Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 10:53
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/21/africa/sudan-child-marriage-asequals-intl/index.html
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 12:06
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/21/africa/sudan-child-marriage-asequals-intl/index.html
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/200000-children-married-us-15-years-child-marriage-child-brides-new-jersey-chris-christie-a7830266.html

Those in glass houses.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 14:432 edits
    Originally posted by @stellspalfie
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/200000-children-married-us-15-years-child-marriage-child-brides-new-jersey-chris-christie-a7830266.html

Those in glass houses.
    heh you beat me to it.

YouTube
    Samantha Bee on who else marries children at what age
    spoilers: "americans" and "young"
  4. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 15:09
    Muhammad set the standard. He married a 6 year old. But at least he waited until she was 9 before he consummated the marriage. I wonder if he had her genitals mutilated first to increase his sexual stimulation?
  5. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 15:27
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Muhammad set the standard. He married a 6 year old. But at least he waited until she was 9 before he consummated the marriage. I wonder if he had her genitals mutilated first to increase his sexual stimulation?
    So give us your opinion on US child brides.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 15:30
    In one corner: followers of an ancient Middle Eastern religion invented by barbaric goat herders.

In the other corner: followers of an ancient Middle Eastern religion invented by barbaric goat herders.

In the audience, rolling their eyes: atheists.
  7. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 15:30
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Backward. Disgusting. But 15 looks like the minimum age and anything below 18 requires parental consent.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 16:00
    as a preemptive argument to an accusation of whataboutism here is an explanation.

whenever someone mentions Trump doing some fuked up crap and you mention that Obama did it too, that is whataboutism. Trump is in power, trump is doing something at the present that needs fixing, which would not happen just by mentioning that someone did it too.

you mention child brides and you frame the subject as an excuse to forbid muslims from entering, all muslims, even those that do not engage in this practice. Us mentioning that american white christians do the same (some not all) is not whataboutism because it ties directly into your argument: invoking an action as a reason to act on an entire group of people.

You didn't say "X happens and is horrible, let's stop X". You said "X happens because of some Y, blame Y". Well, "X happens because of Z too". Should we apply the same reasoning and actions towards the entirety of Z too?
  9. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 16:24
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    whenever someone mentions Trump doing some fuked up crap and you mention that Obama did it too, that is whataboutism.
    No. It's called "what's good for the goose is good for the gander." Or, "tit for tat."

For nearly the entire 8 years of the Obama regime, anything negative was attributed to Bush. As per usual with liberals, they "want their cake and eat it too."
  10. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 16:49
    Backward. Disgusting. But 15 looks like the minimum age and anything below 18 requires parental consent.
    Well, firstly, parental consent is needed in many Moslim countries as well.
    I’m not exactly sure how parental consent makes it any less if a rape, but that’s probably just me.

As for the US: in many States there’s no minimum age for getting married, so long as there’s parental consent.
    There are many reported cases of 12 year old girls being wed.

This links to a Washington post article on the subject (I hope):
    https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/posteverything/wp/2017/02/10/why-does-the-united-states-still-let-12-year-old-girls-get-married/
  11. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 16:51
    From wikipedia:

Unlike most Western countries, 20 of the U.S. states do not have a legal minimum age of marriage. Individuals aged 18 have the ability to marry in U.S. states except Nebraska (19) and Mississippi (21). In addition, all states, except Delaware, allow minors to marry in certain circumstances, such as parental consent, judicial consent, pregnancy, or a combination of these situations. Most states allow parties aged 16 and 17 to marry with parental consent alone. In most states, children under 16 can be married too. In the 30 states [1] which have an absolute minimum age set by statute, this age varies between 13 and 18, while in 20 states there is no statutory minimum age if other legal conditions are met. Although in such states there is no set minimum age by statute, the traditional common law minimum age is 14 for boys and 12 for girls - ages which have been confirmed by case law in some states.[2] Over the past 15 years, more than 200,000 minors married in US, and in Tennessee girls as young as 10 were married in 2001,[3] before the state finally set a minimum age of 17 in 2018.[4]
  12. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 16:59
    Well, firstly, parental consent is needed in many Moslim countries as well.
    I’m not exactly sure how parental consent makes it any less if a rape, but that’s probably just me.

As for the US: in many States there’s no minimum age for getting married, so long as there’s parental consent.
    There are many reported cases of 12 year old girls being wed.

...[text shortened]... posteverything/wp/2017/02/10/why-does-the-united-states-still-let-12-year-old-girls-get-married/
    As for your muddying the waters and dropping US policy in the same bucket as Islam. Again, the prophet Muhammad set the precedent for Muslims. The US is not a theocracy and doesn't have any obligation to follow any religious standard. Again, I say marriage of children in their teens is, in my opinion, backward and disgusting.
  13. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 19:19
    give us an example of a 6 yr old being wed in the US.
  14. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 19:22
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    as a preemptive argument to an accusation of whataboutism here is an explanation.

whenever someone mentions Trump doing some fuked up crap and you mention that Obama did it too, that is whataboutism. Trump is in power, trump is doing something at the present that needs fixing, which would not happen just by mentioning that someone did it too.

you me ...[text shortened]... because of Z too". Should we apply the same reasoning and actions towards the entirety of Z too?
    Trump owns you boy!...this thread is about muslim child rape.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 19:263 edits
    Muhammad set the standard. He married a 6 year old. But at least he waited until she was 9 before he consummated the marriage.
    I wonder if he had her genitals mutilated first to increase his sexual stimulation?
    The Islamophobic troll Tom Wolsey strikes again.

As I already have pointed out, for many centuries after the Prophet Muhammad's death,
    Christian Europe had some child brides, including among the aristocracy.

The diverse predominantly Muslim world has greatly changed in general since the 7th century.
    Should modern Muslims condemn modern Americans for the Salem witch trials?