Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    24 Jun '17 19:52
    http://twentytwowords.com/these-tweets-nail-the-racial-profiling-faced-when-flying-while-brown-by-plane/

"These Tweets Nail the Racial Profiling Faced When ‘Flying While Brown’ By Plane"
    --Abby Heugel

"But I'm also a middle-class white woman, so any complaints I might have
    pale in comparison to those who — in their words — are "flying while brown."

American Muslims have long encountered difficulties at airports, where
    security officials have been accused of unfairly profiling, questioning,
    and detaining passengers simply for “looking” Muslim — including people
    who are not devotees of Islam, such as Sikhs and Arab Christians.
    But it's not just security officials who are doing the profiling — it's other passengers, too."

Simran Jeet Singh, a professor at Trinity University, has drawn attention to
    a white American passenger wrongly presuming that he's a Muslim terrorist.
    In fact, Singh is (obviously, except to an ignorant American) a Sikh.

"I don’t say any of this to seek pity or apologies. I want people to hear what kinds of things minority communities endure.”
    --Simran Jeet Singh
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '17 21:30
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    http://twentytwowords.com/these-tweets-nail-the-racial-profiling-faced-when-flying-while-brown-by-plane/

"These Tweets Nail the Racial Profiling Faced When ‘Flying While Brown’ By Plane"
    --Abby Heugel

pale in comparison to those who — in their words — are "flying while brown ...[text shortened]... . I want people to hear what kinds of things minority communities endure.”
    --Simran Jeet Singh
    Bigotry against marginalized races, cultures, gender, sexual orientations and religions is the foundation for "mak[ing] America great again". Did I miss any?
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 13:39
    People (mostly white people) like to say that this wasn't a problem during the last eight years under a black president.

But oh, it was still a problem then. "Polite people", again, a euphemism for "white people", just didn't talk about it. But now, white America has gotten a big green light from Steve Bannon, Jeff Sessions and Donald Trump to openly discriminate against all races who do not appear "white" enough.

Here in Arizona, the people elected Sheriff Joe Arpaio to 6 consecutive terms, probably due to his outrageous racial profiling. Racial profiling so pervasive that the U.S. Department of Justice is still investigating Arpaio for what they called "the worst pattern of racial profiling in U.S. history". Many people who were aware of it called the fear of being pulled over "driving while brown". Many U.S. citizens of Mexican descent were held for long periods while their "papers" were being verified.
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 20:33

--Abby Heugel

pale in comparison to those who — in their words — are "flying while brown ...[text shortened]... . I want people to hear what kinds of things minority communities endure.”
    --Simran Jeet Singh
    Another Day in Duchess's Racial Profiling, as she accuses millions of white males of bigotry, though many of them don't think about race at all.

Duchess = Racist, Sexist, and Hateful
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 20:481 edit
    Originally posted by mchill
    Another Day in Duchess's Racial Profiling, as she accuses millions of white males of bigotry, though many of them don't think about race at all.

Mchill, who has claimed that white men are the most oppressed group in the USA,
    keeps showing that he's a lying racist troll obsessed with hatred.

Given his self-pity, can Mchill describe the last time that he, a white man, would claim
    to have been afflicted by 'racial profiling' aboard an airliner in the USA?
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 20:571 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    People (mostly white people) like to say that this wasn't a problem during the last eight years under a black president.

But oh, it was still a problem then. "Polite people", again, a euphemism for "white people", just didn't talk about it. But now, white America has gotten a big green light from Steve Bannon, Jeff Sessions and Donald Trump to openly d ...[text shortened]... citizens of Mexican descent were held for long periods while their "papers" were being verified.
    Racist stereotyping has afflicted my non-white relatives in the USA for as long as they have lived there.
    It happens about every day that they come into contact with white Americans in general.
    They tend to be perceived and treated as racial stereotypes, not as individual human beings.
    American racism is bad enough to make some of my relatives who were born in the USA
    seriously consider emigrating (making a financial sacrifice) to less racist societies.

