Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 01 Aug '10 08:47
    The President of Israel has alleged that anti-semitism is rife in England (see the link below).
    Having recently lived near Leeds, which has a large Jewish population, I can testify that this is not so amongst the rank and file English, but it is undoubtedly the case that some of our politicians appear to favour the muslims in order to secure the votes of the millions who have unwisely been allowed to reside in Britain during the 13 years rule of NuLabour.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/7920330/Fury-as-Israel-president-claims-English-are-anti-semitic.html
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Aug '10 09:06
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    The President of Israel has alleged that anti-semitism is rife in England (see the link below).
    Having recently lived near Leeds, which has a large Jewish population, I can testify that this is not so amongst the rank and file English, but it is undoubtedly the case that some of our politicians appear to favour the muslims in order to secure the vot ...[text shortened]... llions who have unwisely been allowed to reside in Britain during the 13 years rule of NuLabour.
    If your attitude is anything to go by, I would say Islamophobia is probably more of a problem in the U.K. than anti-Semitism.
  3. 01 Aug '10 09:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    If your attitude is anything to go by, I would say Islamophobia is probably more of a problem in the U.K. than anti-Semitism.
    Indeed, islamophobia is the new anti-semitism, and if people like Sartor Resartus have their way, I'm sure we'll see history repeating itself.
  4. 01 Aug '10 09:16
    Having recently lived near Leeds, which has a large Jewish population, I can testify that this is not so amongst the rank and file English, but it is undoubtedly the case that some of our politicians appear to favour the muslims in order to secure the vot ...[text shortened]... llions who have unwisely been allowed to reside in Britain during the 13 years rule of NuLabour.
    In your comment about Muslims, are you talking about British citizens? Or Muslims who are not citizens?
  5. 01 Aug '10 09:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    The Jews have not committed acts of terrorism in England, nor have any of their Rabbis encouraged heir youth to learn the art of suicide bombing.
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Aug '10 09:29 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Indeed, islamophobia is the new anti-semitism, and if people like Sartor Resartus have their way, I'm sure we'll see history repeating itself.
    We will wait and see if Sartor Resartus engages you or insults you.

Are Jews being actively discriminated against? In employment? No. In politics? No. In terms of university admissions? No. Are they underrepresented in business, at managerial levels, as executives or shareholders? No. Do they live in fear of violence? Statistically no more than anyone else.

Is anybody seriously calling for them to be "sent back where they come from"? No. Are they subjected to constant 'political' abuse about the tenets of their religion? No. Do any national level politicians openly speak out against Jews? Does anybody use terminology usually reserved for animals, natural disasters or wars to talks about Jews, like "swamped", "invasion", "threaten", "overrun", "flood" and so on? No.

Is anybody talking about their legal presence in the U.K. and their citizenship in terms of it being a dark political conspiracy aimed at rigging elections or "destroying indigenous culture" or "threatening civilization" etc.? I think not.

Is there some prejudice amongst British people towards the Jews? Yes, in my experience... 'racial' jokes, stereotypes, offhand comments. Is there a significant problem with anti-Semitism that has an impact on the everyday lives of of British Jews? No. Is anti-Semitism - as opposed to Islamophobia - a problem in the U.K.? No.

I would say The President of Israel is playing to a domestic gallery rather than talking about reality in the U.K.
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Aug '10 09:30
    The Jews have not committed acts of terrorism in England, nor have any of their Rabbis encouraged heir youth to learn the art of suicide bombing.
    So is this some kind of justification for discrimination against a whole group of people?
  8. 01 Aug '10 09:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    So is this some kind of justification for discrimination against a whole group of people?
    These acts do not exactly endear the perpetrators or their supporters. both active and passive, to the affections of the population at large.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Aug '10 09:39
    These acts do not exactly endear the perpetrators or their supporters. both active and passive, to the affections of the population at large.
    So is mentioning lack of 'endearment' and 'affections' some kind of justification for discrimination against a whole group of people?
  10. 01 Aug '10 09:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    We will wait and see if Sartor Resartus engages you or insults you.

Are Jews being actively discriminated against? In employment? No. In politics? No. In terms of university admissions? No. Are they underrepresented in business, at managerial levels, as executives or shareholders? No. Do they live in fear of violence? Statistically no more than anyone else.
    playing to a domestic gallery rather than talking about reality in the U.K.
    As usual you are rambling off course.
    I am not wishing to 'engage' anyone, let alone people like you; merely stating facts which you find unpalatable.
  11. 01 Aug '10 09:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    In your comment about Muslims, are you talking about British citizens? Or Muslims who are not citizens?
    I am talking about muslims living in England.
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Aug '10 09:50
    As usual you are rambling off course. I am neither 'attacking', nor wishing to attack anyone; merely stating facts which you find unpalatable.
    Not at all. I am going straight to the heart of what you raised in your OP. You seem to be conceding/demonstrating that anti-Semitism is not a problem in the U.K. (as the President of Israel mistakenly claims) but that Islamophobia is a problem - you've even demonstrated one of the alleged "justifications" for anti-Muslim prejudice. For someone who claims he is not "wishing to attack anyone", you do produce an oddly incessant stream of attacks on British Muslims by way of this web site.
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Aug '10 09:52
    I am talking about muslims living in England.
    So you are talking about British citizens. That much is now clear.
  14. 01 Aug '10 10:30 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you are talking about British citizens. That much is now clear.
    Makes no difference in practice what they are called if they commit acts of terrorism, sympathise with those doing so, or condone (tacitly or overtly) such activities.
  15. 01 Aug '10 10:32
    Makes no difference in practice what they are called if they commit acts of terrorism, sympathise with those doing so, or condone (tacitly or overtly) such activities.
    Is your suggestion that the British government should ask British muslims if they sympathize with terrorists, and deport those who do?