Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 21 Jul '10 01:33
    http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20100720/US.USDA.Racism.Resignation/

And we heard this from Glen Beck today,, the man's good!! he sets the bar, the other try to follow
  2. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    21 Jul '10 01:45 / 1 edit
    Sherrod said she was on the road Monday when USDA deputy undersecretary Cheryl Cook called her and told her the White House wanted her to resign because her comments were generating a cable news controversy.

"They called me twice," she told The Associated Press in an interview. "The last time they asked me to pull over to the side of the road and submit my resignation on my Blackberry, and that's what I did."

Sherrod said administration officials weren't interested in hearing her explanation. "It hurts me that they didn't even try to attempt to see what is happening here, they didn't care," she said. "I'm not a racist ... Anyone who knows me knows that I'm for fairness."

That's cold.
  3. 21 Jul '10 01:53
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy

Sherrod said administration officials weren't interested in hearing her explanation. "It hurts me that they didn't even try to attempt to see what is happening here, they didn't care," she said. "I'm not a racist ... Anyone who knows me knows that I'm for fairness."

Ahhhhh, equality is coming.

How many white people have said something similar in their defense when being accused of racism over an innocuous comment they made, only to be swept away and fired because public opinion demanded it?
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    21 Jul '10 02:28
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham

How many white people have said something similar in their defense when being accused of racism over an innocuous comment they made, only to be swept away and fired because public opinion demanded it?
    Yep. See, diversity has it's good points!
  5. 21 Jul '10 02:30

Jimmy The Greek come to mind.
  6. 21 Jul '10 03:01
    Cruz Bustamante wasn't forced to step down, but he wasn't white (unless you're taking a headcount for the census).

http://news.pacificnews.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=7a44bcc443947a8a5ed9d7d7f47c1d21
  7. 21 Jul '10 12:50 / 1 edit
    Sherrod said she was on the road Monday when USDA deputy undersecretary Cheryl Cook called her and told her the White House wanted her to resign because her comments were generating a cable news controversy.

"They called me twice," she told The Associated Press in an interview. "The last time they asked me to pull over to the side of the road and sub racist ... Anyone who knows me knows that I'm for fairness."

That's cold.
    on Morning Joe, they have people on the show from the left, right, and center -- and there was unanimous agreement that:

1. you don't fire someone via text message while they're on the highway.
    2. you don't fire someone for something they said 24 years ago without first viewing the entire tape, and getting their side of the story.
    3. you don't fire someone because you're afraid of what Glenn Beck might say about it.

It is time for Obama and his administration to ignore all of the talkshows and all of the bloggers and all of the tweets and all of the polls, and just $%&* govern.
  8. 21 Jul '10 13:18
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    on Morning Joe, they have people on the show from the left, right, and center -- and there was unanimous agreement that:

2. you don't fire someone for something they said 24 years ago without first viewing the entire tape, and getting their side of the story.
    3. you don't fire s ...[text shortened]... s and all of the bloggers and all of the tweets and all of the polls, and just $%&* govern.
    As for #2 you don't fire anyone without at least getting the entire context no matter how long ago the incident happened.

With respect to this kind of thing Obama is a coward who is willing to throw anyone under the bus instead of actually making a case.
  9. 21 Jul '10 13:29 / 1 edit
    She wasn't in trouble for something she SAID 24 years ago , she was in trouble for telling about something she DID 24 years ago and getting a load of amens and chuckles from the crowd like it was a good thing.
  10. 21 Jul '10 13:57
    She wasn't in trouble for something she SAID 24 years ago , she was in trouble for telling about something she DID 24 years ago and getting a load of amens and chuckles from the crowd like it was a good thing.
    What? Saving their farm?

She did help them and if you saw the full context you would know that.
  11. 21 Jul '10 14:10
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    What? Saving their farm?

She did help them and if you saw the full context you would know that.
    I did see the full context.

She said she didn't do everything she could have done because he was white.

The crowd thought that was great.

That's why the hub-bub.

If you saw the full context you would know that.
  12. 21 Jul '10 14:21
    I did see the full context.

She said she didn't do everything she could have done because he was white.

The crowd thought that was great.

That's why the hub-bub.

If you saw the full context you would know that.
    She said that at first, yes. However then the tape continued to say much more.

She wasn't fired for the full context version, only the poorly edited one.
  13. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    21 Jul '10 14:21
    I understand your point Sam. Obviously what she did 24 years ago was racist, and she knew it. But I think she was admitting to something she regretted and was penitent about, using her own youthful poor judgment as an example of what not to do. And, as noted, she did eventually do the right thing, apparently gaining a wider perspective out of the experience. That, plus 24 years of experience in between, likely made her the ideal person for the job she recently had.

But no, our brilliant management team in the White House demanded she pull out of traffic and resign via text message without considering any of that context. And what the hell are Breitbart and Fox doing running the story and video without any of that context either? I think she got the shaft.
  14. 21 Jul '10 14:47 / 2 edits
    I understand your point Sam. Obviously what she did 24 years ago was racist, and she knew it. But I think she was admitting to something she regretted and was penitent about, using her own youthful poor judgment as an example of what not to do. And, as noted, she did eventually do the right thing, apparently gaining a wider perspective out of the experi ...[text shortened]... oing running the story and video without any of that context either? I think she got the shaft.
    A number of times during his term of office, Obama administration has specifically attacked Fox News, and people like Rush Limbaugh. As if this is going to do anything but further embolden his critics.

Someone needs to tell Obama that anyone who is president of the US is going to face harsh criticism, mostly from trolls who are being paid to criticize the president. Be more like Reagan and ignore them.
  15. 21 Jul '10 14:59
    3. you don't fire someone because you're afraid of what Glenn Beck might say about it.
    Which is why you ask them to resign. Firing them could lead to legal problems.