Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 15 Mar '14 11:27
    http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/03/09/greeley-barber-shop-refusing-customers-that-smell-like-pot/

    A barber in Greeley Colorado is refusing to take customers who reek of pot. Apparently, he had been losing customers who complained of other customers who reeked of marijuana, so he banned them from the place of business.

    Is this Constitutional?
  2. 15 Mar '14 14:09
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/03/09/greeley-barber-shop-refusing-customers-that-smell-like-pot/

    A barber in Greeley Colorado is refusing to take customers who reek of pot. Apparently, he had been losing customers who complained of other customers who reeked of marijuana, so he banned them from the place of business.

    Is this Constitutional?
    yes. you can refuse service for reasons within the individual's control.


    you can refuse service to a pothead until he takes a freakin shower.
    you CANNOT refuse service to a lesbian asking for a wedding cake.
  3. 15 Mar '14 14:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/03/09/greeley-barber-shop-refusing-customers-that-smell-like-pot/

    A barber in Greeley Colorado is refusing to take customers who reek of pot. Apparently, he had been losing customers who complained of other customers who reeked of marijuana, so he banned them from the place of business.

    Is this Constitutional?
    what is your motive for posting this? restaurants have been refusing service to badly dressed individuals for ages now. shops may refuse to service drunks.
    nothing new.


    so what do you really want to ask?
  4. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    15 Mar '14 15:27
    It's an out for homophobic/religo-zealot cake makers. Tell the lesbian no wedding cake because you don't like the way she smells. Problem solved!
  5. 15 Mar '14 15:30 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    yes. you can refuse service for reasons within the individual's control.


    you can refuse service to a pothead until he takes a freakin shower.
    you CANNOT refuse service to a lesbian asking for a wedding cake.
    Your premise is once again fatally flawed, there is not a shred of empirical scientific evidence that lesbianism is immutable, which essentially means that yes, the practice is within the individuals control making the allusion to 'self control' self incriminating. We are free moral agents responsible for our own actions and no amount of pseudo scientific claims on the basis of scantily clad materialism can negate the fact. Furthermore I suspect its illegal to compel someone to act against their religious convictions for the sake of another's sexual preferences. If you are going to allow freedom of conscience then you must allow freedom to discriminate, regardless of whether you find it tasteful or otherwise.
  6. 15 Mar '14 15:47
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    yes. you can refuse service for reasons within the individual's control.


    you can refuse service to a pothead until he takes a freakin shower.
    you CANNOT refuse service to a lesbian asking for a wedding cake.
    I think we should respect someone's profoundly held belief to abstain from frosting.
  7. 15 Mar '14 16:21 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Your premise is once again fatally flawed, there is not a shred of empirical scientific evidence that lesbianism is immutable, which essentially means that yes, the practice is within the individuals control making the allusion to 'self control' self incriminating. We are free moral agents responsible for our own actions and no amount of pseudo scien ...[text shortened]... you must allow freedom to discriminate, regardless of whether you find it tasteful or otherwise.
    You can choose to be gay? You could decide right now to be gay for one day, to go out and look at other men and be turned on by their muscular appearance and even getting an erection when one of them takes off his shirt? While simultaneously looking at a gorgeous young woman with perfect breasts as she is slowly taking her clothes of would do absolutely nothing for you during that day?

    You can choose to do so?
  8. 15 Mar '14 17:28
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    You can choose to be gay? You could decide right now to be gay for one day, to go out and look at other men and be turned on by their muscular appearance and even getting an erection when one of them takes off his shirt? While simultaneously looking at a gorgeous young woman with perfect breasts as she is slowly taking her clothes of would do absolutely nothing for you during that day?

    You can choose to do so?
    You choose to act as you wish. You don't need to have sex.
  9. 15 Mar '14 17:41
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You choose to act as you wish. You don't need to have sex.
    This is true, but it's not an answer to my question. Would you care to answer the actual question that I asked to Robbie?
  10. 15 Mar '14 17:48
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    This is true, but it's not an answer to my question. Would you care to answer the actual question that I asked to Robbie?
    It is why your question is not important.
  11. 15 Mar '14 17:56
    So you don't want to answer the question. Chicken. Fair enough, I asked RC, not you.
  12. 15 Mar '14 21:41
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I think we should respect someone's profoundly held belief to abstain from frosting.
    awesome, i wouldn't dream of denying someone from exercising his right to abstain from frosting.

    let him then abstain from opening a business if he won't provide equal service.
  13. 15 Mar '14 22:44 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    You can choose to be gay? You could decide right now to be gay for one day, to go out and look at other men and be turned on by their muscular appearance and even getting an erection when one of them takes off his shirt? While simultaneously looking at a gorgeous young woman with perfect breasts as she is slowly taking her clothes of would do absolutely nothing for you during that day?

    You can choose to do so?
    In this regard i am much closer to the existentialist perspective which states that as we are capable of both heterosexual and homosexual acts we are in essence neither. Therefore to answer your question, yes you can choose to be gay in exactly the same way as you can choose to be celibate, or bi sexual or anything else.
  14. 15 Mar '14 23:19
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    In this regard i am much closer to the existentialist perspective which states that as we are capable of both heterosexual and homosexual acts we are in essence neither. Therefore to answer your question, yes you can choose to be gay in exactly the same way as you can choose to be celibate, or bi sexual or anything else.
    Do you think that being sexually aroused (getting an erection for instance) is a choice?
  15. 15 Mar '14 23:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    In this regard i am much closer to the existentialist perspective which states that as we are capable of both heterosexual and homosexual acts we are in essence neither. Therefore to answer your question, yes you can choose to be gay in exactly the same way as you can choose to be celibate, or bi sexual or anything else.
    you don't fukin choose to be gay, you can just choose to not have sex with a same gender person. that won't change who you are, it will simply make you miserable.



    you simply are a messed up cookie that thinks the supreme being cares who you boink.