Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Oct '16 23:274 edits
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/10/nyregion/to-the-woman-who-told-my-family-to-back-to-china.html?_r=1

"An Open Letter to the Woman Who Told My Family to Go Back to China"
    --Michael Luo (9 October 2016, 'New York Times' )
    (Michael Luo was born and grew up in the United States.)

"The last couple years--even in this 'multi-cultural' NYC [New York City] I've felt less and less welcome.
    I was born in Korea, but I grew up in the US."
    --David Kim (9 October 2016)

This often happens, and too few Americans seem to regard it as racist.
    In Asian American studies (an academic field), the term 'perpetual foreigner'
    refers to the reality of US citizens of East Asian heritage *usually* being
    perceived and treated as foreigners in the USA even when they were
    born in the USA and can speak fluent American English.

The exceptions tend to be made for US propaganda purposes.
    The 1957 Nobel Prize for physics was awarded to Lee and Yang, who
    had been born and grown up in China and not applied for US citizenship.
    (Lee and Yang became US citizens several years later.) Until that time,
    they had been perceived and treated only as Chinese in the USA.
    After winning the Nobel Prize, the US media instantly wrote of them as
    *exclusively* American, denying that they could be Chinese at all.
    To this day, many American reference books list Lee and Yang's
    nationality at the time when they won the Nobel Prize as only 'American'.
    Many American writers also like to claim (at least until 2015) that no
    Chinese scientist has ever won a Nobel Prize.

Michelle Kwan (who was born in the USA) won nine gold medals and
    three silver medals in the US national ladies' figure skating championships.
    But MSNBC ran a headline 'American Beats Out Kwan', implying that
    Michelle Kwan's not a real American. MSNBC later apologized. Now, after
    marrying an influential white man, she may be more accepted as an American.

In 2001 David Wu (then a member of Congress from Oregon) was initially
    blocked from entering a US government building (where he had been
    invited to give a speech) on the grounds that he's not an American.
    Although David Wu showed his official identification as a member of Congress,
    the US Department of Energy security guards refused to accept it.
    (The excuse was made that it's easy to forge such official identification.)
    He was allowed to enter only after he was able to contact a supervisor
    (who already knew him) inside the building and have him intervene.
    There was no apology and no admission of error by the Department of Energy,
    which insisted that David Wu had been treated the same as everyone else.
    But when a white colleague in Congress decided to test that claim, he was
    immediately waved through (without being questioned) into the building.
    (David Wu later resigned after a scandal, but that's irrelevant to this incident.)

"I wonder if that feeling [of being treated as a foreigner in the USA] will ever go away."
    --Michael Luo

Probably not for a long time. An Asian-American woman can acquire 'honorary white' status
    to a considerable extent by marrying a white American man, particularly one of influence.
    But, given the realities of American racism (which is not necessarily gender-neutral),
    an Asian-American man can hardly do the same by marrying a white American woman.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 Oct '16 01:05
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/10/nyregion/to-the-woman-who-told-my-family-to-back-to-china.html?_r=1

"The last couple years--even in this 'multi-cultural' NYC [New York Cit ...[text shortened]... nder-neutral),
    an Asian-American man can hardly do the same by marrying a white American woman.
    Huh.
  3. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    21 Oct '16 01:35
    You actually read that liberal, lying rag of a paper?
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 Oct '16 19:36

"The last couple years--even in this 'multi-cultural' NYC [New York Cit ...[text shortened]... nder-neutral),
    I suspect there would be quite a different response here if an African American
    (who was born in the USA) had been told to take his family and 'go back to Africa'.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Oct '16 19:401 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Huh.
    More right wing lies.

That is more of a waaa......?
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    21 Oct '16 19:41
    (who was born in the USA) had been told to take his family and 'go back to Africa'.
    Your suspicions are not relevant.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 Oct '16 21:301 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Your suspicions are not relevant.
    Most Asian-Americans already know from experience that American racism against them
    tends to be ignored, excused, condoned, or even justified when such racism would not
    likely be so against a much more politically powerful minority such as African-Americans.

Racism often tends to be different against African-American and Asian-Americans.
    While Asian-Americans don't have to worry as much about police violence against them
    (though there's a stereotype of Asian-American young men being gang members),
    they encounter more racism than African-Americans in some other ways.
  8. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    21 Oct '16 21:581 edit
    Most Asian-Americans already know from experience that American racism against them
    tends to be ignored, excused, condoned, or even justified when such racism would not
    likely be so against a much more politically powerful minority such as African-Americans.

Racism often tends to be different against African-American and Asian-Americans.
    While Asian- ...[text shortened]... men being gang members),
    they encounter more racism than African-Americans in some other ways.
    Now that all this has become known, it's time to launch another assault on the evil white man. 🙁
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 Oct '16 23:404 edits
    Originally posted by mchill
    Now that all this has become known, it's time to launch another assault on the evil white man. 🙁
    I already have commented at some length in another thread about this racist murder.
    Not even one writer expressed any criticism of the murderers or sympathy for the victim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Vincent_Chin

In 1982 two white men, Ronald Ebens and Michael Nitz, armed with a baseball bat,
    pursued Vincent Chin (a US citizen of Chinese heritage) and brutally beat him to death.
    Reportedly, the killers shouted racist slurs at him. Later, the excuse that they had
    assumed that Vincent Chin was Japanese and therefore a deserving target for revenge
    seemed widely accepted by other white people around Detroit (which liked to blame
    the Japanese auto industry for all their economic problems). Some white people even
    acclaimed Ronald Ebens and MIchael Nitz as American 'folk heroes' for killing Vincent Chin.

Judge Charles Kaufman (a white man) praised the moral characters of the killers and
    sentenced them to no time in prison, three years' probation, and fines of 3000 USD
    (plus court costs), payable in easy installments. It was a sentence less than what
    would have been typically given for stealing a car. The judge's extremely lenient
    sentence provoked outrage among Asian-Americans (who had practically no power).
    But it seemed popular among whites and was met with common indifference by blacks.

As far as I know, Ronald Ebens and Michael Nitz never have expressed any remorse.
    Judge Charles Kaufman never expressed any regret for his lenient sentence of them.
    After the judge's death, his daughter said that she regarded his sentence as wrong,
    but she claimed that he was not racist in any way. She seemed to argue that he would
    have given the same sentence if Vincent Chin had been white and his killers Asian-Americans.
    No Asian-American believed her.

What would the sneering racist Mchill have said to Vincent Chin's mother before she died?
    Would Mchill have told her, "Now that proud white men have killed your only child and
    practically got away with it, it must be time for you to go back to China. USA 1, China 0!" ?
  10. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 15:441 edit
    Black Americans were brought here involuntarily. Not the same thing.

How about telling a Hebrew he needs to go back to Israel?
  11. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 19:24
    Originally posted by mchill
    " the evil white man " everyone fleeing poverty and danger heads to evil white mans country .
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 22:391 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Black Americans were brought here involuntarily. Not the same thing.

How about telling a Hebrew he needs to go back to Israel?
    "Black Americans were brought here involuntarily."
    --AThousandYoung

No black American today was 'brought involuntarily' to the USA (apart from a few human trafficking cases).
    The *ancestors* of most black Americans today may have been brought as slaves to the USA.
    But many black Americans today arrived as immigrants or are descended from free immigrants.

The anti-Asian racist AThousandYoung has attempted to explain (sarcasm intended)
    why Asian Americans perform significantly better than whites on average in American
    schools by claiming that it's chiefly because Asian Americans like to cheat more.

I doubt that many, if any, Americans here sincerely object to anti-Asian racism in the USA.