Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 17:19
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/10/losing-the-democratic-habit/568336/

"Americans Aren’t Practicing Democracy Anymore
    As participation in civic life has dwindled, so has public faith in the country’s system of government."

"As the procedures that once conferred legitimacy on organizations have
    grown alien to many Americans, contempt for democratic institutions has risen.
    In 2016, a presidential candidate who scorned established norms rode
    that contempt to the Republican nomination, drawing his core support
    from Americans who seldom participate in the rituals of democracy."

"There is no easy fix for our current predicament; simply voting Trump out of office won’t suffice.
    To stop the rot afflicting American government, Americans are going to have
    to get back in the habit of democracy."

"Democratic governance is never the most efficient means of running an
    organization, as anyone who’s attended a local zoning hearing can attest.
    Its value lies instead in harmonizing discordant interests and empowering constituents.
    A nation of passive observers watching others make decisions is a nation
    that will succumb to anger and resentment—witness the United States."

Is the USA entering an age of post-democracy?
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 18:55
    "The American system of government functions properly only when embedded in a culture
    deeply committed to democracy; that culture sustains the Constitution, not the other way around."

That culture may be dying.
  3. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 19:26
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    "The American system of government functions properly only when embedded in a culture
    deeply committed to democracy; that culture sustains the Constitution, not the other way around."

Trump got elected by telling the world that democracy didn't work anymore.
    Rigged system if you recall.

Democracy needs an enema.
  4. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 21:08
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/10/losing-the-democratic-habit/568336/

As participation in civic life has dwindled, so has public faith in the country’s system of government."

grown alien to many Americans, cont ...[text shortened]... nger and resentment—witness the United States."

wrong! liberal democrats aren't practicing democracy.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 00:59

It is obvious the US is in decline. So you can start dancing in the street any time now.
    Just beware of what replaces us. Maybe another country that likes to kill it's own citizens by the hundred million in order to ensure its coming world power. Maybe this time it will require slaughtering a BILLION.

If it happens you can be assured I won't be anywhere close to the US, living out what little time I have left on an island a thousand miles from anyone, ESPECIALLY you.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 01:51
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    It is obvious the US is in decline. So you can start dancing in the street any time now.
    Just beware of what replaces us. Maybe another country that likes to kill it's own citizens by the hundred million in order to ensure its coming world power. Maybe this time it will require slaughtering a BILLION.

If it happens you can be assured I won't be anywhe ...[text shortened]... ving out what little time I have left on an island a thousand miles from anyone, ESPECIALLY you.
    You are just seeing it? Wow
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 03:53
    Originally posted by @eladar
    You are just seeing it? Wow
    "It'' being the decline of the US? I saw that years ago. Republicans are supposed to be the party of rule of law and a check on POTUS like it was back when Clinton was impeached. Of course, now there is a republican POTUS and the republicans, being the hypocrites they are, now are actively supporting anything Trump does, he can do no wrong, so Trump has succeeded in taking over the senate and house and now with Kavanaugh, will complete the takeover of SCOTUS.
    Republicans are despicable, they can't see past the next election, ONLY what keeps them in power but they seem to be forgetting they actually work for the average Joe and Jill American and come November, there will be a sea change. It will be too late to keep that assswipe Kavanaugh out of SCOTUS though. That means Trump gets a get out of jail card, and of course the end of women's reproductive rights, K is a lying son of a bitch and doesn't deserve to be county dog catcher much less a sitting judge on ANY court.

Yessir, a GREAT set of assswipes we have in our government right now. Republican=HYPOCRITE.

They can't see Trump is unhinged just like the book title says or the new Woodward book Fear or the anonymous bit in the times about just how crazy Trump really is.
    Trump has no agenda except that which keeps Trump in power, he is a caricature of a real president. He is just presenting a persona to his base, he cares nothing of them, just pandering to what he thinks they want to hear. He is a TV entertainer gone viral and the world is in tatters because of it. I just hope he doesn't get unhinged enough to start a war with Iran just as another distraction from the coming proof he actually DID conspire with Russians and actually DID obstruct justice and his kids are just as much criminal as Trump himself. It was Russian money, LITERALLY hundreds of millions pumped into Trumps businesses for the abject reason to be able to launder many more millions through real estate deals in Trump tower.
    I think it hilarious now that Manafort has flipped AND forfeited ALL his property INCLUDING his Trump Tower apartment and now the FED's move in right where Trump hates having them the most, in his own secret lair.

His days are numbered. And I just hope against hope they vote against Kavanaugh, a world class bastard.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 14:42
    “Suppose you were a congressman. Suppose you were an idiot. But I repeat myself. “ Mark Twain

Disdain for the American brand of democracy is nothing new.
  9. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 15:28

grown alien to many Americans, cont ...[text shortened]... nger and resentment—witness the United States."

Why don't you "practice" finding an occasional solution, instead of finding fault, and accusing people of racism. 😵
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 18:28
    Originally posted by @sonhouse

If it happens you can be assured I won't be anywhe ...[text shortened]... ving out what little time I have left on an island a thousand miles from anyone, ESPECIALLY you.
    Sonhouse apparently clings to the fantasy (cherished by
    the US propaganda that he laps up) that the rest of the
    world should be eternally grateful for US imperialism.
    How many Iranians want the USA to bring back a Shah?
    How many Chileans want the USA to bring back a Pinochet?

Taming US power (military or economic aggression) need not
    involve destroying the people in the USA today.
    If the USA were replaced by several independent states
    (each about the size and strength of the UK), US imperialism
    would become much less dangerous.

Sonhouse's last remark reveals the mentality of a stalker.
    Long ago, I told Sonhouse emphatically that I have no
    interest in any personal relationship or contact with him.
    Sonhouse cannot, however, take rejection well.
    So Sonhouse has long persisted in harassing me with
    his unwelcome offers of 'friendship' in the apparent
    hope that he could wear me down. Now Sonhouse
    may be expected to lie about it in attenpting to save face.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 18:33
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    “Suppose you were a congressman. Suppose you were an idiot. But I repeat myself. “ Mark Twain

Disdain for the American brand of democracy is nothing new.
    "How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of Negroes?"
    - -Samuel Johnson

He criticized the hypocrisy of American Founding Fathers on slavery.
  12. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 18:37
    "How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of Negroes?"
    - -Samuel Johnson

He criticized the hypocrisy of American Founding Fathers on slavery.
    slavery was a great big mistake for the white man, treating islam as a religion is another.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 18:393 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill

Why don't you "practice" finding an occasional solution, instead of finding fault, and accusing people of racism. 😵
    The troll Mchill objects to my citing an article on the state
    of democracy in the USA by an American from an American magazine.
    (Note to the troll Divegeester, it's not the Guardian.)

Of course, the troll Mchill could not care less about my 'solution '.
    Would Mchill vote for me, if eligible, for US President?
    Tom Wolsey has written that he would prefer to vote for Hitler over me.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 19:031 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    slavery was a great big mistake for the white man, treating islam as a religion is another.
    Does Mott-the-Hoopie believe that the US Constitution should NOT protect Muslims' rights of religious freedom?
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 19:10
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    Islam 'is' a religion sir. Deal with it.