Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 May '18 21:28
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tomi-lahren-attacks-u-immigrants-153708864.html

"Tomi Lahren Attacks U.S. Immigrants, Gets Burned by Eye-Opening Lesson on Her Own Family Tree"

"Fox News pundit Tomi Lahren just got a lesson on her own family
    lineage after she criticized immigrants who come to the U.S. with
    “low skills, low education, not understanding the language.”

Genealogist Jennifer Mendelsohn — whose Twitter project Resistance
    Genealogy aims to expose the hypocrisy of nativists, often within the
    Trump administration, by revealing their own immigrant histories — took
    Lahren to task..."

"“You don’t just come into this country with low skills, low education,
    not understanding the language and come into our country because someone
    says it makes them feel nice,” Lahren, 25, told Fox News host Jesse Watters"

According to other news sources, Toni Lahren essentially said that poor people
    or non-speakers of English should not be allowed to become immigrants in the USA.
    (So I suppose that rich Irish people would be acceptable to her.)

"But according to Mendelsohn, “the 1930 census says Tomi’s 3x great-grandmother
    had been here for 41 years and still spoke German.”
    Her 2nd great-grandmother had been here for 10 yrs. Spoke no English,”
    Mendelsohn tweeted, also including the documentation. “Her great-grandfather’s
    1895 baptism from MN? Recorded in Norwegian.”

But weren't Lahren's ancestors WHITE? That's what's most important, now and then

Would white American nativists welcome non-white people with advanced
    degrees from Anglophone universities ahead of ordinary white people
    from non-English-speaking European countries? I doubt it.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 May '18 21:34
    I wonder how the first native Americans feel about immigration.

Just conjure up Chief Crazy Horse and ask him.
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 May '18 21:39
    When some of my relatives were immigrants ('fresh off the boat' ) in the USA, they lived in a slum,
    where their children grew up. The father (who had been a teacher in his homeland) spoke
    hardly any English and could find work only as a manual laborer. Being non-white, he was
    excluded by racist labor unions (at that time) from working in higher-paying skilled labor fields.
    Eventually, he learned how to speak passable English, albeit with a noticeable accent.
    His wife (who stayed home to take care of the children) hardly learned English at all.

Despite growing up in a slum. all the children earned university degrees, and most of them
    earned graduate degrees (some more than one). The daughters earned degrees in
    science or engineering. A son overcame a few early 'brushes with the law' (he grew up
    in street gang territory) and earned a MBA, though he encountered major institutional racism
    (hitting the 'glass ceiling' at a middle level) when he went to work for white corporate America.

My relatives' stories are not that unusual. Born into poor non-English-speaking immigrant
    families in conditions of hardship, they were able to overcome racism or sexism to a
    considerable extent, though not completely, and enter the American middle class.
  4. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    15 May '18 03:56
    One of the differences, though, was that her great-grandparents were literally invited to settle the country, and immigration was legally limited for a very long time to free white persons. When it was even legally opened to allow Asians to become citizens, there simply was imposed a very strict set of quotas that was not overturned until the mid 1960s.

Of course, you would not celebrate such a thing, but this is a significant difference.

Moreover, how would anyone know if a random 19th century German woman living somewhere in the upper midwest never learned English? Are there really meticulous records of her great, great, great grandmother?
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 May '18 04:38
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    One of the differences, though, was that her great-grandparents were literally invited to settle the country, and immigration was legally limited for a very long time to free white persons. When it was even legally opened to allow Asians to become citizens, there simply was imposed a very strict set of quotas that was not overturned until the mid 1960s. ...[text shortened]... ver learned English? Are there really meticulous records of her great, great, great grandmother?
    The US Census asks questions such as "Which languages does your family speak at home?"
    If the answer was "only German", one can make a reasonable inference.

I knew an American whose grandparents lived in a mostly German-speaking
    community. During the First World War, many young men there went into
    hiding (with support from the local church) to avoid conscription into
    the US Army and being ordered to fight Germany or Austrua-Hungary.
  6. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    15 May '18 05:03
    That's interesting.

I would not be surprised to hear that such surveys were conducted.

However, I would be surprised that the results were meticulously recorded with the names, and they were just filed away somewhere waiting for someone to find out that Lahren's great, great, great (!!) grandmother ONLY spoke German after 41 years of living in the US.

I'd never be surprised to hear that she lived in a predominantly German speaking community as those even still exist (although are rare), and places like Minnesota & North Dakota still have German language public broadcasting (at least in the 1990s)... but that is some awfully specific information and unless she was some baroness or Governor's wife, why would anyone record something like that?
  7. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 May '18 13:431 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64

"Tomi Lahren Attacks U.S. Immigrants, Gets Burned by Eye-Opening Lesson on Her Own Family Tree"

“low skills, low education, not understan ...[text shortened]... ities ahead of ordinary white people
    But weren't Lahren's ancestors WHITE? That's what's most important, now and then

Would white American nativists welcome non-white people with advanced
    degrees from Anglophone universities ahead of ordinary white people

Once again Duchess reminds us that white people are the enemy and everyone else are innocent victims. 😴
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    15 May '18 13:50
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Once again Duchess reminds us that white people are the enemy ...
    That seems to be big D's purpose in life. What a miserable existence.
  9. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 May '18 18:25
    Originally posted by @whodey

That’s called colonization or invasion, darling.
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 May '18 19:014 edits
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    That's interesting.

I would not be surprised to hear that such surveys were conducted.

However, I would be surprised that the results were meticulously recorded with the names, and they were just filed away somewhere waiting for someone to find out that Lahren's great, great, great (!!) grandmother ONLY spoke German after 41 years of living in the ...[text shortened]... nd unless she was some baroness or Governor's wife, why would anyone record something like that?
    The US Census records are sealed for a long time, but then they may be made available
    (after the subjects have died--the dead have no privacy) to historical researchers.
    It's common for historical researchers to use US Census records to look up individual Americans.
    There's nothing unusual about genealogist Jennifer Mendelsohn's methods of research.
    For political reasons, however, Philokalia apparently wants to dispute her conclusions.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 May '18 19:021 edit
    Originally posted by @sleepyguy to Mchill
    Sleepyguy and Mchill enjoy being lying white American racist trolls in a place that's full of them.
  12. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    15 May '18 19:36
    Originally posted by @sleepyguy
    How BIG is she?

I wonder if she hates FAT white people too?
  13. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 May '18 19:49
    Sleepyguy and Mchill enjoy being lying white American racist trolls in a place that's full of them.
    You forgot stupid, sexist and lazy. You're slipping Duchess ! πŸ˜€
  14. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    15 May '18 20:18
    Originally posted by @whodey

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/14/lets-ask-american-indians-about-the-immigration-crisis/

https://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2010/06/14/indian-tribes-oppose-new-immigration-law/

https://www.workers.org/2006/us/native-immigration-1130/
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 May '18 21:201 edit

“low skills, low education, not understan ...[text shortened]... ities ahead of ordinary white people
    My heritage is 100% (almost) Irish and they were far from rich. In fact one Great Great Great was said to have come over with the law on his tailπŸ™‚

Our family however is multinational and multicultural, wife is 1/4 Potowatamie indian, my daughter married a man from india (Phd in physics and she has MA in music), they live in Brazil and teach at university there. Another son married a Mayan indian girl from Cancun Mexico while another son married a Swedish national (VERY intelligent, singer songwriter who speaks 6 languages) and we adopted twin boys half Columbian and half Puerto Rican. We have interesting family get togethers.... And I LOVE the diversity in our family.