Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 25 Dec '15 16:35
    All of them appropriate for this forum, some also for Spirituality.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/12/22/1353470/-21-Ayn-Rand-Christmas-Cards
  2. 25 Dec '15 17:25 / 1 edit
    #14 is too good to pass up:

http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/akadjian/media/Ayn%20Rand%20Christmas/ayn_rand_14_zps0609d3d1.jpg.html
  3. 26 Dec '15 01:10
    Originally posted by JS357
    All of them appropriate for this forum, some also for Spirituality.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/12/22/1353470/-21-Ayn-Rand-Christmas-Cards
    Ayn Rand had a knack for surgically sharp insights, which of course offended those who disagreed. If only more people had her attitude toward sacred cows.
  4. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    26 Dec '15 05:53
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Ayn Rand had a knack for surgically sharp insights, which of course offended those who disagreed. If only more people had her attitude toward sacred cows.
    No, she didn't.
  5. 26 Dec '15 09:23
    Ayn Rand had a knack for surgically sharp insights,.....
    I wouldn't call any of those cards 'surgically sharp insights'. They look more like promotions for selfishness and capitalism.
    The funny part being that the first one seems to contradict the rest ie no man has ever given a reason why man should be capitalist either, yet she seems to assume it throughout the rest of the cards.
  6. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    26 Dec '15 10:45
    Classic!!!
  7. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    26 Dec '15 12:27
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    #14 is too good to pass up:

http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/akadjian/media/Ayn%20Rand%20Christmas/ayn_rand_14_zps0609d3d1.jpg.html
    Surgically sharp insight?
  8. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    26 Dec '15 12:42
    Funniest quote of the season, sent on to all my family and provoking hoots of laughter.

Of course, #NotAllAmericans
  9. 26 Dec '15 13:41 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan
    For card #14 it certainly was.
  10. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    26 Dec '15 14:51
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    For card #14 it certainly was.
    She had a surgically sharp insight into the way you think for sure.
  11. 26 Dec '15 18:27 / 1 edit
    She had a surgically sharp insight into the way you think for sure.
    The genius of Rand was that she saw statism and/or religion as trying to address the same problems within society, which is freedom of choice that leads to injustice around the world. One can mix religion and statism as well. In fact, statism can be said to be a religion all its own devoid of the traditional notion of God. God is transformed into enlightened elitists who know are intelligent enough and educated enough to micromanage our freedom of choice in order to address the various injustices they may cause us.

Rand's position was simple. She just said, "Screw'em all, it's not my problem". Now how can I make more money off of them?
  12. 26 Dec '15 19:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    The genius of Rand was that she saw statism and/or religion as trying to address the same problems within society, which is freedom of choice that leads to injustice around the world. One can mix religion and statism as well. In fact, statism can be said to be a religion all its own devoid of the traditional notion of God. God is transformed into enlighten ...[text shortened]... She just said, "Screw'em all, it's not my problem". Now how can I make more money off of them?
    "Screw'em all, it's not my problem". Now how can I make more money off of them?"

Sounds like the driving principle of The Big Short.
  13. 26 Dec '15 22:14
    Originally posted by finnegan quoting Normbenign
    'Surgically sharp' (according to Normbenign) when performed with Stone Age tools.
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 Dec '15 23:34
    Funniest quote of the season, sent on to all my family and provoking hoots of laughter.

Of course, #NotAllAmericans
    Your family produces "hoots of laughter" based on what one random guy on the Internet said?

I'll bet entertaining them at Holiday time is really easy, huh?
  15. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    27 Dec '15 04:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I wouldn't call any of those cards 'surgically sharp insights'. They look more like promotions for selfishness and capitalism.
    The funny part being that the first one seems to contradict the rest ie no man has ever given a reason why man should be capitalist either, yet she seems to assume it throughout the rest of the cards.
    There is all sorts of bait dangling out there in message board land, troll bait, flame bait and what I'd call the leading post in this thread; Bluster Bait. And you're the first blusterer, of course followed by the usual suspects Finnegan, shavmeister et al.

Ayn Rand championed the power of 'reason' and the necessity of 'reason' she would never ask a person to believe something on a whim or hearsay. If you want the reason for capitalism read "Atlas Shrugged" . You may not agree with the reasons but you would could no longer honestly state that no reason has been given why a man should be a capitalist.

And you would no longer appear as a witless blusterer.