Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    22 Mar '18 22:403 edits
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Yoshihiro_Hattori

"Yoshihiro Hattori ... was a [16 year old] Japanese exchange student who
    was shot dead while residing in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States.
    Hattori was on his way to a Halloween party and went to the wrong house by mistake.
    The property owner, Rodney Peairs [1] shot and killed Hattori, thinking
    he was trespassing with criminal intent. The homicide and Peairs' acquittal
    in the state court of Louisiana received worldwide attention."

"District Attorney Doug Moreau concentrated on establishing that it had
    not been reasonable for Peairs, a 6-foot-2-inch tall, well-armed man, to
    be so fearful of a polite, friendly, unarmed, 130-pound boy who rang the
    doorbell, even if he walked toward him unexpectedly in the driveway,
    and that Peairs was not justified in using deadly force."

"The jury returned a not guilty verdict after deliberating for approximately three hours."

The victim's not white; the defendant's white. The American jury may have been all-white.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/22/gun-control-japanese-mother-march-for-our-lives-campaign-parkland-students

"Yoshi’s death in 1992 might have fallen out of the headlines if it weren’t
    for the tireless efforts of Yoshi’s parents, who went on to become active
    campaigners for gun law reform in the US."

"Peairs claimed he had used his .44 Magnum equipped with a laser sight
    in self-defence when Hattori failed to stop. It was unclear whether Hattori
    understood Peairs’s command to “freeze!”"

While Yoshi Hattori had studied English in Japan, he apparently was not
    familiar with all American idioms. 'Freeze' is an idiomatic way of saying 'Stop'.
    If he had heard 'Stop!' rather than 'Freeze!', it seems more likely that he would
    have understood and complied with that command. There has been some
    speculation (given a common Japanese confusion of 'R' and 'L' consonant sounds)
    that he might have misunderstood 'Freeze!' (in a Southern accent) as 'Please!'.
  2. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    22 Mar '18 23:15
    I doubt you get an all white jury in Lousyana. And I won't even walk onto someones property w/o being invited. Darwin at it again. The evil white man again. Give it up.
  3. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    22 Mar '18 23:32
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Yoshihiro_Hattori

"Yoshihiro Hattori ... was a [16 year old] Japanese exchange student who
    was shot dead while residing in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States.
    Hattori was on his way to a Halloween party and went to the wrong house by mistake.
    The property owner, Rodney Peairs [1] shot and killed Hattori, ...[text shortened]... nsonant sounds)
    that he might have misunderstood 'Freeze!' (in a Southern accent) as 'Please!'.
    Do you have photos of the ripples?
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 00:332 edits
    Originally posted by @kquinn909
    I doubt you get an all white jury in Lousyana. And I won't even walk onto someones property w/o being invited.
    Darwin at it again. The evil white man again. Give it up.
    Kquinn909 has a long record of dishonesty in service of his white racial supremacist beliefs.

"I doubt you get an all white jury in Lousyana."
    --Kquinn909

The racist Kquinn909's eager to deny that all-white juries exist in the South or that they
    have any record (which is internationally notorious) of racial prejudice in their verdicts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/02/us/02jury.html?pagewanted=all

"Study Finds Blacks Blocked From Southern Juries"

"But today, the practice of excluding blacks and other minorities from Southern juries remains
    widespread and, according to defense lawyers and a new study by the Equal Justice Initiative,
    a nonprofit human rights and legal services organization in Montgomery, Ala., largely unchecked."

"An analysis of Jefferson Parish, La., by the Louisiana Capital Assistance Center found that
    from 1999 to 2007, blacks were struck from juries at more than three times the rate of whites.
    In North Carolina, at least 26 current death row defendants were sentenced by all-white juries.
    In South Carolina, a prosecutor said he struck a black potential juror because he “shucked and jived”
    when he walked."

"Studies have shown that racially diverse juries deliberate longer, consider a wider variety
    of perspectives and make fewer factual errors than all-white juries ..."

In reality, racism continues to make all-white juries a common reality that tends to deprive
    non-white people (whether as defendants or victims) of equal justice under the law.

