Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 06 Apr '15 13:07
    http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/09/the-gender-politics-of-pockets/380935/

some people choose to ignore sexism or flat out refuse to agree it even exists (and many other isms, but that's another story)

Sexism is a real thing and we can often find the most mundane instances where it reveals itself.

Someone (male) decided at one point that women do not need pockets. That women clothing should skip that very useful addition in order to look more appealing. Why should it be easy for a woman to get to a meeting? She must first and foremost be decorative.

Of course, a woman can carry a purse. So she should stop complaining.
  2. 06 Apr '15 13:35
    You're being ridiculous, the fashion industry is driven by what women buy. Clothing for women is less functional because that's what women want.
  3. Standard member vivify
    rain
    06 Apr '15 13:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/09/the-gender-politics-of-pockets/380935/

some people choose to ignore sexism or flat out refuse to agree it even exists (and many other isms, but that's another story)

Sexism is a real thing and we can often find the most mundane instances where it reveals itself.

Someone (male) decided at one ...[text shortened]... oremost be decorative.

Without looking at the link, I can tell you that women often where their jeans tight. Me wife, fire example. Her jeans have pockets, but she can't really put anything in them because they're form-fitting jeans. I'm sure that some type of pocket could be made that hang loosely from the jeans, but that could possibly make them look unappealing to female consumers.

Adding to this, is the fact that tights and yoga pants (which don't feature pockets) have become very popular with women. And, women very often carry purses most places they go anyway. So I don't see the removal of pockets as deliberate sexism, but as a cost-effective way to make women's fashion. That said, my wife had expressed frustration at having jeans with no pockets.
  4. Standard member vivify
    rain
    06 Apr '15 13:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You're being ridiculous, the fashion industry is driven by what women buy. Clothing for women is less functional because that's what women want.
    Agreed. It would be like saying high heals are hard to walk in because men don't think women should be moving around.
  5. 06 Apr '15 14:28
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    incorrect

the fashion industry is driven by men who dictate how women should look like in fashion shows and by clothing labels who copy those designs.
  6. 06 Apr '15 14:30
    Originally posted by vivify
    Without looking at the link, I can tell you that women often where their jeans tight. Me wife, fire example. Her jeans have pockets, but she can't really put anything in them because they're form-fitting jeans. I'm sure that some type of pocket could be made that hang loosely from the jeans, but that could possibly make them look unappealing to female con ...[text shortened]... women's fashion. That said, my wife had expressed frustration at having jeans with no pockets.
    "Without looking at the link"
    yes, perhaps you should stop doing that and look at the link before debating something. (kind of like you did in my thread about us republicans on climate change)
  7. Standard member vivify
    rain
    06 Apr '15 14:41
    "Without looking at the link"
    yes, perhaps you should stop doing that and look at the link before debating something. (kind of like you did in my thread about us republicans on climate change)
    I didn't debate anything in your climate change thread. I merely posted a link of a related topic.

I'll look at your link, but it won't make anything I said less true.
  8. 06 Apr '15 15:03
    Without looking at the link, I can tell you that women often where their jeans tight. Me wife, fire example. Her jeans have pockets, but she can't really put anything in them because they're form-fitting jeans. I'm sure that some type of pocket could be made that hang loosely from the jeans, but that could possibly make them look unappealing to female con ...[text shortened]... women's fashion. That said, my wife had expressed frustration at having jeans with no pockets.
    "Adding to this, is the fact that tights and yoga pants (which don't feature pockets) have become very popular with women."
    one doesn't wear yoga pants to work.

"And, women very often carry purses most places they go anyway"
    because they have to. because there aren't any pockets on women pants, dresses suits

" So I don't see the removal of pockets as deliberate sexism"
    they weren't removed, they weren't there in the first place

"but as a cost-effective way to make women's fashion"
    that is an argument that can be applied to men's fashion. we however have pockets. even on jeans that are pretty tight

"That said, my wife had expressed frustration at having jeans with no pockets."
    that should give you a clue. (more clues of this sort are present in that link you didn't read. Also here is another link to ignore, though pockets is just one of the 7: http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-most-baffling-things-about-womens-clothes/ It sounds like i am being sarcastic and i am but i really don't want to). If a woman's opinion (shared by many) is that she would like some pockets and the fashion industry fails to provide, maybe it is a matter of sexism after all, don't you think?
  9. 06 Apr '15 15:28

Someone (male) decided at one ...[text shortened]... oremost be decorative.

No one decides what clothing another person should wear. If pockets are important to you, then purchase clothes which contain pockets (women are legally allowed to purchase and wear 'men's' clothing. It seems to me however, that you are not actually looking for solution. Perhaps your next thread will be about how society can compensate women for their years of clothing persecution.
  10. 06 Apr '15 15:32
    incorrect

the fashion industry is driven by men who dictate how women should look like in fashion shows and by clothing labels who copy those designs.
    If you want to argue that people generally have trouble questioning things they are spoon-fed, then sure, I'm with you. Religion wouldn't exist otherwise.

That's not sexism, though. If women wanted pants with pockets, someone would sell 'em. Actually, I'm sure they exist but just aren't that popular.
  11. 06 Apr '15 15:40
    Is this a belated April Fools thread?
  12. Standard member vivify
    rain
    06 Apr '15 15:47
    "Adding to this, is the fact that tights and yoga pants (which don't feature pockets) have become very popular with women."
    one doesn't wear yoga pants to work.

"And, women very often carry purses most places they go anyway"
    because they have to. because there aren't any pockets on women pants, dresses suits

" So I don't see the removal of poc ...[text shortened]... he fashion industry fails to provide, maybe it is a matter of sexism after all, don't you think?
    Women would carry purses whether their pants have pockets or not. It's just a normal thing for them to do so.

Men's fashion doesn't usually include pants that are as tight as women's. The closest would be skinny jeans, and those have quite a backlash from the public.

Lastly, designers don't decide what people wear. Consumers determine what designers make via their purchases.
  13. 06 Apr '15 16:27
    Someone (male) decided at one point that women do not need pockets.
    That is blatantly untrue. Do you honestly think one person made a decision on behalf of half the human race and got away with it? Or were you exaggerating?
    The article is actually somewhat self contradictory. First it says that the fashion industry is driven by male individuals that totally ignore women's needs, and then it claims that the pocket will come into fashion precisely because women will need somewhere to put their iPhone 6.
    Although I do not believe that the fashion industry is entirely driven by what women want or what women need, it is a lot more complex than you are suggesting, and evidence of sexism has not been proven - or even presented. The article just makes the claim and then fails to support it.
    In my own experience women have a lot more choice when it comes to clothing options including how many pockets they have. If they choose looks over functionality, then so be it.
  14. 06 Apr '15 16:28
    Me wife, fire example.
    Freudian slip?
  15. 06 Apr '15 16:30 / 1 edit
    Consumers determine what designers make via their purchases.
    It is more complex than that. Many of us choose from a very limited range. So although we have some choice, it is not entirely up to us. Also, for those who work in an office, there are even more limitations.

I don't think I have ever been offered jeans with anything other than a standard set of pockets. I have occasionally had some trousers with extra pockets lower down the legs, but I never really used them.
    Shirts normally have zero one or two chest pockets, but I rarely buy based on how many they have.