Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 27 Jun '10 16:24
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10427935.stm

Pope Benedict has joined mounting Vatican criticism of raids by Belgian police investigating alleged child sex abuse, calling them "deplorable".

In a message to Belgian bishops, the pope expressed his solidarity "in this moment of sadness".

Several buildings were searched in raids targeting a retired archbishop and the graves of two prelates.
    Prosecutors said the action concerned alleged "abuse of minors committed by a certain number of Church figures".
    Police in Leuven, central Belgium, on Thursday seized nearly 500 files and a computer from the offices of a Church commission investigating allegations of sex abuse.

They also searched the Church's headquarters and the Brussels archdiocese in Mechelen, north of the Belgian capital.
    Belgium's bishops, who were holding a meeting at the time of the raids, were kept incommunicado for nine hours while the searches were conducted

[i]Pope Benedict's criticism of the raids came in a message of support to Brussels Archbishop, Andre Joseph Leonard, the head of the Belgian bishops' conference.

"I want to express, dear brother in the Episcopate, as well as to all the Bishops of Belgium, my closeness and solidarity in this moment of sadness, in which, with certain surprising and deplorable methods, searches were carried out."
    "I hope that justice will follow its course while guaranteeing the rights of individuals and institutions, respecting the rights of victims, (and) acknowledging those who undertake to collaborate with it," Pope Benedict said.

On Saturday Vatican officials compared the raids and investigation into allegations of child sex abuse with the treatment of the Church under communist rule.
    Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, the Vatican Secretary of State, described the detention of priests "serious and unbelievable".

"There are no precedents, not even under the old communist regimes," he said.

is the belgian police correct in acting in such way? Is the pope's criticism valid?
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 Jun '10 16:33
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    is the belgian police correct in acting in such way? Is the pope's criticism valid?
    Yes. No.
  3. 27 Jun '10 16:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. No.
    can you elaborate?
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 Jun '10 16:39
    can you elaborate?
    Yes, the Belgian police are correct in acting in such a way. No, the Pope's criticism is not valid.
  5. 27 Jun '10 16:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes, the Belgian police are correct in acting in such a way. No, the Pope's criticism is not valid.
    I agree on this.
  6. 27 Jun '10 16:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    well, this is by far one of the most coherent posts I've ever seen from you.

congratulations.

PS- and this time you didn't even have any personal attacks or irrelevant drivel, its real achievement.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    27 Jun '10 16:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    Holding non-suspects incommunicado for nine hours is "correct"?
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 Jun '10 16:46 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Holding non-suspects incommunicado for nine hours is "correct"?
    I am unconcerned. The whole issue with the Catholic church has been conspiracy and institutionalized cover ups. Being "incommunicado" is OK.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 Jun '10 16:49
    ...this time you didn't even have any personal attacks or irrelevant drivel, its real achievement.
    You're going to hijack your own thread? Wow.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    27 Jun '10 16:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am unconcerned. The whole issue with the Catholic church has been conspiracy and institutionalized cover ups. Being "incommunicado" is OK.
    Ridiculous. Just being Church officials doesn't mean they forfeit their Natural Rights. I am concerned when anybody's rights are violated; I don't pick and chose on ideological grounds.

Opening tombs of bishops who have been dead for decades is "correct"? http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/belgian-raids-on-tombs-church-stir-vatican-outrage/19531944
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 Jun '10 16:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Ridiculous. Just being Church officials doesn't mean they forfeit their Natural Rights.
    As I said, I am unconcerned. If people who have not sexually abused children - or did not cover it up - go to gaol I will be concerned.
  12. 27 Jun '10 16:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    oh well, I guess that means the belgian police should be free to do whatever they want to do regardless of whether its reasonable or not.

I am unconcerned

had this happened to say, muslims Im pretty sure you'd be the first to protest.

The whole issue with the Catholic church has been conspiracy and institutionalized cover ups

no kidding. but nevertheless, does that justify the police's treatment of those innocent individuals?
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 Jun '10 16:53
    does that justify the police's treatment of those innocent individuals?
    I am unconcerned by it.
  14. 27 Jun '10 16:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    You're going to hijack your own thread? Wow.
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

but hey, don't disappoint me, I thought you had abandoned your trolling ways.
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 Jun '10 16:55
    oh well, I guess that means the belgian police should be free to do whatever they want to do regardless of whether its reasonable or not.
    That's not what I said. I didn't say that the Belgian police are free to do whatever they want. I said that I approve of what they have done and I reckon it's reasonable.