Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 03 May '13 18:39 / 1 edit
    I am going downtown to attend the vigil outside the NRA convention. And also will catch the Astros game across the street. A combination of civic duty at the convention center housing a meeting of a heinous organization, with later going to a top 5 awesome ballpark in the country on a beautiful day to watch the suffering Astros win one and beat Detroit.

Go to the link below to read the article and see a picture of a 13-yr old holding a HK 416 D at the NRA convention.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Protesters-have-their-sights-set-on-NRA-meeting-4483904.php
    Protesters set sights on NRA meeting in Houston

An alliance of gun-control groups and advocates is planning to press its case at the gun world's ground zero: The annual National Rifle Association meeting at the George R. Brown Convention Center in downtown Houston.

As 70,000-plus NRA members and convention attendees peruse displays of firearms, hunting apparel and gun paraphernalia, protesters organized by the Occupy the NRA movement will read the names of 4,000 victims of gun violence since last December's Newtown mass-shootings, in which 20 children and six adults died. The readings start early Friday in Discovery Green [a nice urban park, by the way] across from the convention center and will continue virtually non-stop through two days and nights until the meeting ends on Sunday.

Also Friday, the Houston chapter of Moms Demand Action will kick off what it terms a "Signatures for Shame'' event in front of the Memorial-area office of Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas. The group intends to gather signatures on two placards with photos of all the senators who voted to block a compromise background-check bill introduced by Sens. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and Pat Toomey, R-Penn.

On a conference call with reporters Thursday, gun-control activists said their goal is to reframe the powerful NRA as a front for the firearms industry.

"The NRA is a gun industry trade association masquerading as a sport shooting association,'' said Josh Sugarmann, founder and executive director of the Violence Policy Center, who is in Houston for the protests. "As gun ownership has dropped decade by decade, the NRA has been forced to turn to the gun industry to guarantee its future.''

Protesters aim to deflate the NRA's self image of hunters and sportsmen backed into defense of Second Amendment rights by aggressive opponents bent on taking their guns away.
  2. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    07 May '13 20:43
    yeah, 2 Americans die in a bombing and it's DEFCON 4.5, meanwhile rape murder and piliging go on in most of the rest of the world without so much as a mention.
    [yes, this is a bump. Don't like it? throw down your gun and I'll take you one hand behind my back you NRA losers]
  3. 07 May '13 21:18
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    yeah, 2 Americans die in a bombing and it's DEFCON 4.5, meanwhile rape murder and piliging go on in most of the rest of the world without so much as a mention.
    [yes, this is a bump. Don't like it? throw down your gun and I'll take you one hand behind my back you NRA losers]
    When and where?
  4. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    08 May '13 00:29
    Originally posted by normbenign
    When and where?
    See the address next to my avatar?

There.
    I realize it would cost you money to get here, but if you did make the trip I would put you up in a luxurious room right on the beach, all expenses paid, in the spirit of good sportsmanship.
  5. 08 May '13 01:01 / 1 edit
    See the address next to my avatar?

There.
    I realize it would cost you money to get here, but if you did make the trip I would put you up in a luxurious room right on the beach, all expenses paid, in the spirit of good sportsmanship.
    Afraid that the expense is out of the question. I would arrange a sanctioned match in an MMA dojo locally, with the rules you stipulated, with doctor and referee present of course, and I would go to the expense of renewing my NRA membership to qualify.

It is you that issued the challenge. I don't much like the beach, and enjoy as much luxury as I wish at home.
  6. 08 May '13 01:05
    RHP posters from around the world should meet up somewhere and have a good old thumb wrestling contest.
  7. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    08 May '13 21:33
    Afraid that the expense is out of the question. I would arrange a sanctioned match in an MMA dojo locally, with the rules you stipulated, with doctor and referee present of course, and I would go to the expense of renewing my NRA membership to qualify.

It is you that issued the challenge. I don't much like the beach, and enjoy as much luxury as I wish at home.
    doctor???

I'm 6' 2" and about 75kgs with a decent reach. We won't need a doctor whatever your size is. I'm not saying I'll put you down but you better get those anaerobic exercises happening if you want to make round three.
  8. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    08 May '13 21:34

It is unfortunate that you cant make it.
  9. 09 May '13 01:22
    doctor???

