Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 19 Mar '17 01:18
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4326276/Paris-Orly-airport-evacuated-shooting.html
  2. Standard member vivify
    rain
    19 Mar '17 02:59
    This is why religion is not only a joke, it's a horrible influence on humanity. The sooner the world is rid of religion, the better off everyone will be.
  3. 19 Mar '17 04:26
    Originally posted by vivify
    This is why religion is not only a joke, it's a horrible influence on humanity. The sooner the world is rid of religion, the better off everyone will be.
    Which is why liberals love Muslims.
  4. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    19 Mar '17 05:16
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Which is why liberals love Muslims.
    I didn't follow that. Can you explain what you mean by that statement?
  5. 19 Mar '17 10:13 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    This is why religion is not only a joke, it's a horrible influence on humanity. The sooner the world is rid of religion, the better off everyone will be.
    I see, were the abolitionists a horrible influence on society? Its certainly evident that they were directly influenced by the religious conviction that 'all were brothers' and used it rather effectively in seeking the abolition of slavery.
  6. 19 Mar '17 12:19 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    This is why religion is not only a joke, it's a horrible influence on humanity. The sooner the world is rid of religion, the better off everyone will be.
    Those of faith and who are serious about their faith give far more of the money and time to helping the poor as where atheists like yourself sit around on your arse voting for people who promise to force you to give more of your tax dollars to government with the premise of helping the poor. Unfortunately, only about 9 cents on the dollar ever reaches the poor.

    Get bent.

    Granted, Mo's war god has no real interest in helping the poor, I'll grant you that.
  7. Standard member vivify
    rain
    19 Mar '17 12:26 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I see, were the abolitionists a horrible influence on society? Its certainly evident that they were directly influenced by the religious conviction that 'all were brothers' and used it rather effectively in seeking the abolition of slavery.
    White Christians brought slaves to the U.S., and white Christians kept slavery going for two hundred years. You now want to credit Christians for ending slavery?

    Hey, let's also thank Christians for ending the burning alive of "witches".
  8. 19 Mar '17 12:42 / 1 edit
    I really wonder how deeply we have thought about acts of terror and extremism.

    Its easy to demonize these individuals who carry out such acts of atrocity. Its also easy to demonize an entire religion because of these acts. Its much more difficult to understand why they are carried out. The danger in seeing it as a purely moral issue so beloved by our American puritan friends is that we may inadvertently lose sight of the fact that most extremism is borne in suffering, This is not a veiled attempt to mitigate the hurt that acts of extreme violence cause and their impact on innocent lives but simply an attempt to understand why? Why Waco? Why Timothy MacVeigh? Why September the 11th? Why Enniskillen? If we can answer why then perhaps we may begin to see the constituent parts so as to form a whole rather than simply taking the easy way out and demonizing those who perpetrate acts of extreme violence and atrocity.
  9. 19 Mar '17 12:48
    Originally posted by vivify
    White Christians brought slaves to the U.S., and white Christians kept slavery going for two hundred years. You now want to credit Christians for ending slavery?

    Hey, let's also thank Christians for ending the burning alive of "witches".
    You seem to be creating a kind of false dichotomy. Were the Christian abolitionists responsible for ending slavery or were they not? Were they directly influenced to do so by their religious convictions or not? Did these religious convictions have a positive effect on society or did it not?

    Its no use attempting to blame all Christians for the ills of slavery, the vast majority never owned a slave in their entire life and slavery existed well before Christianity, so please answer the questions.
  10. 19 Mar '17 13:12
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    I didn't follow that. Can you explain what you mean by that statement?
    In Deplorastan, condemning bigotry against people based on their religion equals "loving" Islam.
  11. Standard member vivify
    rain
    19 Mar '17 14:53
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    You seem to be creating a kind of false dichotomy. Were the Christian abolitionists responsible for ending slavery or were they not? Were they directly influenced to do so by their religious convictions or not? Did these religious convictions have a positive effect on society or did it not?
    http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/12/how-the-bible-was-used-to-justify-slavery-abolitionism/

    Henry G. Brinton, a pastor at Fairfax Presbyterian Church in Virginia, author of “Balancing Acts: Obligation, Liberation and Contemporary Christian Conflicts,” says both the Union and the Confederacy invoked the Bible to justify their positions on slavery.

    Slaveholders justified the practice by citing the Bible, Brinton says.

    They asked who could question the Word of God when it said, "slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling" (Ephesians 6:5), or "tell slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect" (Titus 2:9).


    Christians were also directly influenced by their religious convictions to burn witches alive; American Christians were directly influenced by their religious convictions to persecute and kill "witches". Did these religious convictions have a positive effect on society?
  12. 19 Mar '17 14:57
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    I didn't follow that. Can you explain what you mean by that statement?
    So that they can blame Christians for what Muslims do. It isn't Muslums, it's all religion, at least what they label religion.
  13. 19 Mar '17 14:59
    Originally posted by vivify
    http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/12/how-the-bible-was-used-to-justify-slavery-abolitionism/

    [quote]Henry G. Brinton, a pastor at Fairfax Presbyterian Church in Virginia, author of “Balancing Acts: Obligation, Liberation and Contemporary Christian Conflicts,” says both the Union and the Confederacy invoked the Bible to justify their positions on slaver ...[text shortened]... ersecute and kill "witches". Did these religious convictions have a positive effect on society?
    Burning witches predated Christians in Europe.

    In any case, we are talking about the present. Why do you bring up ancient past? Oh yes, so you can claim all religion.

    Haters gotta be haters and that's why you live Muslims.
  14. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    19 Mar '17 15:04
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Burning witches predated Christians in Europe.

    In any case, we are talking about the present. Why do you bring up ancient past? Oh yes, so you can claim all religion.

    Haters gotta be haters and that's why you live Muslims.
    Witches were burned in Europe before Christianity arrived on the scene?
  15. Standard member vivify
    rain
    19 Mar '17 15:29
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Burning witches predated Christians in Europe.
    Yes; "witches" were also burned in Old Testament biblical times, due to bible scriptures saying "witches" are to be put to death.