Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 07 Nov '17 03:28
    http://www.newsweek.com/father-kills-14-year-old-son-he-would-rather-have-dead-son-gay-son-703282

"FATHER KILLS 14-YEAR-OLD SON: 'HE WOULD RATHER HAVE A DEAD SON THAN A GAY SON'"

"A Nevada father shot and killed his 14-year-old son because he couldn’t
    accept his son's sexual orientation, according to the son's former foster mom."

"(Sonja) Jones said other family members told her the argument that led
    to Giovanni's death was over Giovanni’s sexual orientation.
    She said Wendell (Melton) had threatened Giovanni before.
    "He hated the fact that his son was gay," Jones said. "I'm sure that inside
    of his mind, he would rather have a dead son than a gay son.""

""We have a crisis of masculinity in this country—it's obvious across the
    board in this report and in the unrelenting reports on sexual assault and
    also gun violence," (Jaime) Grant said in a statement provided to NBC News.
    "Many 'normative' messages men learn as they are growing up about stuffing their
    feelings, policing other men's gender and sexuality, asserting 'dominance'
    from the boardroom to the bedroom, also show up in their lives as fathers.""
  2. 07 Nov '17 03:46
    ""We have a crisis of masculinity in this country—
    This is true.
  3. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    07 Nov '17 09:00 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    http://www.newsweek.com/father-kills-14-year-old-son-he-would-rather-have-dead-son-gay-son-703282

"FATHER KILLS 14-YEAR-OLD SON: 'HE WOULD RATHER HAVE A DEAD SON THAN A GAY SON'"

"(Sonja) Jones ...[text shortened]... rting 'dominance'
    And once again, in the wonderful world of Duchess, the white man is the villain, and everyone else is the victim.
  4. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    07 Nov '17 09:33
    Originally posted by @mchill
    And once again, in the wonderful world of Duchess, the white man is the villain, and everyone else is the victim.
    Don’t know about that, but in his case there’s a definive victim and clear cut villain.
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    07 Nov '17 12:30
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Don’t know about that, but in his case there’s a definive victim and clear cut villain.
    You think?
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Nov '17 14:21
    In this case, the white man was the villain and the OP made no reference to his being white.

I'm not sure the sweeping conclusions of the article are justified, but it's not an unreasonable subject to bring up in a debates forum.
  7. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    07 Nov '17 17:40 / 2 edits

"(Sonja) Jones ...[text shortened]... rting 'dominance'
    Americans always seem to injure and kill those close to them. Moreso than other states . Why ? I think because the U.S. Has the right mix of sense of entitlement , disillusionment , ignorance and narcissism . Heck just read some posts.

Unbelievable these guys come here week after week spewing veiled hate all the while assuming they are always right to do so.

It's sickening that somehow they always manage to spin in way of lettin others know that their crap don't stink.
    Like Trump they are of no help. They are part of the problem but they are in denial about that ._
  8. 07 Nov '17 19:15
    Originally posted by @sh76 to Mchlll
    In this case, the white man was the villain and the OP made no reference to his being white.

I'm not sure the sweeping conclusions of the article are justified, but it's not an unreasonable subject to bring up in a debates forum.
    Mchill's a lying racist troll with a long record of hurling insults and lies to attack me personally.

In this case, I did *not* even bother to look up the 'race(s)' of the alleged murderer and his victim.
    I don't regard 'race' as relevant here. Homophobia exists far beyond white Americans.
  9. 07 Nov '17 20:42 / 1 edit
    Mchill's a lying racist troll...
    Pathological lying racist troll?
  10. 07 Nov '17 21:36

"(Sonja) Jone ...[text shortened]... rting 'dominance'
    How sad. Certain parts of America have serious issues...

I for one had it pretty easy. At around age 16, my mother noticed the fact that I never once had expressed any interest in women(Unusual). So she kept asking me, "Do you like girls? Do you like girls? When are you going to get a girlfriend?" Finally, she asked one more time "Do you like girls?" at some later stage and I bluntly said, "No, are you happy now?". She burst into tears for like 3 hours and she was super awkward for 3 months or so then she got over it.

My dad didn't find out for sure until a few years later, but I knew that he knew all along since it's pretty obvious with me. I'm not particularly stereotypical but not that "straight passing" either, so he was just waiting for me to tell him. It wasn't that it was a problem for him to know, it was just an awkward conversation to have, and it would have been kind of random to bring it up out of nowhere since he never brought up anything about liking anyone so as not to put pressure on me. Eventually, I just sent him a text and his response was "FINALLY! I have felt so left out all these years..." So I guess I was rather lucky. Pretty good reactions all around.

This is just a reminder it's not so great for everyone. Not that the lead up to telling anyone wasn't totally horrid, just the actual moment it came to a head was as good as I could have hoped for.
  11. 07 Nov '17 21:38
    I didn't see any reference to white men in Duchess's post. That would be kind of missing the point, don't you think?
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    07 Nov '17 23:57
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka

I for one had it pretty easy. At around age 16, my mother noticed the fact that I never once had expressed any interest in women(Unusual). So she kept asking me, "Do you like girls? Do you like girls? When are you going to get a girlfriend?" Finally, she asked one more time "Do you like girls?" ...[text shortened]... totally horrid, just the actual moment it came to a head was as good as I could have hoped for.
    Apparently you're not from those parts of Africa that make homosexuality a death penalty offense.

YouTube : Trevor Noah Zambia

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/11/14/senegala-s-criminalizationofhomosexualitypartofaregionaltrend.html
  13. 08 Nov '17 02:16
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung to Ash
    Apparently you're not from those parts of Africa that make homosexuality a death penalty offense.

[youtube Trevor Noah Zambia]n7GxnhQjBaw[/youtube]

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/11/14/senegala-s-criminalizationofhomosexualitypartofaregionaltrend.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_South_Africa

"South Africa's post-apartheid constitution was the first in the world to outlaw discrimination
    based on sexual orientation, and South Africa was the fifth country in the world, and the
    first—and, to date, only—in Africa, to legalise same-sex marriage."

"evertheless, LGBT South Africans, particularly those outside of the major cities, continue to face some
    challenges, including homophobic violence (particularly corrective rape), and high rates of HIV/AIDS infection."
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    08 Nov '17 02:30
    We don't tend to shoot homos here in Cali either.
  15. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    08 Nov '17 09:03
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka

I for one had it pretty easy. At around age 16, my mother noticed the fact that I never once had expressed any interest in women(Unusual). So she kept asking me, "Do you like girls? Do you like girls? When are you going to get a girlfriend?" Finally, she asked one more time "Do you like girls?" ...[text shortened]... totally horrid, just the actual moment it came to a head was as good as I could have hoped for.
    Overall, you were lucky. I've heard some horror stories of people being completely disowned by their families.