Will US history books ever pay nearly as much attention to the experiences of Asian
    immigrants at Angel Island as to those of European immigrants at Ellis Island?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Island_Immigration_Station

"Since the goal of Angel Island was to deport as many Chinese immigrants as possible, the whole
    process was much more intrusive and demanding for the Chinese compared to other applicants."
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jun '17 11:34

When you call Duchess "racist, sexist and hateful", this is just more of your typical "blaming the victim".
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jun '17 11:39
    Racist stereotyping has afflicted my non-white relatives in the USA for as long as they have lived there.
    It happens about every day that they come into contact with white Americans in general.
    They tend to be perceived and treated as racial stereotypes, not as individual human beings.
    American racism is bad enough to make some of my relatives who were ...[text shortened]... e
    process was much more intrusive and demanding for the Chinese compared to other applicants."
    One cannot help but wonder if this is what Trump (but more likely the old men he's gathered around himself) has in mind when he says he wants to "make America great again", a return to the "golden age" when racism was much more overt.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jun '17 11:43
    No kidding white males don't think about race, just like they don't have to think about gender inequality. This is what allows them to be racist and sexist. They are insensitive to how the world treats people not like them.
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    29 Jun '17 18:405 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne to Mchill
    No kidding white males don't think about race, just like they don't have to think about gender inequality.
    This is what allows them to be racist and sexist. They are insensitive to how the world treats people not like them.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jeff-sessions-asian-granddaughter_us_5876a1cee4b092a6cae514d5

"Jeff Sessions, Who Has An Asian Granddaughter, Praised Era When Asians Were Banned From U.S.
    “Sessions has been the standard bearer for a nativist vision of America,” advocates said."

During his Senate confirmation hearing for attorney general, Jeff Sessions brought his
    half-Asian granddaughter to sit on his lap as a prop to counter charges of racism against him.

"The senator had once favorably cited a 1924 law that barred Asian immigration entirely. ...
    Sessions was referencing the Immigration Act of 1924, also known as the Johnson-Reed Act,
    which doled out visas on a strict quota system. The act completely barred immigrants
    from Asia from entering the United States.

The act was a follow-up to a 1917 law that excluded immigrants from a geographically defined
    “Asiatic Barred Zone,” which included all Asians except for Japanese and Filipinos.
    Japan had a voluntary pre-established limit on immigration, and the Philippines was a U.S. colony.
    Chinese people were already banned from the U.S. under the 1882 Chinese Exclusion Act.

Once the 1924 law was enacted, Japanese people were prevented from immigrating as well.
    White immigrants from Northern and Western Europe received preference, while Jews
    from Southern and Eastern Europe, along with immigrants of African descent, were restricted.
    Asians and Arabs were completely banned.

“I don’t know any historian who would tell you the 1920s law wasn’t a racist law,” David Reimes,
    a professor of history at New York University, told The Atlantic. “That was what it was all about.
    They didn’t try to hide that.”"

P.S. There's already a quick ''thumbs down' from an apparent admirer of Jeff Sessions
    or a racist who wants to exclude Asians from immigrating to or living in the USA.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    29 Jun '17 19:19
    No kidding white males don't think about race, just like they don't have to think about gender inequality. This is what allows them to be racist and sexist. They are insensitive to how the world treats people not like them.
    Many white men complain loudly when they claim to be discriminated against on account of race or gender.
    There are many websites or blogs where white men subscribe to the self-pitying narratives
    that they must be the most oppressed people in their Western societies, particularly the USA.

Suzianne, given that you have studied psychology, you may know of the concept of 'microaggression'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microaggression

"A microaggression is a theory attributing incremental marginalization of certain cohorts,
    to basic, rude, mythic or stereotypical casual generalizations."

"Psychologist Derald Wing Sue defines microaggressions as "brief, everyday exchanges
    that send denigrating messages to certain individuals because of their group membership".[6]
    He describes microaggressions as generally happening below the level of awareness of
    well-intentioned members of the dominant culture. According to Sue, microaggressions
    are different from overt, deliberate acts of bigotry, such as the use of racist epithets,
    because the people perpetrating microaggressions often intend no offense and are unaware
    they are causing harm.[10] Microaggressions are known to be subtle insults that direct
    towards the person or a group of people as a way to "put down".[11] He describes microaggressions
    as including statements that repeat or affirm stereotypes about the minority group or subtly
    demean them. They also position the dominant culture as normal and the minority one
    as aberrant or pathological, that express disapproval of or discomfort with the minority group,
    that assume all minority group members are the same, that minimize the existence of
    discrimination against the minority group, seek to deny the perpetrator's own bias, or
    minimize real conflict between the minority group and the dominant culture."

Many non-white people feel worn down by ceaseless microaggressions from 'nice' white people.
    I have heard non-white people say that they can feel relieved, when they go on vacation,
    to get away from white people and having to deal with their racist stereotyping and microaggressions.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    30 Jun '17 19:26
    Can an American 'progressive feminist pioneer' be extremely racist?

