Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 06:522 edits
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna886851

Ocasio-Cortez, a 28-year-old Bernie Sanders campaign organizer with no electoral experience, upset a top-ranking Democrat with eyes on the House speakership.
    "...won campaigning on progressive policies like Medicare for All and abolishing Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE)."

Finally some good news
  2. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 07:19
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi

Ocasio-Cortez, a 28-year-old Bernie Sanders campaign organizer with no electoral experience, upset a top-ranking Democrat with eyes on the House speakership.
    "...won campaigning on progressive policies like Medicare for All and abolishing Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE)."

Finally some good news
    After 40 long years, the pendulum is finally swinging back to the left.
    I just pray that it's not too late.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 11:26

Finally some good news
    Indeed, I was happy to see this as well.
  4. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 11:51

Finally some good news
    A staunch Trump hater ousted!
  5. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 13:32
    ...Medicare for All and abolishing Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
    Great plan. Without borders medicare will have so many benefit recipients it will pay for itself!
  6. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 13:45

Any sick people in the world can go to the US for free healthcare.

zahlanzi sees nothing wrong with these two 'progressive policies" side by side.

zahlanzi logic 🙄
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 13:512 edits
    Sounds great that new blood can come into DC but a much bigger issue, in fact THE issue is the national debt. Already 21 trillion dollars which Trump touted he would take care of that, but the tax cut has already made it 2 trillion more than it was in Obama times.
    Projected to be 33 trillion in just ten years, not even factoring in the tariff wars. When we start losing jobs to companies moving elsewhere to avoid tariffs, like already happening with Harley Davidson, that is just the tip of the iceberg and the 33 trillion number is based on the US keeping up with the 3% growth rate it now enjoys, but that 3% will be down the tubes and a new recession will take place if this trade war insanity does not stop.
    So we better start learning Mandarin to be ready when the national debt goes to 100 trillion and we become a protectorate of China.

Mott the Hoople will scoff and all the rest of the Trump lovers but that is THE issue facing the US that could lead to there BEING no USA.

I'll be long gone by then but you all better start serious figuring on what to do about it, hide your head in the sand or start voting this POTUS out of office before it's too late.

All this from a historical perspective of ten or twenty years ago will put Trump firmly at the bottom of the list of ALL past POTUS. Trump lovers, take heed of what I just said if you think I am full of BS look at this:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/216998/forecast-of-the-federal-debt-of-the-united-states/

Remember, this is just the tip of the iceberg, assuming the US goes on with its present growth rate which will be in the toilet when the trade wars starts hitting the US bigtime.
    Also the SCUTUS is set to kill unions in today's case, after the travel ban from yesterday.

Yessir, the USA is not the same as it used to be, forget world power, think SURVIVE as a country.

Well one thing, Native Americans may get their country back again. And that would be a good thing.

But OF COURSE I will be labeled a nut case paranoid. I already figured that one out. Good luck when the debt approaches the 100 trillion dollar mark. BTW, the projection shows it may be far higher than even that, more like 150 trillion.
    Try THINKING about that possibility before you just pronounce me a nut case.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 14:01
    Originally posted by @sleepyguy
    Great plan. Without borders medicare will have so many benefit recipients it will pay for itself!
    Yes, because abolishing ICE means you are disolving you borders. How about you find out what ICE does before you vomit your ignorance.

Also great job going for the bonus ingoramus points as illegal immigrants don't receive medicare
  9. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 14:12
    Originally posted by @sleepyguy
    ICE didn't exist until 2003; we didn't have borders before then?
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 16:25
    It would generally be nice if elected federal officials actually had some, you know, experience running things.

At least Congresspeople don't have to do very much but toe the party line and give a press conference now and then.
  11. Garner, NC
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 16:401 edit

Finally some good news
    I'm perplexed.

Edit:
    Let me focus more. I know these specific questions will lead to red-herrings and debates about fine points.

The big question: For those in favor of no ICE enforcement, do you foresee any negative (perhaps unintended) consequences of this policy?

