.
    Won't you please just go to an island somewhere? We'll give you all of Beaver Island. You can transform it into the libertarian dystopia of your dreams. Come on, what do you say?
  12. 22 Aug '12 14:17 / 1 edit
    "[...]statistically significant sample of more than 100 [...]"

    Err? Well, let's just say 0-5% of blacks, then.
  13. 22 Aug '12 17:11
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    "[...]statistically significant sample of more than 100 [...]"

    Err? Well, let's just say 0-5% of blacks, then.
    Yeah, I'm certain that Romney will get some black votes. But I think it's remarkable that of 110 randomly selected, not one of them supports Romney.

    This may well be the most polarized election since 1972, only these days there are many more liberal voters to balance things out.
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    22 Aug '12 17:14
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Yeah, I'm certain that Romney will get some black votes. But I think it's remarkable that of 110 randomly selected, not one of them supports Romney.

    This may well be the most polarized election since 1972, only these days there are many more liberal voters to balance things out.
    What's so polarized about this election? The rhetoric may be intense, but the historical positions of the two candidates are so similar to the point that if you looked at the totality of their records, you'd have a hard time distinguishing between them.
  15. 22 Aug '12 17:35
    Originally posted by sh76
    What's so polarized about this election? The rhetoric may be intense, but the historical positions of the two candidates are so similar to the point that if you looked at the totality of their records, you'd have a hard time distinguishing between them.
    I agree that the candidates themselves probably aren't that far about, but their respective constituencies are caught up in a very profound culture war. It's not so much the policies, which most people don't even really get, but what each candidate represents in cultural terms - Obama being the slick urban black pseudo-intellectual elitist, and Romney representing the wealthy religious fanatic anti-woman, etc. ignorant whatever - I'm deliberately phrasing both in negative terms. Notice that both Obama and Ryan were trying to discuss the economy yesterday, and the media only covered both speeches in passing. The abortion/women's rights/culture war issues are dictating the coverage, thanks to Akin. The blogs are on fire over it.