Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 19 Jun '17 14:55 / 2 edits
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40322960

I presume Donald Trump will now put a temporary travel ban on people from predominantly white countries until he has worked out what the hell is going on.
  2. 19 Jun '17 15:21
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40322960

I presume Donald Trump will now put a temporary travel ban on people from predominantly white countries until he has worked out what the hell is going on.
    Obviously. Why did these countries let these people in? And why don't we hear leaders of the non-Muslim community denouncing extremism within their group?
  3. 19 Jun '17 16:24
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Obviously. Why did these countries let these people in? And why don't we hear leaders of the non-Muslim community denouncing extremism within their group?
    Well, I suppose partially because - while tragic - this attack is, as of yet, an isolated incident and not, like the recent string of Islamic motivated attacks, one of too many in too short of a time and because it is quite probably a (wrong) response to those attacks.

But, yes, it sure is cute, this "Haha, Muslims got attacked, now we can quickly equate this attack with the previous ones" schtick.

So now you and Finnegan and No1Marauder can have a bit of fun with this "reverse terrorism" bollocks and then Whodey and Eladar and some of those other nutcases can come in and defend their point of view and maybe Duchess can say something about reading comprehension or lack thereof and before you know it you have the same old "left vs. right" shouting contest where no-one ever dares to concede the other side might have a point, where Eladar wishes to put everyone who might be a Muslim on a train and the lefties refuse to admit that maybe there is a problem with the Muslim community in the West that needs to be adressed and blahblahblah and the bodies keep piling up.

Haha, fun times, eh?
  4. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    19 Jun '17 16:31
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Well, I suppose partially because - while tragic - this attack is, as of yet, an isolated incident and not, like the recent string of Islamic motivated attacks, one of too many in too short of a time and because it is quite probably a (wrong) response to those attacks.

But, yes, it sure is cute, this "Haha, Muslims got attacked, now we can quickly ...[text shortened]... hat needs to be adressed and blahblahblah and the bodies keep piling up.

Haha, fun times, eh?
    Nailed it.

Why do we read this damned forum again?
  5. 19 Jun '17 16:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Nailed it.

Why do we read this damned forum again?
    Sh i ts & Giggles.
  6. 19 Jun '17 16:37

But, yes, it sure is cute, this "Haha, Muslims got attacked, now we can quickly ...[text shortened]... hat needs to be adressed and blahblahblah and the bodies keep piling up.

Haha, fun times, eh?
    Isolated incident?
  7. 19 Jun '17 16:38
    Isolated incident?
    Yes?
  8. 19 Jun '17 16:39
    Yes?
    No?
  9. 19 Jun '17 16:41
    No?
    Possibly.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    19 Jun '17 16:56
    Possibly.
    I wouldn't call such incidents "isolated". https://theintercept.com/2015/12/12/threats-and-violent-attacks-against-muslims-in-the-u-s-just-from-this-week/
  11. Standard member shavixmironline
    Guppy poo
    19 Jun '17 16:59

Haha, fun times, eh?
    Yeah, there's no slightly anti-muslim violence happening at all...

There's not buckets full of civilians dying due to Western bombing.

Oh, excuse me! Regular army attrocities shouldn't count...
  12. 19 Jun '17 17:08
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I wouldn't call such incidents "isolated". https://theintercept.com/2015/12/12/threats-and-violent-attacks-against-muslims-in-the-u-s-just-from-this-week/
    Yes, racist attacks happen. Compiling multiple attacks in one handy overview does that make them non-isolated.
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    19 Jun '17 17:11 / 1 edit
    Yes, racist attacks happen. Compiling multiple attacks in one handy overview does that make them non-isolated.
    What definition of "isolated" are you using? This one:

not often occurring or repeated

https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/isolated

That doesn't seem to fit the reality:

Hate crimes against American Muslims have soared to their highest levels since the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, according to data compiled by researchers, an increase apparently fueled by terrorist attacks in the United States and abroad and by divisive language on the campaign trail.

The trend has alarmed hate crime scholars and law-enforcement officials, who have documented hundreds of attacks — including arsons at mosques, assaults, shootings and threats of violence — since the beginning of 2015.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/us/politics/hate-crimes-american-muslims-rise.html
  14. 19 Jun '17 17:13
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Yeah, there's no slightly anti-muslim violence happening at all...

There's not buckets full of civilians dying due to Western bombing.

Oh, excuse me! Regular army attrocities shouldn't count...
    Aaaaaaaaaand here we go with the idiocy.

Yes, "regular" army attrocities shouldn't count.

And now I got the entire leftwing of RHP on my back, non of whom would ever dare to be critical of Islamic motivated attacks without going for the "yes, but what about the West??"

Jesus Christ monkeyballs. Ideologicism both left and right truly has a grip on vast numbers of people, stopping them from seeing and admitting to the ugly truth.
  15. 19 Jun '17 17:20 / 1 edit
    Most acts of terrorism in the west are equally isolated. Including the 'recent string' that you thought to differentiate as a 'string' merely because they occurred within a given time frame.