Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '19 07:59
    @kazetnagorra said
    Maybe you should look up what desegregation busing is.
    I did. How did busing give blacks school choice?
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    24 Jun '19 19:541 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/19/joe-biden-segregationist-senators-criticism

"Biden clashes with 2020 rivals over his work with segregationist senators
    Former vice-president defies calls for apology after highlighting his relationships
    with lawmakers known for racist views"

"I do not buy the concept, popular in the 60s, which said: ‘We have suppressed the
    black man for 300 years and the white man is now far ahead. In order to even the score,
    we must now give the black man a head start, or even hold the white man back.'
    I don’t buy that.”
    --Joe Biden (1975)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/23/biden-segregationist-comments-booker-sanders

"Booker: Biden’s segregationist remarks show ‘a terrible lack of understanding"

"Joe [Biden] owes the country an apology … and that it is one thing to work with people
    in the Senate as you have to do, as every senator does, I do, with people who have
    fundamental disagreements with. That’s one thing. You do that. That’s your job.
    But it’s another thing to kind of extol those relationships. You cannot be extolling people who
    really were part of a disgusting system that oppressed and terrorised millions of African Americans."
    --Bernie Sanders (criticizing Joe Biden)
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '19 11:33
    Now that it came up in the debates, how much will this damage Biden's poll numbers?
  4. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    30 Jun '19 18:38
    @no1marauder said
    A) That assumes an infinite amount of space in each school; how would you deal with a school have classrooms designed for 500 students getting 10,000 students wanting to attend?;
    This is a question that liberals in favor of free college will have to deal with. That is, Space to cram everyone between 18 and 22 years old in this country into colleges. What big ideas have the liberals.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    30 Jun '19 19:15
    @averagejoe1 said
    This is a question that liberals in favor of free college will have to deal with. That is, Space to cram everyone between 18 and 22 years old in this country into colleges. What big ideas have the liberals.
    This may come as a shock to you, but you do realize that tuition-free tertiary education isn't exactly a new and revolutionary idea, right?
  6. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    01 Jul '19 15:25
    @kazetnagorra said
    This may come as a shock to you, but you do realize that tuition-free tertiary education isn't exactly a new and revolutionary idea, right?
    I know, but the post has to do with how many classrooms have to be up and running to handle the huge increase of students who will be crammed in. And I worry about the quality of education as well.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    01 Jul '19 15:45
    @averagejoe1 said
    I know, but the post has to do with how many classrooms have to be up and running to handle the huge increase of students who will be crammed in. And I worry about the quality of education as well.
    Plenty of tuition-free education systems that provide superior quality compared to the American system.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 08:01
    @metal-brain said
    I did. How did busing give blacks school choice?
    He was saying that busing took away school choice for those being bussed.

Again, you entirely missed, and then misrepresented, his point.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 12:321 edit
    @suzianne said
    He was saying that busing took away school choice for those being bussed.

Again, you entirely missed, and then misrepresented, his point.
    From white kids, not black kids. You missed the point. Biden supported a racist policy of segregation.
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 12:46
    @metal-brain said
    From white kids, not black kids. You missed the point. Biden supported a racist policy of segregation.
    Joe Biden opposed a proposed method of desegregation.
    His position may be subject to interpretation.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 13:06
    @duchess64 said
    Joe Biden opposed a proposed method of desegregation.
    His position may be subject to interpretation.
    In other words, he supported segregation.