Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    28 Mar '13 15:48
    I've been reading newspapers, magazines, and watching TV for a long time now. I've always wondered why only white people (and in most cases white males) are accused of raciam. Are other (so called) minority groups really blameless in this area? They must be... because I've never heard of a African, Latino or Asian American accused of recism, or engaging in racist pracitces. Hmmmm

http://newsone.com/1339595/opinion-are-most-white-people-racist/
  2. 28 Mar '13 16:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    I've been reading newspapers, magazines, and watching TV for a long time now. I've always wondered why only white people (and in most cases white males) are accused of raciam. Are other (so called) minority groups really blameless in this area? They must be... because I've never heard of a African, Latino or Asian American accused of recism, or engaging in racist pracitces. Hmmmm

I think thats a dangerous myth and white people guilt themselves to much over it - robert mugabe, the hindu cast system, you get racism everywhere

I notice with stuff i read about chinese people - they seem to reserve racism for the japanesse - but some also think Europeans are heathens, that used to be an accepted point of view there .
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    28 Mar '13 16:13

What a bizarre and poorly written article.

I've read it three times and I can't figure out the point. Every paragraph seems to contradict the last one.

4. 28 Mar '13 16:16
    Are you asking a rhetorical question? Of course all races can be racist.

I don't even like the term, "reverse racism" because it implies it's solely a white thing.
  5. 28 Mar '13 17:27
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Are you asking a rhetorical question? Of course all races can be racist.

I don't even like the term, "reverse racism" because it implies it's solely a white thing.
    Can you name a black racist?
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    28 Mar '13 18:43
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Robert Mugabe
  7. 28 Mar '13 18:52
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Robert Mugabe
    You're a hispanic type, so it is no surprise that you could see a black racist. I'd be really surprised to see if a white liberal could identify a black racist.
  8. 28 Mar '13 18:55
    I live in South Africa, and nearly everybody here is racist. The difference is that most of them have very little power to do something with it. A lot of the racism that affects people directly, is white employers favoring white employees, but it is most definitely not restricted to this pattern.
    The main objection that comes from white people is that they feel discriminated against by laws that encourage equal opportunity for all races.

I come from Zambia which is mostly black, and to a large extent experienced positive racism ie I was often favored by black people because of my race. I think the only time I can recall definite negative racism against me was when I was refused entry into the Zambian Army baracks and they specifically said they do not allow white people in. I am a Zambian Citizen, and I was with my employer at the time who is half Indian half black and they let him in.

In general accusations of racism are not made when someone makes racist comments, or acts racist, they are made when someone does something that negatively affects someone else because of their race. So if you are beaten by the police because your black, they will call the police racist. If the person being beaten makes racist comments about the police, nobody will care.
  9. 28 Mar '13 19:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Usually the terms racist is applied to people who wield power to oppress people based on race. But I think there is a broader term, or should be, to encompass caste and religious and ethnic oppression. For now racism will do.

For understandable (if not justifiable) reasons, there is probably prejudice based on these factors among all peoples, but historically those in power are the ones that come to be known as racists, to the degree they have the power to rally support and enforce their racist views on those not in power. Those not in power may be just as likely to have racist views and just as likely to enforce their views if they get the chance. So all we have to do is understand that "racist" in the popular mind applies to racists who are in power, not to potential racists who are not (yet) in power.

We see glimmers to say the least in Jamie Foxx (recent SNL rant) Louis Farrakhan, Jeremiah Wright, maybe (this depends on whether antisemitism is racism)-- at least, as such men rise to power and celebrity, their speech and actions become less guarded and are seen to tend toward or indiccate racism.
  10. 28 Mar '13 19:19
    Originally posted by JS357
    Usually the terms racist is applied to people who wield power to oppress people based on race. But I think there is a broader term, or should be, to encompass caste and religious and ethnic oppression. For now racism will do.

For understandable (if not justifiable) reasons, there is probably prejudice based on these factors among all peoples, but historical ...[text shortened]... their speech and actions become less guarded and are seen to tend toward or indiccate racism.
    Perhaps some view it this way. Not me. I consider racism and bigotry to be potential characteristics of anyone, regardless of race, and regardless of what big or small consequences may follow. Also, I would say EVERYONE has prejudice, and that in and of itself is not bigotry nor racism.

Also, while it may be true to some extent in this country that whites hold power and are hence guilty of oppression. This in and of itself is a sweeping generalization and is tinged with a hint of bigotry/racism itself.

While it may be true that most in power are white, it is not true that most whites have the power to oppress. But, a white person that is in a low place in society is NEVER excused of being racist regardless of his lack of power, why should we excuse a black man of being racist just because he doesn't hold much power?
  11. 28 Mar '13 19:22
    The only people I know who are racits are Teabaggers.

And as far as I know, they be all whities.
  12. 28 Mar '13 19:27
    Originally posted by JS357

For understandable (if not justifiable) reasons, there is probably prejudice based on these factors among all peoples, but historical ...[text shortened]... their speech and actions become less guarded and are seen to tend toward or indiccate racism.
    Al Sharpton, who although he had little national or government power, exercised considerable power in Harlem, resulting in the burning of a business, and the loss of life.

Damian (football) Williams, who during the Rodney King riots beat a passerby truck driver to a comatose state. For a few moments he had power of life or death in his hands.

'White girl bleed a lot" or "the Knockout Game" http://whitegirlbleedalot.com/

The argument for power as a part of racism is threadbare. The power can be great or small, permanent or temporary, and power is only requisite to express or demonstrate the racism. Without the power, it is festering below the surface waiting to be mated with power it can acquire from anyone or anywhere.
  13. 28 Mar '13 19:29 / 1 edit
    I think this guy qualifies:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBrywpS3v3s

With a minute of googling I could provide countless more examples.
  14. 28 Mar '13 19:42
    Almost everyone (people with rare genetic disorders excluded) is born a racist, regardless of race. Smart people know this and have learned to question their prejudices.
  15. 28 Mar '13 19:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Al Sharpton, who although he had little national or government power, exercised considerable power in Harlem, resulting in the burning of a business, and the loss of life.

Damian (football) Williams, who during the Rodney King riots beat a passerby truck driver to a comatose state. For a few moments he had power of life or death in his hands.

'Whit ing below the surface waiting to be mated with power it can acquire from anyone or anywhere.
    The exercise of power is when racism, if it is to be observed, is made observable.

Those not in power will not be recognized as racists, even though they may be.