Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 16:54
    Since Trump will soon be elected president, can anyone recommend a nice quiet country to move to? I may have to get by on Google Translator for the first year so.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 17:132 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    Since Trump will soon be elected president, can anyone recommend a nice quiet country to move to? I may have to get by on Google Translator for the first year so.
    Canada but they are now ruining their country the same way the US started to do back in 1965 with the Hart-Celler Act.
    Championed by the traitor Ted Kennedy, may he rot in hell. .
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 17:38
    I hear good things about Northern Europe.

I would also stay away from any countries that Trump might not like.
  4. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 17:532 edits
    Belize?

http://www.expatexchange.com/ctryguide/4088/20/Belize/Expat-Belize-10-Tips-for-Living-in-Belize

And here's another site:
    http://www.belizeretirementguide.com/why_retire_to_belize.htm

21 Reasons to Retire to Belize

The low cost of living in Belize is a major draw for North Americans and Europeans whether permanently relocating or merely having a second home or vacation getaway.

The Belize Government offers excellent retirement advantages and incentives.

Belize is the only English speaking country in Central America. All signs and government forms are in English. English is the primary language taught and spoken in all schools.

Foreigners can own real estate in Belize.

Belize is close to the United States and Canada enabling travel back and forth quickly and inexpensively.

Belizeans are friendly and charming. Even first time visitors are welcomed by their genuine hospitality.

Title to property in Belize may be taken individually, jointly or in a corporate name.

You receive fee simple title to your property when purchasing in Belize.

There is easy access to find a building lot to construct your dream home.

Financing is often available when purchasing property in Belize.

The government of this Caribbean haven is offering incentives to encourage more tourism.

Cruise ship tourism is up 300% in five years. This tropical paradise is on the way to becoming the best destination for retirees, expats and property owners.

Belize is a British Commonwealth country with a longstanding democratic tradition and independent judiciary.

Belize is naturally beautiful, with an abundance of natural resources and things to see such as aqua blue waters, quiet beaches, an extensive diversity of birds and wildlife, Mayan ruins, waterfalls, rainforests, rivers, caves and tropical forests.

Belize protects 60% of its tropical forests with over 500 species of birds.

Belize has some of the friendliest, kindest people in the world.

There is a stable, fixed exchange rate. US$1=BZ$2.

Belize has the second largest barrier reef in the world making its' waters some of the best dive sites in the Hemisphere.

Belize offers superb river fishing, fly fishing and big game fishing.

Belize was once a center of the ancient Mayan world.

The sizeable retirement community offers opportunities to meet and socialize.
  5. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 18:431 edit
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Belize?

http://www.expatexchange.com/ctryguide/4088/20/Belize/Expat-Belize-10-Tips-for-Living-in-Belize

And here's another site:

[b]21 Reasons to Retire to Belize

The low cost of living in Belize is a major draw for North Americans and Europeans whether permanently relocatin ...[text shortened]... ayan world.

The sizeable retirement community offers opportunities to meet and socialize.[/b]
    That does sound nice. Lots of rain though:

Average rainfall varies considerably, from 1,350 mm (53.1 in) in the north and west to over 4,500 mm (177.2 in) in the extreme south.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belize#Climate
  6. Germany
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 19:181 edit
    It depends on what work you want to do (if any) and how much you care about the weather. There are by the way plenty of countries where English is not the main language but you will still be fine knowing only English.

Canada is probably a decent choice and not so likely to get bombed by Trump (unless some terrorists' family members happen to be living there).
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 19:20
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Belize?

And here's another site:

[b]21 Reasons to Retire to Belize

The low cost of living in Belize is a major draw for North Americans and Europeans whether permanently relocatin ...[text shortened]... ayan world.

The sizeable retirement community offers opportunities to meet and socialize.[/b]
    This seems sooo lovely. It's just that with the Zika virus and all of their deadly, disease-spreading insects, I'd constantly be on edge. In Central America, there's even an insect called the "assassin bug". Thanks, but I may have to pass on this one.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 19:291 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It depends on what work you want to do (if any) and how much you care about the weather. There are by the way plenty of countries where English is not the main language but you will still be fine knowing only English.

Canada is probably a decent choice and not so likely to get bombed by Trump (unless some terrorists' family members happen to be living there).
    Canada's a good choice. I just feel like it's too close to a country that's despised all over the world. When war inevitably breaks out under Trump, I think Canada may get dragged in. I can also imagine scores of Americans rushing the Canadian border in the event of a war, making for hilarious irony when they're denied entry.
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 19:32
    Now dis answer ain't no country but ya might consider Newfoundland. Da folks dere's right frenly and of course dey got screech too eh?
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 19:33
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra

No thanks. I've lived in upstate New York almost all my life; not even Trump is going to make me go some place colder.

To tell you the truth, Trump would be an embarrassing President but he'd probably do less damage than Cruz or Rubio.
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 22:17
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That does sound nice. Lots of rain though:

Average rainfall varies considerably, from 1,350 mm (53.1 in) in the north and west to over 4,500 mm (177.2 in) in the extreme south.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belize#Climate
    I think I could handle the rain. It's tropical diseases that make me queasy.

Canada or Scandinavia would be nice except for the cold weather. Mexico is a hellhole thanks to US drug policy, and the Middle East is a hellhole thanks to US foreign policy.

Maybe Australia. Nice country. Election days are holidays -- vote or risk a small fine.
  12. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 22:47
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    I think I could handle the rain. It's tropical diseases that make me queasy.

Canada or Scandinavia would be nice except for the cold weather. Mexico is a hellhole thanks to US drug policy, and the Middle East is a hellhole thanks to US foreign policy.

Maybe Australia. Nice country. Election days are holidays -- vote or risk a small fine.
    I have some in laws that retired to Italy. They love it, and never quit talking up the free health care.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 23:301 edit
    It's hard to move to Aus/NZ unless you are rich or have a desired professional skill. You'll need references, passing a on-line live interview, etc just to be able to apply. Your partner if you have one will need the same as you.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    03 Mar '16 00:05
    One of my senior breakfast group has been raving about Belize for a decade. I keep telling him, Go, or you'll end up dying here.

The trouble with small nations is that they tend to be easy targets for either domestic or foreign takeover.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    03 Mar '16 00:08
    Must be getting pretty confident, or paranoid about Trump's electoral chances.