Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 Aug '12 02:13
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/14/atheism-rise-religiosity-decline-in-america_n_1777031.html

The poll, called "The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism," found that the number of Americans who say they are "religious" dropped from 73 percent in 2005 (the last time the poll was conducted) to 60 percent.

That is an incredible number. According to that survey, almost 20% of formerly religious Americans dropped their religion in the last seven years!

Is this a trend that will continue, stay steady or reverse itself?
  2. 16 Aug '12 02:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/14/atheism-rise-religiosity-decline-in-america_n_1777031.html

The poll, called "The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism," found that the number of Americans who say they are "religious" dropped from 73 percent in 2005 (the last time the poll was conducted) to 60 percent.

That is an incredible number ...[text shortened]... the last seven years!

I think it will continue and I do hope it does.

It will be a long time (if ever) before religion goes away, but I think the rate of change will go through spurts and for the foreseeable future I do think that number will grow even if it does slow down.
  3. 16 Aug '12 06:02

Does not being religious automatically make you an atheist?
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    16 Aug '12 08:09
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    There are several highly religionist Christians [at least to my way of thinking] on the Spirituality Forum who insist that they are self-described committed Christians but distance themselves from "religion". It seems to be some kind of attempt to position themselves as being above the fray and/or not answerable for the deeds and words of fellow Christians and their myriad religious denominations, sects, cults and PayPal accounts etc. Could this phenomenon have affected the survey cited in the OP?
  5. 16 Aug '12 08:20

I'd be careful with those numbers, to me it's doesn't say that 20% "dropped their religion", only that it is becoming more acceptable to admit you are atheist. Most of them probably were the kind of "religious people" who only ever entered a church for weddings and funerals.
  6. 16 Aug '12 11:48
    In most societies, a minority of religious people are the nosiest about their beliefs. We then tend to think that all members of a given religion believe the same things and think the same way. However there is actually a very wide range of belief even amongst those that regularly gather together for religious meetings, but it is often not obvious what those beliefs are.
    You would think for example that most theists believe in an after life, yet if you do a survey you find that a fairly high proportion of those professing to be theist do not believe in an after life or are agnostic about it.
    Also how people describe their beliefs is strongly related to peer pressure. So I would suspect that changes in surveys could have as much to do with how acceptable it is to call yourself non-religious as it does with actual changes in belief.
  7. 16 Aug '12 11:59

To be repleced with what I wonder?

As the Bible indicates, everyone needs a shepherd. Now Big Brother I think has filled the role.

Enjoy America.
  8. 16 Aug '12 12:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    There are several highly religionist Christians [at least to my way of thinking] on the Spirituality Forum who insist that they are self-described committed Christians but distance themselves from "religion". It seems to be some kind of attempt to position themselves as being above the fray and/or not answerable for the deeds and words of fellow Christians and t ...[text shortened]... cults and PayPal accounts etc. Could this phenomenon have affected the survey cited in the OP?
    If Christ has set the bar then those that do not live up to his example have fallen short, right? After all, when did CHrist say to wage Crusades and create Inquisitions etc?

The church is much like government. It was set up to serve the people, then human nature kicks into gear and the next thing you know we are licking their boots.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 Aug '12 12:46 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Not at all. But both groups (Atheists and non-religious) are on the rise and there is obviously a strong correlation.
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    16 Aug '12 13:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    If Christ has set the bar then those that do not live up to his example have fallen short, right? After all, when did CHrist say to wage Crusades and create Inquisitions etc?

The church is much like government. It was set up to serve the people, then human nature kicks into gear and the next thing you know we are licking their boots.
    What do you mean when you say "the church" and what do you mean when you say you have been "licking their boots"?
  11. 16 Aug '12 13:19
    I would expect that trend to continue for some time, as it has in most of the western world.
  12. 16 Aug '12 13:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    To be repleced with what I wonder?
    Does the church need to be replaced with anything? Why not just get rid of it?

Maybe take away their tax exemption status and see how they can survive in the free market on an equal footing with other businesses and property owners?
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 Aug '12 14:01
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Does the church need to be replaced with anything? Why not just get rid of it?

Maybe take away their tax exemption status and see how they can survive in the free market on an equal footing with other businesses and property owners?
    The Church only gets tax exempt status because it's a non-profit organization. Virtually every other non-profit organization gets the same. Do you want to remove tax exempt status for all non-profits or just for the Church?
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 Aug '12 14:04
    Also, the non-religious movement in the last decade has been blessed with charismatic spokepersons who can relate to the various elements of western society. Dawkins for the rabble, Hitchens for the thinkers, Maher for those with a short attention span, etc.

Who have been the religious flag bearers in that time? Jerry Falwell? Joel Osteen? Come on.
  15. 16 Aug '12 14:15
    The Church only gets tax exempt status because it's a non-profit organization. Virtually every other non-profit organization gets the same. Do you want to remove tax exempt status for all non-profits or just for the Church?
    Ouch. You are bordering on heresy here sh.