Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 29 Aug '12 17:38
    Bissonnette writes that none of the SEALs were fans of President Barack Obama and knew that his administration would take credit for ordering the raid. One of the SEALs said after the mission that they had just gotten Obama re-elected by carrying out the raid.

A new book coming out, no surprised that the SEALs are no Fan of Obama, the "glory hound...."
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    29 Aug '12 17:39
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    One of the SEALs said after the mission that they had just gotten Obama re-elected by carrying out the raid.
    I agree.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    29 Aug '12 17:44
    ...Obama, the "glory hound...."
    Hasn't his handling of it been restrained and dignified and totally in keeping with his status as C-in-C?
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    29 Aug '12 17:53
    I would have thought Americans generally, but men and women in uniform like SEALS etc, in particular, would have been far more aghast at the bomber jacket and the deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln in 2003 and all that. How did that C-in-C get away with THAT piece of political theatre in conservative circles?
  5. 29 Aug '12 18:00
    Bissonnette writes that none of the SEALs were fans of President Barack Obama and knew that his administration would take credit for ordering the raid. One of the SEALs said after the mission that they had just gotten Obama re-elected by carrying out the raid.

A new book coming out, no surprised that the SEALs are no Fan of Obama, the "glory hound...."
    Conservatives are really worried about this, aren't they?
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    29 Aug '12 18:03
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Conservatives are really worried about this, aren't they?
    I saw a homeless angry white male the other day. He was about to snap - screaming about Obama at a guy who wanted him to sign a petition for medical marijuana.
  7. 29 Aug '12 21:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    I would have thought Americans generally, but men and women in uniform like SEALS etc, in particular, would have been far more aghast at the bomber jacket and the deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln in 2003 and all that. How did that C-in-C get away with THAT piece of political theatre in conservative circles?
    Given that it was supposed to have galvanised the Iraqi insurgency you would think Bush jnr would have been a hate figure for the soldiers who had to contend with said insurgency.

As for soldiers who are politically partisan, for me they should take of their uniform before they sully it with the stench of party politics. Their is nothing more dangerous for democracy than a politicised soldier.
  8. 29 Aug '12 21:53
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Given that it was supposed to have galvanised the Iraqi insurgency you would think Bush jnr would have been a hate figure for the soldiers who had to contend with said insurgency.

As for soldiers who are politically partisan, for me they should take of their uniform before they sully it with the stench of party politics. Their is nothing more dangerous for democracy than a politicised soldier.
    We dont live in a "democracy" Einstein.
  9. 29 Aug '12 21:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    Hasn't his handling of it been restrained and dignified and totally in keeping with his status as C-in-C?
    that depends on where you go for your information as usual...
  10. 29 Aug '12 22:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57502917/seal-tells-60-minutes-book-is-for-honor-not-politics/
  11. Standard member Elamef37
    Queenslander
    29 Aug '12 22:33

Look how you go Old Man, like a skirt on the rag, on ya soapbox, Obama this, Obama that, stop whining like a biatch! If you're so unhappy, go live in another country. You're a real looney tune! STFU!
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    29 Aug '12 22:56
    that depends on where you go for your information as usual...
    Well I am talking about Obama's statements and behaviour in public. This is the "information" I'm talking about - in the public domain - the only relevant "information" as far as this question is concerned. Far from being a "glory hound", his handling of the news of Osama bin Laden's killing has been measured and honorable and totally appropriate considering his status as C-in-C.
  13. 29 Aug '12 23:54
    Bissonnette is also critical of President Obama in his story, saying that no one on the team was a fan of the president and that they believed he and other leaders would inflate their own roles in the story. Even before the raid began, the SEALs joked about how they would help Obama get re-elected and also speculated about who would play them in the Hollywood movie. Despite their personal feelings about Obama, however, the SEALs did agree that he made the right call, saying "Although we applauded the decision-making in this case, there was no doubt in anybody’s mind that he would take all the political credit for this too.”

They also complained that after a White House meeting with Obama and Vice President Joe Biden ("he reminded me of someone’s drunken uncle at Christmas dinner" the President invited them to return some other time for a beer, but that call never came.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    30 Aug '12 00:01
    Bissonnette is also critical of President Obama in his story, saying that no one on the team was a fan of the president and that they believed he and other leaders would inflate their own roles in the story.
    Do you have an example of Obama "inflating his role in the story"? Perhaps a YouTube clip of a speech?

Despite their personal feelings about Obama, however, the SEALs did agree that he made the right call, saying "Although we applauded the decision-making in this case, there was no doubt in anybody’s mind that he would take all the political credit for this too.”

Well these men in uniform cannot seek to take "political credit" for what they did in the line of duty, can they? By stating that Obama "made the right call" the SEALS themselves are giving him "political credit". Rightly so.
  15. 30 Aug '12 01:46
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I saw a homeless angry white male the other day. He was about to snap - screaming about Obama at a guy who wanted him to sign a petition for medical marijuana.
    Sounds about right.