1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Oct '15 11:23
    http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/texas-good-guy-with-a-gun-shoots-carjacking-victim-in-head-then-runs-away/

Forgetting for a moment that shooting someone just for stealing a car is insane, here is a prime example of how much use is the "good guy with a gun"
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    07 Oct '15 11:52
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/texas-good-guy-with-a-gun-shoots-carjacking-victim-in-head-then-runs-away/

Forgetting for a moment that shooting someone just for stealing a car is insane, here is a prime example of how much use is the "good guy with a gun"
    I thought you were going to show the clip of Trump acting like he was shooting from the waist...
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    07 Oct '15 15:59

Nothing in this story identifies the shooter as a "good guy". He was a vigilante, and since unidentified, may have been armed illegally, or engaged in criminal mischief. His gathering his casings, and running indicate a criminal background.

Shooting a car jacker isn't necessarily insane. Many car jackings end up escalating to homicides. A thief employing deadly force can legally be resisted with deadly force.
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Oct '15 16:19

I'm for gun control because often people who are doing nothing wrong get shot. But it's hard for me to feel that it's bad when a carjacker gets shot.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Oct '15 21:16
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Nothing in this story identifies the shooter as a "good guy". He was a vigilante, and since unidentified, may have been armed illegally, or engaged in criminal mischief. His gathering his casings, and running indicate a criminal background.

Shooting a car jacker isn't necessarily insane. Many car jackings end up escalating to homicides. A thief employing deadly force can legally be resisted with deadly force.
    oooh, so that's what you take away from the story. not that someone tried to stop a crime and ended up shooting the victim.

"Nothing in this story identifies the shooter as a "good guy". "
    obviously, he shot someone in the head. pay attention.

"He was a vigilante"
    so this guy was a vigilante. what would have made him the good guy with a gun? what had to have been different?
    he wasn't supposed to start firing?

"may have been"
    how about you keep your maybes to yourself. he may have been ghenghis khan risen from the dead.

"His gathering his casings, and running indicate a criminal background."
    or he realized he shot someone and there would be no excuse.

"Shooting a car jacker isn't necessarily insane. Many car jackings end up escalating to homicides. "
    so this guy stopped a potential homicide. by shooting the victim himself. so he WAS supposed to start firing?

can you make up your mind? this guy saw a crime. he stopped it with lethal force. through his actions(because those wacky bullets don't always reach the intended target), someone innocent got hurt (forgetting the fact that even the carjackers don't deserve death for their crime, and especially not from a civilian turned judge and executioner).
    do you want someone seeing you get mugged/carjacked/etc to do the same, even assuming he doesn't "have a criminal background". do you want someone you have no idea how well trained he is to start shooting in your general direction, with as much chance you will get shot as your attackers?
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Oct '15 21:22
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I'm for gun control because often people who are doing nothing wrong get shot. But it's hard for me to feel that it's bad when a carjacker gets shot.
    that's a discussion for another thread, i tried to not encourage it very much. just think that the carjacker would have gotten 5 years (or whatever is the punishment) prison time. from a qualified judge. after being given a fair trial where a trained prosecutor would have presented evidence and a however well trained defendant would have attempted to mount a defense. a jury of ones peers would have rendered him guilty or not.

is it that hard to feel bad that you bypassed that whole process and killed the man (assume you shoot to kill)? that a human life was snuffed, and for what? does a carjacker deserve to die?
  7. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    07 Oct '15 21:46
    Originally posted by normbenign

Norm you did notice the facts of the story that when the GGWAG saw the carjacking take place his intervention resulted in the victim of the carjacking being shot and not the carjacker, right?
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 00:13
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Norm you did notice the facts of the story that when the GGWAG saw the carjacking take place his intervention resulted in the victim of the carjacking being shot and not the carjacker, right?
    he is saying that because he shot the victim, he is not a good guy with a gun but a bad guy.

it's very nice, really. this way, he can say that good guys with guns stopped the bad guys 100% of the time simply by not counting the times where they didn't.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 00:52
    Examples of good guys with guns:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/the-armed-citizen
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 02:27
    Just a thought, but five of the top ten threads (at the time I looked at them) had "gun" or "guns" in the thread title. Time to lose an obsession?
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 07:39
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Just a thought, but five of the top ten threads (at the time I looked at them) had "gun" or "guns" in the thread title. Time to lose an obsession?
    yes, that's my point exactly
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 11:19

I take it you've never been carjacked.
    Talk to someone who has and get their view on what it's like.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 12:05
    Originally posted by kmax87
    The shooter was obviously not a "good guy". A real good guy, would not have risked hitting the innocent victim. I thought that would be obvious, to a casual reader. It is not the duty of a "good guy" citizen to intervene in every observed criminal act. That would be both excessively risky personally, and he's not trained to take that risk.

I have personally intervened in crimes, saving victims without firing a shot. Most cops who stop crimes don't randomly fire their weapons, and the few that do often end up in hot water.

Whatever the background of this shooter, he apparently knew he had screwed up, and showed it by gathering his casings and fleeing. After a shooting, my process would be, after assessing any possible threats, holster my weapon, call police, and preserve the scene as much as possible, including leaving all casings where they landed.

Calling this a GGWAG doesn't make him a good guy in any real sense of the word. He was a trigger happy vigilante. End of story, until they find him and prosecute him.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 12:07
    yes, that's my point exactly
    No, you obviously don't understand his point.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 12:20
    Originally posted by quackquack
    We have no idea of who the shooter was or why he opened fire so quickly and randomly. By his own actions he demonstrated he was no "good guy". A true "good guy", who made a mistake would have stayed to face the music. The act of gathering his casings and fleeing, at least indicates he was not a hero.

The truth is we don't know who or what he was, but we can speculate. How about a jealous competitor of the actual jackers, a rejected compatriot, a gang banger defending his turf. These speculations all are more likely than that this was a "good guy".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree