Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 09 Jan '15 23:09
    If you knew that a barrel of apples contained poisoned apples that could not be distinguished from the other apples, would you eat an apple from the barrel?
  2. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    09 Jan '15 23:12
    No, which leaves me wondering why I bothered to look at this thread.
  3. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    09 Jan '15 23:13
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I only looked because I noticed your name.
  4. 09 Jan '15 23:31 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought to Eladar
    I suspect that Eladar's attempting to insinuate a bigoted argument like this:
    All Muslims appear alike, at least to most Westerners, whose perceptions are
    the only ones that matter. Therefore, all Muslims must be treated alike.
    Given that most Westerners cannot take the trouble (such as through
    educating themselves) to distinguish 'moderate Muslims' from 'Muslim terrorists',
    all Muslims must be treated *preemptively* as if they were 'terrorists'.
    Eladar's way of 'thinking' about Muslims is far from original.

"The only good Indian is a dead Indian."
    --popular saying by white Americans

By the way, even the Nazis granted special consideration for some Jewish
    individuals of exceptional distinction or merit (who then were 'Aryanized' ).
    Hitler himself was quite fond of an Austrian princess (by marriage), and he
    disliked having other Nazis remind him that she was half-Jewish by ancestry.
  5. 10 Jan '15 01:40 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    educating themselves) to distinguish 'moderate Muslims' ...[text shortened]... marriage), and he
    ""The only good Indian is a dead Indian."
    --popular saying by white Americans "

Yes, some white Americans maybe now, and especially back then (A variant is attributed to General Philip Sheridan, 1869).

Not popular among any people I know.

I marvel at the similarities between the bigotry you rightly criticize and the little bit of the same thing that crept in to your criticism. It's not you; it's being human.

Please. Spare me the withering, skin blistering analysis of the ignorant white American male that is JS357. Unless you think you can top yourself.
  6. 10 Jan '15 01:41
    educating themselves) to distinguish 'moderate Muslims' ...[text shortened]... marriage), and he
    I suspect that Eladar may have alluded to the practice that all humans use, of profiling, as an efficient and inexpensive way of separating themselves from danger.
  7. 10 Jan '15 01:48
    Originally posted by JS357
    ""The only good Indian is a dead Indian."
    --popular saying by white Americans "

Yes, some white Americans maybe now, and especially back then (A variant is attributed to General Philip Sheridan, 1869).

Not popular among any people I know.

I marvel at the similarities between the bigotry you rightly criticize and the little bit of the same thing that ...[text shortened]... alysis of the ignorant white American male that is JS357. Unless you think you can top yourself.
    At the time and place even General Sheridan's comment wasn't racist. It was largely true, especially in territories where Indians and Americans were in conflict. Probably, Indians had similar sentiments about white men, however due to a lack of written language few of their quips are preserved for us.

Such broad generalizations helped to keep people safe.
  8. 10 Jan '15 02:16
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If you knew that a barrel of apples contained poisoned apples that could not be distinguished from the other apples, would you eat an apple from the barrel?
    apples are not people, you inconsiderate douchebag
  9. 10 Jan '15 02:43
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    apples are not people, you inconsiderate douchebag
    The people killed by terrorists are people too you moron.
  10. 10 Jan '15 02:44
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I take it that you wouldn't let the Muslims into your country because you can't tell the difference between the good Muslims and the bad.

You let them in, you let in the problems that created the problems in their country to begin with.
  11. 10 Jan '15 07:54
    Actually, I agree with Eladar that we should not eat Muslims.
  12. 10 Jan '15 15:57
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Actually, I agree with Eladar that we should not eat Muslims.
    Yes, why go to all the trouble of slitting their throats and hanging them upside down to drain their blood .
  13. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    10 Jan '15 16:22
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Yes, why go to all the trouble of slitting their throats and hanging them upside down to drain their blood .
    I am in favour of a Duck shoot.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    10 Jan '15 16:23
    Originally posted by normbenign
    At the time and place even General Sheridan's comment wasn't racist. It was largely true, especially in territories where Indians and Americans were in conflict. Probably, Indians had similar sentiments about white men, however due to a lack of written language few of their quips are preserved for us.

Such broad generalizations helped to keep people safe.
    This is sickening BS. The professed policy of the US government at the time Sheridan supposedly made this statement (he denied saying anything like it) was not the extermination of the Indian tribes. Such sentiments would have had no proper place among a territorial administrator and wouldn't have made anyone "safer".
  15. 10 Jan '15 17:10
    Originally posted by phil3000
    I think they prefer us to simply cut the head off completely.

Of course your reference was a joke, mine is actual truth.