End Edit:

Honest questions here. For those that favor non-ICE enforcement, how do you think it is going to play out? What will be the US population after 10 years of open borders? Can anyone come here for unlimited medical care at the US taxpayers expense? If not, what prevents it? Is the US the only country in the world that has no right to enforce border control entry requirements, or is the plan to eliminate borders entirely? And if it is the latter, how will things play out when the US opens itself for all comers first, how will it play out since the US will be the only one to do so?

I'm not a hater of non-US citizens, but I believe the best approach is to keep some pressure for failed/near-failed states to reform themselves.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 17:22
    Originally posted by @techsouth
    I'm perplexed.

Edit:
    Let me focus more. I know these specific questions will lead to red-herrings and debates about fine points.

The big question: For those in favor of no ICE enforcement, do you foresee any negative (perhaps unintended) consequences of this policy?

End Edit:

Honest questions here. For those that favor non-ICE enforcement, ...[text shortened]... e the best approach is to keep some pressure for failed/near-failed states to reform themselves.
    "For those in favor of no ICE enforcement, do you foresee any negative (perhaps unintended) consequences of this policy?"

All the other mechanisms put in place to deal with immigrants. Or sure, put forward a plan to reform them.
    Right now, ice is highly abusive and entirely redundant

"Can anyone come here for unlimited medical care at the US taxpayers expense? "
    Illegals are barred from receiving medicare. Illegals are barred from receiving unlimited medic al care at the us taxpayers expense. Not even full citizens receive that because americans are awesome, how could illegals get it?
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 17:33
    Originally posted by @sh76
    It would generally be nice if elected federal officials actually had some, you know, experience running things.

At least Congresspeople don't have to do very much but toe the party line and give a press conference now and then.
    Yes, like Trump. Or Paul Ryan. Orrin hatch. McCain. McConnell. elected officials should be more like them, right?

Or you're talking about the fabled billionaire who built his company from the ground up but still remembers growing up poor and now selflessly abandoned his trillion dollar company to help the little people and run the country like his company because running a meat caning company (for example) is totally similar to running a country of 300 million?
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 18:261 edit
    YouTube

Crowley had less than 1% of his campaign money comming from small donors (less than 200$ ). Ocazio-Cortez had 70% of her money coming from small donors. Not counting volunteers who couldn't donate money but donated their time.

This is what i am talking about. This is why the support of the people counts a million times more than "experience". Do you think people would have supported her if she came off as a moron who can't run anything? People trusted her to have their interests at heart and trusted her to at least try and do good. If you're going to say that "well her lack of experience means she can't possibly predict the outcomes of her decisions" i must remind you that you had the economical crisis happen because people with "experience" either couldn't predict the collapse or didn't care enough to stop it. Then you had people with "experience" vote to give those responsible huge bailouts (when they should have been left to collapse and thrown in jail). And now people with "experience" are voting to deregulate Wall Street and give huge tax cuts to the rich and i just made a thread where 85 people with "experience" voted for a huge increase to an already obscene military budget (only 10 voted against).

Mmyeah, keep your people with experience.
  15. Garner, NC
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 18:31
    "For those in favor of no ICE enforcement, do you foresee any negative (perhaps unintended) consequences of this policy?"

All the other mechanisms put in place to deal with immigrants. Or sure, put forward a plan to reform them.
    Right now, ice is highly abusive and entirely redundant

"Can anyone come here for unlimited medical care at the US taxpaye ...[text shortened]... e. Not even full citizens receive that because americans are awesome, how could illegals get it?
    With estimated 11 million illegal immigrants in the US, it doesn't seem to me that ICE is entirely redundant. Some job is not being done.

And if ICE is highly abusive, how many more illegals would be here if there wasn't an "abusive" agency in action?

And the candidate ran on the platform of eliminating ICE enforcement. I don't get the impression she's thinking of a reorg and assigning the task to a more kind organization.

But from your answer, I'm surmising you see no negative/unintended consequences of eliminating ICE enforcement.