I would expect many white Americans here (such as Kquinn909) to approve strongly of a
    white man shooting and killing a much smaller unarmed 16 year old Japanese student.
    I note that the student had been invited to a residence and accidentally went to the wrong address.
    Obviously (sarcasm intended for the benefit of the racist trolls), 'racially superior' white men
    must be in imminent fear of being killed whenever they meet much smaller unarmed Asians
    (who might be stereotyped as martial arts experts), so they must quickly shoot to kill every time.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 00:351 edit
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Do you have photos of the ripples?
    Would the racist troll Mchill love to tell Yoshi Hattori's parents that he deserved to have
    been shot and killed by a white American man 'heroically' defending his home and life?
  6. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 01:571 edit
    Would the racist troll Mchill love to tell Yoshi Hattori's parents that he deserved to have
    been shot and killed by a white American man 'heroically' defending his home and life?
    Yes Duchess, and when white males are killed by non whites, you jump to their defence too, Right??🙄
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 02:02
    Yes Duchess, we know. Everything is always the white man's fault. Everyone else is perfect.😴
    In this case, the racist troll Mchill presumably wants to blame only Yoshi Hattori, an unarmed
    16 year old Japanese student for getting shot to death by an American white man (who
    might well be acclaimed as a folk hero by racist white Americans).
  8. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 02:061 edit
    In this case, the racist troll Mchill presumably wants to blame only Yoshi Hattori, an unarmed
    16 year old Japanese student for getting shot to death by an American white man (who
    might well be acclaimed as a folk hero by racist white Americans).
    In this case, the racist troll Mchill presumably wants to blame only Yoshi Hattori

As usual, Duchess "presumes" incorrectly. I'm not blaming anyone for anything. Just accurately pointing out your own obvious racism.😲
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 02:13
    Yes Duchess, and when white males are killed by non whites, you jump to their defence too, Right??🙄
    The racist troll Mchill prefers to ignore the context.
    IF an unarmed 16 year old white male student had knocked on the door of a much
    bigger non-white man and been quickly shot dead, then I would condemn that as well.

Given Mchill's deep sense of 'racial solidarity' with other white people, Mchill may have
    hastened to support his fellow whites in South Africa who fought fiercely for apartheid.
    Some of these heavily armed white men were killed by black men in the anti-apartheid resistance.
    Would Mchill regard these white men as the innocent victims of black terrorism?
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 02:16
    In this case, the racist troll Mchill presumably wants to blame only Yoshi Hattori

As usual, Duchess "presumes" incorrectly. I'm not blaming anyone for anything. Just accurately pointing out your own obvious racism.😲
    Mchill apparently confirms that he assigns no responsibility to the American white man
    who quickly shot and killed a much smaller unarmed 16 year old Japanese student.
  11. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 07:09
    I wonder why all the black people getting killed by the use of guns in Chicago gets so little attention.
  12. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 07:31
    Kquinn909 has a long record of dishonesty in service of his white racial supremacist beliefs.

"I doubt you get an all white jury in Lousyana."
    --Kquinn909

The racist Kquinn909's eager to deny that all-white juries exist in the South or that they
    have any record (which is internationally notorious) of racial prejudice in their verdicts.

http:// ...[text shortened]... ho might be stereotyped as martial arts experts), so they must quickly shoot to kill every time.
    You haven't a clue. I lived in Mississippi and La. for many yrs. Quit talking about nothing you have a clue about. You are the racist troll.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 07:51
    You haven't a clue. I lived in Mississippi and La. for many yrs. Quit talking about nothing you have a clue about. You are the racist troll.
    Given the endemic racism and common white racial supremacist beliefs among the white
    Americans here, I am hardly surprised that none of these white Americans has criticized
    another white American man for quickly shooting and killing a much smaller unarmed
    16 year old Japanese student. These white Americans apparently have complete
    empathy with the white American killer and no empathy for his non-white victim.
  14. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 08:07
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    I wonder why all the black people getting killed by the use of guns in Chicago gets so little attention.
    Maybe it’s because nearly all of the black people being killed in Chicago aren’t being killed by whites so there’s no racial axe to grind.
  15. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 08:30
    I doubt you get an all white jury in Lousyana. And I won't even walk onto someones property w/o being invited. Darwin at it again. The evil white man again. Give it up.
    If I get lost in America, remind me never to knock on someone's door to ask for directions. Might end up dead, although I will have a better chance than Yoshihiro Hattori.

Everywhere else this would be considered madness. But no, it is tirelessly defended.