Rebecca Latimer Felton, an advocate of women's suffrage, was the first woman to serve
    in the US Senate (albeit for only one day). She's still the only woman Senator ever from Georgia.
    She embraced progressive views about women's rights. She (a former slave owner)
    also was a white racial supremacist who advocated the lynching of non-white people.
    She supported voting rights for women while opposing voting rights for black people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Latimer_Felton

"She was a prominent society woman; an advocate of prison reform, women's suffrage
    and educational modernization; a white supremacist and slave owner; and one of the few
    prominent women who spoke in favor of lynching. Bartley reports that by 1915 she "was
    championing a lengthy feminist program that ranged from prohibition to equal pay for equal work."

"Felton criticized what she saw as the hypocrisy of Southern men who boasted of superior
    Southern "chivalry" but opposed women's rights, and she expressed her dislike of the fact
    that Southern states resisted women's suffrage longer than other regions of the US."

"Felton was a white supremacist. She claimed, for instance, that the more money that
    Georgia spent on black education, the more crimes blacks committed. ...
    Felton considered "young blacks" who sought equal treatment "half-civilized gorillas," and
    ascribed to them a "brutal lust" for white women.[10] While seeking suffrage for women,
    she decried voting rights for blacks, arguing that it led directly to the rape of white women. ...
    Felton also advocated more lynchings of black men, saying that such was "elysian"
    compared to the rape of white women.[13] On at least one occasion, she stated that
    white Southerners should "lynch a thousand [black men] a week if it becomes necessary"
    to "protect woman's dearest possession."[14]"

Rebecca Latimer Felton was about at least as racist as any of the reactionary white male
    politicians who opposed her on issues of women's rights.

My point to Suzianne (a White Feminist) is that someone can be both very progressive
    about women's rights and extremely racist. 'White Feminism' has some women like that.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    30 Jun '17 19:37
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Did you mean to say 'some' white males, or are you content for your remarks to apply to all white men? (And as a consequence be highly offensive).

I ask this fully aware of your disliking of such generalised remarks about Christians.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    30 Jun '17 21:381 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke to Suzianne
    Did you mean to say 'some' white males, or are you content for your remarks to apply to all white men? (And as a consequence be highly offensive).

I ask this fully aware of your disliking of such generalised remarks about Christians.
    I don't represent Suzianne, who's quite capable of writing for herself.

I have noticed some white male writers here (though some of them may like to pretend that they
    are not necessarily white men, particularly when they make overt racist or sexist comments)
    *refer stereotypically without qualifying adjectives* to people of many other groups.
    For instance, they write of 'blacks' rather than 'some blacks' or of 'Muslims' rather than 'some Muslims'.

I never have noticed Ghost of a Duke express any concern or objection in these cases.
    For some unknown (sarcasm intended) reason, Ghost of a Duke gets his dander up
    *only* in a case of someone allegedly being 'highly offensive' toward white men.
    Why does Ghost of a Duke seem much more concerned about white men?

"No kidding white males *don't think* about race, just like they *don't have to think* about gender inequality."
    --Suzianne

It seems to me that, while her words could be clearer, Suzianne meant to say that
    "white males don't [have] to think about race *just like* they don't have to think about gender inequality."
    Note the presumably intended parallel structure.

Assuming that's what she meant, is Suzianne's comment that 'white males don't *have* to think about race' plausible?
    First of all, I note that her comment apparently takes place in the context of white males
    in Western societies with ruling white majorities rather than, say, in Zimbabwe.
    Suzianne's position seems to be that white males don't *have* to think about race
    because they typically are not directly personally harmed by racism in Western societies.
    I would add the qualification, however, that some white men have non-white wives or children
    who may be harmed by racism, which gives these white men a reason to think about it.

For the record, I already know that some white men here 'think' (or claim to) about race.
    Some white men here like to claim that white men are the most oppressed group in their societies.
    I don't think, however, that such an absurd ideological claim requires any 'thinking' worth the name.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    01 Jul '17 07:14
    I don't represent Suzianne, who's quite capable of writing for herself.

I have noticed some white male writers here (though some of them may like to pretend that they
    are not necessarily white men, particularly when they make overt racist or sexist comments)
    *refer stereotypically without qualifying adjectives* to people of many other groups.
    For ins ...[text shortened]... 't think, however, that such an absurd ideological claim requires any 'thinking' worth the name.
    I imagine Suzianne is mighty glad you don't represent her.

I appreciate that it irks you to the very core of your soul that you don't know the colour of my skin. Why do you suppose I would provide you with such information when others who have done so are gleefully described by you as white racist trolls? Why would I give you such ammunition? (And where have I ever made racist or sexist comments? )

Quid pro quo. My ethnicity and skin colour for your gender and country of origin. Interested? (Or is it just me that needs to provide personal information? )