I'm 6' 2" and about 75kgs with a decent reach. We won't need a doctor whatever your size is. I'm not saying I'll put you down but you better get those anaerobic exercises happening if you want to make round three.
    Your build is about the same as mine when I was competing in distance running and track and field until my mid 50s. Sadly I carry another 50# and am closing in on 70 now.

I would have to join the NRA to qualify, and I much prefer the 2nd amendment foundation. I'm pretty certain I could scare up age and size appropriate NRA members locally to take up your challenge. I still think I could prevail with one hand tied behind your back.

I know you are really just jealous that you didn't have an NRA in Australia, when the government took all your firearms, or as many as they could. I imagine a few blokes from the outback would take up your challenge for a prize of a Foster's or two.
  10. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    09 May '13 02:08 / 1 edit
    Your build is about the same as mine when I was competing in distance running and track and field until my mid 50s. Sadly I carry another 50# and am closing in on 70 now.

I would have to join the NRA to qualify, and I much prefer the 2nd amendment foundation. I'm pretty certain I could scare up age and size appropriate NRA members locally to take up a few blokes from the outback would take up your challenge for a prize of a Foster's or two.
    Actually there is a firearms store right in my suburb. I'm sure there are sporting reasons that they can be obtained for.

Oh no man, I can't fight you at 70. I'm in my thirties. Unless your like a 70 year old Bruce Lee.

Those out back blokes would prolly kick me, but as long they drink beer and not Fosters I';ll be right
  11. 10 May '13 02:23
    Actually there is a firearms store right in my suburb. I'm sure there are sporting reasons that they can be obtained for.

Oh no man, I can't fight you at 70. I'm in my thirties. Unless your like a 70 year old Bruce Lee.

Those out back blokes would prolly kick me, but as long they drink beer and not Fosters I';ll be right
    A fellow I used to play chess with a few years back was my age, and held black belts in Aquido, Russian Sampo, and Brazilian jujitsu. He was also about 240# and not an ounce of body fat. The reality, I hope you recognize, was that I wanted to tone down the macho talk, to the realm of reality.

I am surprised that firearms are still sold in Australia. I saw pictures of 600,000 firearms being collected and destroyed, mostly it appeared in the pictures were longguns.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

The Snopes article shows both sides of the argument as to the efficacy of the gun collection.

What is your personal experience, as to the practical reality of owning a gun in Australia? For what purposes? With what restrictions?
  12. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    10 May '13 05:49
    A pro-gun vigil?
    Hahaha

I can just see the pick-up trucks and country listening trailer trash whooping and beating their wives.

"We own guns. We have a right to shoot any god damn alien that comes down and rapes our cows!"

Yup.
    "Let me introduce you to my wife and sister."
    And there's like one woman standing there...

I wish I could go!
  13. 10 May '13 06:15
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    A pro-gun vigil?
    Hahaha

I can just see the pick-up trucks and country listening trailer trash whooping and beating their wives.

"We own guns. We have a right to shoot any god damn alien that comes down and rapes our cows!"

Yup.
    "Let me introduce you to my wife and sister."
    And there's like one woman standing there...

I wish I could go!
    One woman standing there that used to be a man. LOL
  14. 10 May '13 18:11
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    A pro-gun vigil?
    It was actually a pro-reasonable gun control vigil outside the NRA convention in protest of the freak NRA.

What you describe was inside the building in the NRA convention .
  15. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    11 May '13 01:41
    A fellow I used to play chess with a few years back was my age, and held black belts in Aquido, Russian Sampo, and Brazilian jujitsu. He was also about 240# and not an ounce of body fat. The reality, I hope you recognize, was that I wanted to tone down the macho talk, to the realm of reality.

I am surprised that firearms are still sold in Australia. ...[text shortened]... the practical reality of owning a gun in Australia? For what purposes? With what restrictions?
    Mostly illegal in the burbs and cities, however the farmers usually have a rifle to protect their livestock.
    I could purchase one without too much trouble, I'm sure