Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 16 Mar '17 12:16 / 2 edits
    Looks like a judge in Hawaii has blocked yet another EO travel ban.

Just out of curiosity, could Trump simply pass a new EO that mirrors the old one every time an EO is blocked? It would essentially put a perpetual travel ban into effect despite the courts efforts.

The Prog use of EO's knows no bounds.
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 Mar '17 12:31
    Originally posted by whodey

Just out of curiosity, could Trump simply pass a new EO that mirrors the old one every time an EO is blocked? It would essentially put a perpetual travel ban into effect despite the courts efforts.

A court could theoretically issue an injunction against the President stopping him from issuing an executive order that is substantially the same as the one(s) struck down.
  3. 16 Mar '17 13:31 / 1 edit
    The President is weak. Whats the point in issuing an executive order if it cannot be carried out?
  4. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    16 Mar '17 13:43 / 1 edit

Whodey, you and "The Donald" are going to have to face the fact that the President is not a King, and a President is subject to judicial review in many areas. One of the big differences between Obama and Trump is Obama knew the law, and Trump is a spoiled child who is used to getting his way with everything, and now he cannot.

It's fun to watch him whail and whine when he doesn't get his way though.
  5. 16 Mar '17 13:56
    Originally posted by mchill
    Whodey, you and "The Donald" are going to have to face the fact that the President is not a King, and a President is subject to judicial review in many areas. One of the big differences between Obama and Trump is Obama knew the law, and Trump is a spoiled child who is used to getting his way with everything, and now he cannot.

It's fun to watch him whail and whine when he doesn't get his way though.
    I just wondered what the power of the EO was. With Obama, he could write them with impunity even though it may be in violation of the law.

I reckon you need the courts stacked in your favor to have unlimited power.

I understand the game now.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    16 Mar '17 14:15
    I just wondered what the power of the EO was. With Obama, he could write them with impunity even though it may be in violation of the law.

I reckon you need the courts stacked in your favor to have unlimited power.

I understand the game now.
    Amusingly last year the right wing blogs you incessantly quote were crowing about Obama's (who issued less executive orders per year than any President in the last 120 years - http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/23/obama-executive-orders/)poor record in the federal courts:

http://thefederalist.com/2016/07/06/obama-has-lost-in-the-supreme-court-more-than-any-modern-president/

http://dailysignal.com/2016/10/07/7-big-judicial-setbacks-to-obamas-executive-overreach/
  7. 16 Mar '17 17:25 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Amusingly last year the right wing blogs you incessantly quote were crowing about Obama's (who issued less executive orders per year than any President in the last 120 years - http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/23/obama-executive-orders/)poor record in the federal courts:

http://thefederalist.com/2016/07/06/obama-has-lost-in-the-supreme-cour ...[text shortened]... ent/

http://dailysignal.com/2016/10/07/7-big-judicial-setbacks-to-obamas-executive-overreach/
    I could write only one EO giving me all power in the universe.

There, I've written less EO's than any other sitting President. See how much restraint I have? LMAO!

The President wrote EO's that countered laws on the books. Obviously, this is illegal and people simply looked the other way just like they did with FDR locking up innocent Japanese Americans cuz the powers that be loved him, just like they did Obama.
  8. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    16 Mar '17 18:03
    I could write only one EO giving me all power in the universe.

There, I've written less EO's than any other sitting President. See how much restraint I have? LMAO!

The President wrote EO's that countered laws on the books. Obviously, this is illegal and people simply looked the other way just like they did with FDR locking up innocent Japanese Americans cuz the powers that be loved him, just like they did Obama.
    Well, you could write the executive order, but it would be challenged and overturned in the courts. You'd also be impeached which would ensure that you wrote fewer executive orders than any other US President in history. Since a number of Obama's executive orders were successfully challenged in the courts (I base this statement on No1's post above) your entire point is incoherent.
  9. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    16 Mar '17 18:59

Your use of the word "yet" gives away your true feelings young Jedi.
  10. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    17 Mar '17 05:28

Not if they never go into effect.

"The Prog use of EO's knows no bounds."
    Are you trying to be ironic, or just stupid?
  11. 17 Mar '17 08:33
    I think it helps to put this in perspective when one juxtaposes the predominately Islamic countries that have not been subject to a temporary ban for they far outweigh the seven or so that are. To term this a Muslim ban is ludicrous.
  12. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    17 Mar '17 18:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I think it helps to put this in perspective when one juxtaposes the predominately Islamic countries that have not been subject to a temporary ban for they far outweigh the seven or so that are. To term this a Muslim ban is ludicrous.
    Read the full text of the judge's ruling.
  13. 17 Mar '17 19:05
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Read a list of countries NOT banned,

Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Albania and a whole host of other countries with large Muslim populations, India for example.

Its an affront to decency and common sense to term it a Muslim ban.
  14. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    18 Mar '17 04:18
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Read a list of countries NOT banned,

Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Albania and a whole host of other countries with large Muslim populations, India for example.

Its an affront to decency and common sense to term it a Muslim ban.