Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    22 Feb '18 18:132 edits
    It seems to me that this RHP Debates forum would be a good place to test run a Russia-style bot to foment divisiveness and undermine democratic processes.

    Apparently these bots take advantage of a human tendency to be stimulated by reading extremist views in a way that increases the extremism of one’s own views and shuts down moderation and compromise, two qualities that are important in a democracy. These efforts are automated in bots simply to increase their numbers.

    Newcomers to a public forum who act in the way described may be suspect. But more important, perhaps, is for each of us to be wary of being drawn into extremist positions that know of no compromise or moderation. Giving too much attention to extremist posts, might be unhealthy for us and our democracies.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35850
    22 Feb '18 20:041 edit
    Originally posted by @js357
    It seems to me that this RHP Debates forum would be a good place to test run a Russia-style bot to foment divisiveness and undermine democratic processes.

    Apparently these bots take advantage of a human tendency to be stimulated by reading extremist views in a way that increases the extremism of one’s own views and shuts down moderation and compromise, two ...[text shortened]... on. Giving too much attention to extremist posts, might be unhealthy for us and our democracies.
    The reason the bots have been successful is that, especially on social media, there have always been these extremists, with their FoxNews spoon-fed views on everything, spreading their hate from one corner of the internet to the other. No need to be logical at all, in fact the content only demands they be radicalized against the "gummint".

    I guess we can thank Limbaugh and Hannity for making it cool to be a complete uninformed jackass in public, which is only made easier with a keyboard to hide behind.
  3. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88898
    22 Feb '18 20:08
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    The reason the bots have been successful is that, especially on social media, there have always been these extremists, with their FoxNews spoon-fed views on everything, spreading their hate from one corner of the internet to the other. No need to be logical at all, in fact the content only demands they be radicalized against the "gummint".
    There are more extremists than right wing ones, you do acknowledge this don’t you? Furthermore, anyone right of your position is not “extremist”.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35850
    22 Feb '18 20:141 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    There are more extremists than right wing ones, you do acknowledge this don’t you? Furthermore, anyone right of your position is not “extremist”.
    You have heard of the neo-nazis, the skinheads, the unemployed dipsh-- Americans that have been trained to blame Obama for their impotent situation caused by the conservative right, right?

    Leftists aren't nearly as likely to pick up their "God-given" assault weapon to "make my day". I'm not too concerned about lunatics shouting from street corners.
  5. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88898
    22 Feb '18 20:16
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    You have heard of the neo-nazis, the skinheads, the unemployed dipsh-- Americans that have been trained to blame Obama for their impotent situation caused by the conservative right, right?

    Leftists aren't nearly as likely to pick up their "God-given" assault weapon to "make my day".
    Do you acknowledge that there are left wing extremists?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35850
    22 Feb '18 20:192 edits
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Do you acknowledge that there are left wing extremists?
    Do you acknowledge that most of the loudest, most strident voices on the internet are from the right?

    As I said, the lunatics shouting from street corners don't worry me. It's mostly the white-right advocating "taking back our country"that do.
  7. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88898
    22 Feb '18 20:24
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Do you acknowledge that most of the loudest, most strident voices on the internet are from the right?

    As I said, the lunatics shouting from street corners don't worry me. It's mostly the white-right advocating "taking back our country"that do.
    If there is valid evidence.

    Do you acknowledge that there are left wing extremists?
  8. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88898
    22 Feb '18 20:272 edits
    I guess you don’t then.

    😉
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    22 Feb '18 20:542 edits
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I guess you don’t then.

    😉
    It might help the discussion if you provide examples.

    It might not be so pronounced in the US, lately.

    From Wikipedia:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-wing_terrorism

    United States
    Modern left-wing terrorist groups in the United States developed from remnants of the Weather Underground and extremist elements of the Students for a Democratic Society. Between 1973 and 1975, the Symbionese Liberation Army was active, committing bank robberies, two murders, and other acts of violence. Most notably, the group kidnapped heiress Patty Hearst.[11] During the 1980s, both the May 19th Communist Organization (M19CO) and the smaller United Freedom Front were active. A 2001 study found "Leftist extremists were responsible for three fourths of the officially designated acts of terrorism in America in the 1980s."[12] After 1985, following the dismantling of both groups, one source reports there were no confirmed acts of left-wing terrorism by similar groups.
    Incidents of left-wing terrorism dropped off at the end of the Cold War (circa 1989), partly due to the loss of support for communism.[
  10. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88898
    22 Feb '18 21:00
    Originally posted by @js357
    It might not be so pronounced in the US, lately.

    From Wikipedia:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-wing_terrorism

    United States
    Modern left-wing terrorist groups in the United States developed from remnants of the Weather Underground and extremist elements of the Students for a Democratic Society. Between 1973 and 1975, the Symbionese Liberation Ar ...[text shortened]... d off at the end of the Cold War (circa 1989), partly due to the loss of support for communism.[
    Thanks for posting the info.

    I wasn’t even thinking that extreme; suzianne seems to operate from a very closed partisan mindset where the world is divided into good and evil, Dems and Repubs, posters she likes and posters she doesn’t.

    I was just pressure testing that hypothesis.
  11. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    81383
    22 Feb '18 22:06
    Originally posted by @js357
    It seems to me that this RHP Debates forum would be a good place to test run a Russia-style bot to foment divisiveness and undermine democratic processes.

    Apparently these bots take advantage of a human tendency to be stimulated by reading extremist views in a way that increases the extremism of one’s own views and shuts down moderation and compromise, two ...[text shortened]... on. Giving too much attention to extremist posts, might be unhealthy for us and our democracies.
    democrats doesn't want any competition in leading their lemmings. Bots would never influence a conservative.
  12. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    81383
    23 Feb '18 00:011 edit
    How are the people on this forum, that are not US citizens, that post anti-Trump continuously, any different from a "Russian bot", other than being from a different country? Is meuller coming for you? Nah...doesn't fit the narrative.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    23 Feb '18 01:18
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    How are the people on this forum, that are not US citizens, that post anti-Trump continuously, any different from a "Russian bot", other than being from a different country? Is meuller coming for you? Nah...doesn't fit the narrative.
    I understand from my reading that the “Russian bots” were not uniformly anti-Trump. Instead they were aimed at spreading out the extremes of polarization to discredit the US political process by making it seem to be a corrupt mess, dominated by extremists on both sides. (Which, if you believe the frequent posters here, it might be.)

    But you are right to ask how we could tell a human from any country apart from a Russian bot. The intention was to pass for extremist Americans. Only an expert could track the posts back to the actual origin.
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    23 Feb '18 02:021 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    How are the people on this forum, that are not US citizens, that post anti-Trump continuously, any different from a "Russian bot", other than being from a different country? Is meuller coming for you? Nah...doesn't fit the narrative.
    How are the people in this forum that are U.S. citizens, that post pro-Trump trash continuously, any different from a Russian bot, other than being much more repulsive and a whole lot dumber?
  15. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    56327
    23 Feb '18 05:23
    Originally posted by @js357
    It seems to me that this RHP Debates forum would be a good place to test run a Russia-style bot to foment divisiveness and undermine democratic processes.

    Apparently these bots take advantage of a human tendency to be stimulated by reading extremist views in a way that increases the extremism of one’s own views and shuts down moderation and compromise, two ...[text shortened]... on. Giving too much attention to extremist posts, might be unhealthy for us and our democracies.
    I don’t know, but there’s certainly enough people who drone on about the same subjects...

    Boom boom!
Back to Top