Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 12:30
    The phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is often false. There are objective features that make someone beautiful. Features that communicate health or vitality are objective measures of beauty.

For example, white teeth are more beautiful than yellow ones. That's because white teeth are objectively healthier than yellow teeth.

A flat stomach is more attractive than one with rolls or one that's protruding; that's because a flat stomach doesn't have the excess fat around that most health experts agree negatively impact health.

Body builders are often more attractive than flabby, overweight or scrawny men, because they are (usually) objectively healthier than most other men. This is because being a bodybuilders opt for healthier food choices than most men, and exercise more often too.

Women with clear, smooth skin are usually more attractive than women with dry, wrinkled or pimpled skin; that's because healthier skin (and healthier women) are more likely to have clear and smooth skin. For example, a consequence of smoking is dry, discolored skin. We all know that smoking negatively impacts health.

Beauty usually indicates vitality, youth and health, all of which are objective factors.

Of course, there are preferences; some women may prefer thicker men while others may prefer thinner men; same with men's preferences for women. People may prefer some skin tones over others, as well as eye colors, hair color, heights, etc. But preferences are usually still in line with other objective measures of beauty. For example whether you prefer thinner or more voluptuous women, darker or lighter-skinned women, the ones with healthy skin, toned bodies and white teeth are still considered objectively more beautiful than women of the same body type with yellow smiles, blotchy skin or flabby stomachs. Same for preferences for men.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 13:54
    Originally posted by @vivify
    The phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is often false. There are objective features that make someone beautiful. Features that communicate health or vitality are objective measures of beauty.

For example, white teeth are more beautiful than yellow ones. That's because white teeth are objectively healthier than yellow teeth.

A flat stom ...[text shortened]... me body type with yellow smiles, blotchy skin or flabby stomachs. Same for preferences for men.
    Those are valid factors you listed, but the main factor is average characteristics. Beauty is average.
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 16:06

A flat stom ...[text shortened]... me body type with yellow smiles, blotchy skin or flabby stomachs. Same for preferences for men.
    There are some features that are inherently more attractive than others, based on our genes. There are also features which our brains are conditioned to like more over our lives but a certain amount is built in to us.
  4. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 18:01

Another term often used to describe beauty is symmetry.

People that have good facial symmetry tend to be more beautiful.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 18:24
    This is for the 3 morons that gave me thumbs down for telling the truth they don't want to accept.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/oct/18/why-we-find-average-faces-most-attractive
  6. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 18:34
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    This is for the 3 morons that gave me thumbs down for telling the truth they don't want to accept.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/oct/18/why-we-find-average-faces-most-attractive
    Insidious troll and shameless liar Metal-Brain dishonestly claims his comment got 3 thumbs down when it is 4 thumbs down.
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 18:58
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Insidious troll and shameless liar Metal-Brain dishonestly claims his comment got 3 thumbs down when it is 4 thumbs down.
    That's 5. Get your facts straight !! 😀
  8. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 19:10
    Originally posted by @mghrn55
    That's 5. Get your facts straight !! 😀
    baahahhahahaaa
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 19:59
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    Those are valid factors you listed, but the main factor is average characteristics. Beauty is average.
    Also is a non-threatening look. And a symmetrical face.
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 21:23

Some people apparently believe that some ethnic groups are intrinsically more
    beautiful or physically attractive on average than other ethnic groups.

Is that belief the result of cultural prejudice? Can there be any 'objective' basis for it?
  11. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 21:26
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Some people apparently believe that some ethnic groups are intrinsically more
    beautiful or physically attractive on average than other ethnic groups.

Is that belief the result of cultural prejudice? Can there be any 'objective' basis for it?
    Am I racist if I think Colombian women in general are the most attractive? Because they are. Sorry. Just a fact.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 21:27
    Am I racist if I think Colombian women in general are the most attractive? Because they are. Sorry. Just a fact.
    I referred to 'cultural prejudice' (my words), not racism.
    Tom Wolsey has given no objective reason to support his belief.
  13. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 21:30
    I referred to 'cultural prejudice' (my words), not racism.
    Tom Wolsey has given no objective reason to support his belief.
    Am I culturally prejudice if I think Colombian women are generally the most attractive? There. Fixed. And since it's my opinion, objective proof is not required. 😛
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 21:402 edits
    Am I culturally prejudice if [b]I think Colombian women are generally the most attractive? There. Fixed. And since it's my opinion, objective proof is not required. 😛[/b]
    "Because they are. Sorry. Just a FACT."
    --Tom Wolsey (page 1, post 11)

"And since it's my OPINION, objective proof is not required."
    --Tom Wolsey (page 1, post 13)

Tom Wolsey shows poor reading comprehension or is disingenuous about what he wrote.
    Tom Wolsey shows that he cannot distinguish between a FACT and his OPINION.
  15. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 21:471 edit
    "Because they are. Sorry. Just a FACT."
    --Tom Wolsey (page 1, post 11)

"And since it's my OPINION, objective proof is not required."
    --Tom Wolsey (page 1, post 13)

Tom Wolsey shows poor reading comprehension or is disingenuous about what he wrote.
    Tom Wolsey shows that he cannot distinguish between a FACT and his OPINION.
    Neither poor reading comprehension nor a misunderstanding of the terms is at hand here. I stated my opinion which does not require objective evidence. I then stated that it is a fact that I have that opinion. 😛 I feel like you are abusing me. 😳