Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 26 May '11 05:47
    http://www.jstandard.com/index.php/content/item/poll_jewish_support_for_obama_falling/

In a recent poll, it was shown that American Jewish support for president Obama is waning significantly since March 2009. Overall support has waned from March 2009 with 79% approval to today's approval at around 51%.

In terms of approval specific to US-Israeli relations, today only 49% approve. Just last March the approval was 55%.

Conversly, support for Netanyahu has risen to 62% compared to 57% just last March.

I think the results are obvious. The recent decision by Obama to support a return to the 1967 border has caused many American Jews to turn their backs on President Obama.

So why is this significant? After all, how important are American Jews to the hopes of Barak Obama to win in 2012? On the one hand, their numbers are not that large, however, many conspiracy theorists I have listened to insist that the US government bows to Jewish interests. So if Obama wins in 2012, will this finally put the nail in the coffin of such conspiracy theories?
  2. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    26 May '11 06:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.jstandard.com/index.php/content/item/poll_jewish_support_for_obama_falling/

In a recent poll, it was shown that American Jewish support for president Obama is waning significantly since March 2009. Overall support has waned from March 2009 with 79% approval to today's approval at around 51%.

In terms of approval specific to US-Israeli relati ...[text shortened]... f Obama wins in 2012, will this finally put the nail in the coffin of such conspiracy theories?
    Obama calculated that well. Would American Jews suddenly turn and support a Republican? He doesn't think so.
  3. 26 May '11 06:08
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    Obama calculated that well. Would American Jews suddenly turn and support a Republican? He doesn't think so.
    The Jewish block has traditionally supported the Dems. Block voting is a hard thing to break but according to these polls the break is occuring.

Do you even think Obama cares? Perhaps he is more interested in energizing his base who hate zionists instead of trying to appeal to American Jews who always seem to vote Democrat anyway.
  4. 26 May '11 07:27
    Do you even think Obama cares? Perhaps he is more interested in energizing his base who hate zionists instead of trying to appeal to American Jews who always seem to vote Democrat anyway.
    I would hope that he is trying to bring peace to the middle east, but knowing Americans and their love of playing political games at the expense of honesty and the rest of the world, I have my reservations.
  5. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    26 May '11 08:32
    You are laying out your theory based on some polling figures. What proportion of the swing voters who swept Obama into office do you think "hates zionists"? What proportion "opposes zionism"? What proportion, for all intents and purposes, supports Israel come what may?
  6. 26 May '11 08:42
    The Jewish block has traditionally supported the Dems. Block voting is a hard thing to break but according to these polls the break is occuring.

For starters your thread opened up with a falsehood. He did not say he wants to return Israel back to 1967 borders. He said that should be a starting part for mutual land swaps.

As to your question, here's a thought. Perhaps Obama's position on Israel is actually based on what he thinks is best for the peace process (gasp!)
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    26 May '11 08:43
    Perhaps he is more interested in energizing his base who hate zionists ....
    I what way does:

"The borders of Israel and Palestine should be based on the 1967 lines with mutually agreed swaps, so that secure and recognized borders are established for both states" ...

... embrace "hatred" of zionists or energize those who "hate zionists"?

You assert that Obama is appealing to hatred with his proposal. Can you explain this assertion with specific reference to what Obama actually said?
  8. 26 May '11 08:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    I what way does:

[b]"The borders of Israel and Palestine should be based on the 1967 lines with mutually agreed swaps, so that secure and recognized borders are established for both states"

... embrace "hatred" of zionists or energize those who "hate zionists"?

You assert that Obama is appealing to hatred with his proposal. Can you explain this assertion with specific reference to what Obama actually said?[/b]
    SShhhhh! Don't interrupt Whodey's narrative with things like transcripts.
  9. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    26 May '11 09:06

In terms of approval specific to US-Israeli relati ...[text shortened]... f Obama wins in 2012, will this finally put the nail in the coffin of such conspiracy theories?
    I don't understand how an American Jew can support Israel's policies in Palestine, anyway.

You'd think humanity would be a higher ideal than religion.
  10. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 May '11 12:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I don't understand how an American Jew can support Israel's policies in Palestine, anyway.

You'd think humanity would be a higher ideal than religion.
    Well, I don't understand how Arabs and Muslims around the world can support Hamas' philosophies and tactics, so we're even I guess.
  11. 26 May '11 18:40
    Originally posted by sh76
    Well, I don't understand how Arabs and Muslims around the world can support Hamas' philosophies and tactics, so we're even I guess.
    oh, of course, the "its ok if they do it too" cop out.
  12. 27 May '11 07:51
    Obama will collect at minimum 70 percent of the Jewish vote. They are the second most liberal ethnic voting bloc (after African Americans) and they are no single-issue voters. Additionally, many Jews support a return to the 1967 borders, though some may hesitate with regard to the Golan Heights while insanity rules Syria.
  13. 27 May '11 07:55
    Gallop has a different polling story by the way.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/traditional-jews-support-obamas-remarks-122457423.html

"A recent Gallop poll shows 50% of today's young American Jews are not comfortable with the idea of a 'Jewish' state at all."
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    27 May '11 13:30
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Obama will collect at minimum 70 percent of the Jewish vote. They are the second most liberal ethnic voting bloc (after African Americans) and they are no single-issue voters. Additionally, many Jews support a return to the 1967 borders, though some may hesitate with regard to the Golan Heights while insanity rules Syria.
    All true.
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    27 May '11 18:07 / 2 edits
    You know, despite all the white flight from Los Angeles to Arizona, a LOT of Jews are still here, wearing their Jew outfits openly in public. I wonder why they didn't go to Arizona?

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t790288/