Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 18:43
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-documentary-netflix-knock-the-house-price-aoc-a8769156.html

Thanks to Netflix paying millions for her "story".

So much for the "Green Deal"
  2. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 19:42
    @whodey
    The American dream !!
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 21:06
    @mghrn55

Politics is truly the get rich scheme of the US.

The irony is, to be successful all they have to do is say they want to take money from the rich. People love that kind of talk. They always have, and always will.

What irony.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 21:10
    Whodey would be much more impressed if Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez inherited money like Donald Trump did.
  5. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 22:29
    @whodey said
    @mghrn55

Politics is truly the get rich scheme of the US.

The irony is, to be successful all they have to do is say they want to take money from the rich. People love that kind of talk. They always have, and always will.

What irony.
    If lying were an Olympic sport, you'd do your country proud whodey. No one wants to take money from the rich, or anyone else for that matter. The rich in America control at least half this countries wealth, they own the political process, they own the President, they own at least half of Congress, they can afford the best legal representation, and the best healthcare. ALERT- Many of the 1% pay no taxes at all-The rich have stacked the legal and political deck in their favor, and have invested lots of $$ brainwashing weak minded souls like you into thinking they are somehow "under attack" by the other 99% who have the gaul to ask for a living wage, and for the 1% to close that multitude of tax loopholes that allow them to escape paying their share of taxes.

I know you're not actually going to read this, but I thought I'd respond anyway. 🙄
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 22:49
    @whodey said
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-documentary-netflix-knock-the-house-price-aoc-a8769156.html

And now tell us how much Donald has made off the Presidency in only two years.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 23:00
    @whodey
    So you are jealous you didn't get any of it. I had a friend, Pete Seeger, who was a 20th century folk icon, died worth about 4 million. Then I find hate mail about him, how could he DARE to make money just selling folk music, even though he made something like 100 records in his life and had 2 # 1 hits in the mid 20th century with his group 'the Weavers'.
    I was aghast that someone would issue hate mail about such a thing, He did concerts all the way round the world several time.
    Sounds similar to your objection to a person making money on her own petards.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 23:07
    @duchess64 said
    Whodey would be much more impressed if Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez inherited money like Donald Trump did.
    I'll try to give you a clue, why I don't know because it won't do any good.

If you are self righteous and coloring your face black, and then get caught doing it, then that makes you look like a fool.

Likewise, if you complain about "rich folk" being "immoral", then become rich, that also makes you look like a fool.

Embrace both situations that make you look the fool, then at least people can say you are consistent.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 23:08
    @sonhouse said
    @whodey
    So you are jealous you didn't get any of it. I had a friend, Pete Seeger, who was a 20th century folk icon, died worth about 4 million. Then I find hate mail about him, how could he DARE to make money just selling folk music, even though he made something like 100 records in his life and had 2 # 1 hits in the mid 20th century with his group 'the Weavers'.
    I was ag ...[text shortened]... e world several time.
    Sounds similar to your objection to a person making money on her own petards.
    "I had a friend, Pete Seeger, who was a 20th century folk icon, died worth about 4 million."
    --Sonhouse

I suspect that some people may have criticized Pete Seeger not for being a rich
    folk musician but for being a rich Communist.

""I still call myself a communist, because communism is no more what Russia made
    of it than Christianity is what the churches make of it."
    --Pete Seeger (1995)
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 23:10
    @whodey said
    I'll try to give you a clue, why I don't know because it won't do any good.

If you are self righteous and coloring your face black, and then get caught doing it, then that makes you look like a fool.

Likewise, if you complain about "rich folk" being "immoral", then become rich, that also makes you look like a fool.

Embrace both situations that make you look the fool, then at least people can say you are consistent.
    Has Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez objected to progressive taxation or complained
    that she's paying 'too much' tax for someone in her income bracket?
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 02:51
    @whodey said

Netflix is paying millions to the filmmakers, not AOC (who is only one of the central characters in the documentary):

“We are thrilled to be partnering with Netflix on the release of Knock Down the House,” said director Lears, who also co-wrote the film. “This platform will allow us to reach huge audiences worldwide, including viewers who may not usually watch independent documentaries. We’re also very excited to be working with Netflix on a campaign to spark wider cultural conversations about our democracy and how it can continue to evolve.”

“Knock Down The House” is a Jubilee Films production, in association with Atlas Films and Artemis Rising, executive produced by Regina K. Scully, and co-executive produced by Chicago Media Project and Wavelength Productions.

The deal was brokered by Cinetic Media on behalf of the filmmakers.

https://www.thewrap.com/netflix-acquire-alexandra-ocasio-cortez-documentary-knock-down-the-house/
  12. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 15:05
    @mchill said
    If lying were an Olympic sport, you'd do your country proud whodey. No one wants to take money from the rich, or anyone else for that matter. The rich in America control at least half this countries wealth, they own the political process, they own the President, they own at least half of Congress, they can afford the best legal representation, and the best healthcare. ALERT- ...[text shortened]... e of taxes.

I know you're not actually going to read this, but I thought I'd respond anyway. 🙄
    Well, while everyone wants to make life hell for the 'rich' people, (Henry Ford, Bill Gates, Jobs, et al,) our citizens sure do enjoy their products, and they sure enjoy the fruits of the most envied diverse nation in the world. Wonder how it go that way? The investments and philanthropy of the rich. They are welcome to their yachts, should we not give them another one?
  13. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 23:50
    @averagejoe1 said
    Well, while everyone wants to make life hell for the 'rich' people, (Henry Ford, Bill Gates, Jobs, et al,) our citizens sure do enjoy their products, and they sure enjoy the fruits of the most envied diverse nation in the world. Wonder how it go that way? The investments and philanthropy of the rich. They are welcome to their yachts, should we not give them another one?
    Shhh!...the majority here think the govt is the source of money.
  14. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 23:52
    @mchill said
    If lying were an Olympic sport, you'd do your country proud whodey. No one wants to take money from the rich, or anyone else for that matter. The rich in America control at least half this countries wealth, they own the political process, they own the President, they own at least half of Congress, they can afford the best legal representation, and the best healthcare. ALERT- ...[text shortened]... e of taxes.

refresh my memory...didn't you say previously you were a business owner?