Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 May '16 01:182 edits
    http://www.politicususa.com/2016/05/22/bernie-sanders-drops-biggest-hint-open-hillary-clintons-vp.html

Bernie Sanders dropped a strong hint that he was open to being Hillary Clinton’s running mate during an interview on ABC’s This Week.

Transcript via ABC’s This Week:

STEPHANOPOULOS: If you don’t, sir, and this is my final question, you open to being considered as Secretary Clinton’s running mate?

SANDERS: It’s a little bit early to talk about that. Right now, our function is to do everything I can, George — and you’re going to see me running all over California, we’re in New Mexico now — we’re going to everything that we can to get every vote and every delegate that we can and go into that convention with as much momentum as is possible.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Didn’t hear a no. Senator, we’ll be talking to you soon. Take care.

Stephanopoulos was correct. There was not a no in his answer. Sen. Sanders wants to influence and shape the future of the Democratic Party. One of his replies in the This Week interview laid out the important issues that he felt needed to be discussed within the Democratic platform. Sanders is still fighting for the Democratic nomination because he wants to be a leader within the party.

Bernie Sanders has never given any indication that his differences with Hillary Clinton are personal, or he would turn down the VP slot if offered to him. The strength of the argument for Bernie Sanders as Clinton’s running mate depends on whether or not one believes in the depth of the division within the Democratic Party.

One thing is clear. Bernie Sanders would bring Independents and lock down younger voters for Hillary Clinton. Sanders also attacks Donald Trump with a zeal and conviction that would throw the Republican off of his game for the entire fall. The downsides to Sanders are his age, and he does have some policy differences with Clinton.

Bernie Sanders would be an outside of the box, out the mainstream choice for a running mate, which might be exactly what the conventional Clinton campaign needs for November. Hillary Clinton could do a whole lot worse for herself than putting Bernie Sanders on the ticket.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 May '16 01:202 edits
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/19/politics/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-vice-president/

Clinton doesn't rule out Sanders as VP pick

Washington (CNN)Hillary Clinton didn't rule out Wednesday picking her Democratic presidential primary challenger, Bernie Sanders, from serving as her vice president.

"I won't get into that," she told CNN's Chris Cuomo in an exclusive interview, when asked if giving Sanders a spot on the ticket would help bring the party together.
    She also declined to answer if Sanders was in consideration for the No. 2 slot.

Clinton, who is leading the increasingly divisive Democratic contest, didn't completely shutdown the possibility of Sanders as her running mate, saying, "That's something down the road."
  3. Standard memberBongalloJoe
    Not Gone Yet
    STALKER ALERT!!
    Moves
    23 May '16 01:22
    Originally posted by vivify
    http://www.politicususa.com/2016/05/22/bernie-sanders-drops-biggest-hint-open-hillary-clintons-vp.html

Bernie Sanders dropped a strong hint that he was open to being Hillary Clinton’s running mate during an interview on ABC’s This Week.

STEPHANOPOULOS: If you don’t, sir, and this is my final question, you open to being ...[text shortened]... illary Clinton could do a whole lot worse for herself than putting Bernie Sanders on the ticket.
    Outside of the box - as in needs a map to find it?

😉 😉 😉
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    23 May '16 14:14

STEPHANOPOULOS: If you don’t, sir, and this is my final question, you open to being ...[text shortened]... illary Clinton could do a whole lot worse for herself than putting Bernie Sanders on the ticket.
    VP is a useless post. I'd rather see Bernie stay in the Senate; it's likely control of that body will come down to a seat or two so why should the Dems risk Vermont's?
  5. Germany
    Moves
    23 May '16 14:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    VP is a useless post. I'd rather see Bernie stay in the Senate; it's likely control of that body will come down to a seat or two so why should the Dems risk Vermont's?
    Well, it is the United States after all, it's not beyond the realm of possibilities that Clinton will see an unfortunate early end.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 May '16 15:271 edit
    Do you think there would be a chance that Vermont would elect a Republican Senator to replace Sanders in a presidential election year with Sanders on the ticket as VP? Surely that would be among the greatest political upsets in the last 100 years.
  7. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    23 May '16 15:511 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Do you think there would be a chance that Vermont would elect a Republican Senator to replace Sanders in a presidential election year with Sanders on the ticket as VP? Surely that would be among the greatest political upsets in the last 100 years.
    As big as Massachusetts electing a Republican to replace Ted Kennedy?

Leahy and Bernie are very popular there, but the 2014 Governor's race went 46 per cent to 45 percent. A Republican would be an underdog but it would hardly be as shocking as you think for one to win.
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    23 May '16 15:52

These 2 candidates are both old and have some health problems definitely Hillary does.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 May '16 22:491 edit

Leahy and Bernie are very popular there, but the 2014 Governor's race went 46 per cent to 45 percent. A Republican would be an underdog but it would hardly be as shocking as you think for one to win.
    Scott Brown was a middle of a term special election (i.e.., very low turnout) at an extremely anti-Obama point in time.

Here, you'd have the coattails of a Dem presidential ticket with Sanders on it in a high turnout election.

I'd give you 20-1 odds on that.
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    23 May '16 23:241 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Scott Brown was a middle of a term special election (i.e.., very low turnout) at an extremely anti-Obama point in time.

Here, you'd have the coattails of a Dem presidential ticket with Sanders on it in a high turnout election.

I'd give you 20-1 odds on that.
    It's moot because I'm fairly certain that Bernie wouldn't take the VP slot even if asked but I'd take that bet at those ridiculous odds. In 2008, Republican Jim Douglas won the Vermont governor's race even though Obama carried Vermont by a wide margin.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont_gubernatorial_election,_2008 Ticket splitting isn't uncommon in Vermont. Douglas is only 64 and could run for the Senate seat.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Douglas

BTW Patrick Leahy is the ONLY person running on the Democratic line to ever be elected Senator from Vermont.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    24 May '16 16:39

Agreed! Massachusetts and Vermont are really quite purple.