Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 14:06
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/05/04/anti-trump-course-at-butler-university-offers-strategies-for-resistance.html

Is this unprecedented?

Students at Indiana’s Butler University will soon learn “strategies for resistance” to oppose President Donald Trump.

Students paying roughly $36,000 in tuition have signed up for a “Special Topics” class titled “Trumpism & U.S. Democracy.” The course, which begins in August and runs until December, explicitly charges the Republican with “perpetuating sexism, white supremacy, xenophobia, nationalism, nativism, and imperialism.”

“This course explores why and how this happened, how Trump’s rhetoric is contrary to the foundation of the U.S. democracy, and what his win means for the future,” reads a description on Butler’s website, first reported Wednesday by The Heartland Institute. “The course will also discuss, and potentially engage in, strategies for resistance.”

The class will be instructed by Professor Ann M. Savage of the university’s Critical Communication and Media Studies department.
    “A review by The Heartland Institute of the courses available at Butler University has yet to show any course offerings that present the Trump administration in a positive way that could balance out the course taught by Savage,” the Illinois-based think tank added.

Butler’s class echoes the work of a similar “Resistance School” at Harvard University, the brainchild of distraught professors and graduate students.

Harvard’s four-session tutorial was proctored by graduate students and ran from April 5-27.

"On November 8, we lost more than just the presidency,” the group’s website says. “We lost yet more ground in the decades-long campaign against progressive values. Republicans now control the Senate, House, and more state legislatures than they have in almost 200 years. Those losses have emboldened the right to launch an all-out attack against our nation’s creed — that all are created equal.”
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 14:55
    Originally posted by @whodey
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/05/04/anti-trump-course-at-butler-university-offers-strategies-for-resistance.html

Is this unprecedented?

Students at Indiana’s Butler University will soon learn “strategies for resistance” to oppose President Donald Trump.

Students paying roughly $36,000 in tuition have signed up for a “Special Topics” class ...[text shortened]... the right to launch an all-out attack against our nation’s creed — that all are created equal.”
    One can only hope that this course is not an upper-level course requiring prerequisite classes, so that anyone can take it.

I'll bet they already have a waiting list for the class. I'm guessing it filled up immediately.

And it is rather disingenuous to suggest that the university should also offer "course offerings that present the Trump administration in a positive way". There is nothing about the Trump administration that is "positive".

One positive thing I see about this class is that it is at Butler, in Pence's home state of Indiana. I'm guessing this sort of pushback has been a long time coming.

If you watched any news except Fox News, you might not be so full of "righteous indignation" over it.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 15:48

Is this unprecedented?
    Not really, there was also some feeble resistance against other fascist and authoritarian regimes by academics. Fortunately for the fascists, academics tend to be rather few in number, leaving sufficient gullible plebeians to target for propaganda.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 15:48
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    One can only hope that this course is not an upper-level course requiring prerequisite classes, so that anyone can take it.

I'll bet they already have a waiting list for the class. I'm guessing it filled up immediately.

And it is rather disingenuous to suggest that the university should also offer "course offerings that present the Trump administrat ...[text shortened]... u watched any news except Fox News, you might not be so full of "righteous indignation" over it.
    Should universities around the country now offer degrees in Anti-conservatism or anti-GOPism?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 15:49
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Not really, there was also some feeble resistance against other fascist and authoritarian regimes by academics. Fortunately for the fascists, academics tend to be rather few in number, leaving sufficient gullible plebeians to target for propaganda.
    So this is the first US president targeted by a college coarse?
  6. Germany
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 15:52
    So this is the first US president targeted by a college coarse?
    I think you need to take a college "coarse (sic)."
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 16:05
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    I think you need to take a college "coarse (sic)."
    Just as soon as I get that $100,000 loan.

The government says they can really get me a great interest rate.

I'm exited! 😵
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 16:18
    I'm exited! 😵
    From where?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 16:37
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    From where?
    Trump "U", where else?

Do you reckon they will still offer the same courses?
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 16:46
    courses
    Hallelujah, the manchild is learning!

Careful, Whodey. You don't wanna come across as being too educated. Education is bad, don't you know. All the lefties do it!
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 18:021 edit

Is this unprecedented?

Students paying roughly $36,000 in tuition have signed up for a “Special Topics” class ...[text shortened]... the right to launch an all-out attack against our nation’s creed — that all are created equal.”
    Butler is a private university.

Supply and demand.

They want to offer that crap to the triggered millennial sheep who are willing to pay for it? No skin off my nose.

If you want to argue a principle, it should be whether the university should be required to disclose the potential effect of having that course on a transcript on the student's job prospects.
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 18:30
    Originally posted by @sh76
    If you want to argue a principle, it should be whether the university should be required to disclose the potential effect of having that course on a transcript on the student's job prospects.
    Kind of like the warning on a pack of cigarettes?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 19:011 edit
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Butler is a private university.

Supply and demand.

They want to offer that crap to the triggered millennial sheep who are willing to pay for it? No skin off my nose.

What if it were a similar class that was against Obama?

Would they be considered clansmen?
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 19:151 edit
    What if it were a similar class that was against Obama?

Would they be considered clansmen?
    Everything depends on why.

Are they protesting something legitimate like overt racism? Blatant sexism? Unabashed narcissism? Unarguable stupidity and ignorance that not even conservatives will deny? A history of moral corruption like Trump U and pardoning criminals convicted of violating people's civil rights? Damaging people's healthcare by cutting funding for it and making it more expensive? Damaging the planet by castrating the EPA, which lead to dumping in our waters and approval of pesticides known to give children brain cancer?

Yeah, if Obama did that, by all means, feel free to have a "coarse".
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 19:38
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Kind of like the warning on a pack of cigarettes?
    Not quite.

I don't love the idea of government mandated warnings. But failing to disclose material information can and should lead to civil liability.

The government shouldn't force Butler to disclose anything. But that course appearing on a student's transcript might very well decrease the student's employment prospects. Speaking as someone who does a lot of hiring, the thing I try hardest to avoid is whiny types of any political persuasion. Registering for a course that is focused on bashing a sitting President and his constituency rather than for another course where the student may have learned something productive is absolutely a strike against the candidate in my view and, I imagine, in the views of many other potential employers. I'd say the same for someone who signed up for a course in how bad Obama was, of course.