Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    11 Jun '18 15:191 edit
    https://www.rt.com/usa/429284-bill-maher-recession-trump/

    Bill Maher wants people to suffer so they will blame Trump and want to vote against him.

    Do you feel the same?
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    55451
    11 Jun '18 15:39
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://www.rt.com/usa/429284-bill-maher-recession-trump/

    Bill Maher wants people to suffer so they will blame Trump and want to vote against him.

    Do you feel the same?
    I don't feel the same. But I do believe that there are a lot of people who view politics in the same manner as sports fans view tanking for draft picks -- losses now for gains later.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    11 Jun '18 15:451 edit
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    I don't feel the same. But I do believe that there are a lot of people who view politics in the same manner as sports fans view tanking for draft picks -- losses now for gains later.
    With the number of hateful posters on this site, I would gather most agree, even though they lack the integrity to admit it.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    11 Jun '18 15:56
    Originally posted by @whodey
    With the number of hateful posters on this site ...
    Count yourself near the top.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35854
    11 Jun '18 20:21
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://www.rt.com/usa/429284-bill-maher-recession-trump/

    Bill Maher wants people to suffer so they will blame Trump and want to vote against him.

    Do you feel the same?
    Unfortunately, this might be what it takes to wake up Middle America.
  6. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    65545
    11 Jun '18 20:21
    Originally posted by @whodey
    With the number of hateful posters on this site, I would gather most agree, even though they lack the integrity to admit it.
    On another thread duchess claimed innocent people enjoyed suffering under sanctions against SA as long as it was a cause she believed in. About as hateful as it gets.
  7. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Joined
    03 Jun '17
    Moves
    19490
    11 Jun '18 23:22
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://www.rt.com/usa/429284-bill-maher-recession-trump/

    Bill Maher wants people to suffer so they will blame Trump and want to vote against him.

    Do you feel the same?
    It is curious that he thinks we will just lose democracy. Has Pres. Trump actually taken any direct step toward the dissolution of any civil rights, or the voting process?

    There is also this idea that a recession is just inevitable...

    The presuppositions that this guy has are all the proof you need to see that this guy lives in an echo chamber.
  8. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    12 Jun '18 00:41
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    On another thread duchess claimed innocent people enjoyed suffering under sanctions against SA as long as it was a cause she believed in. About as hateful as it gets.
    An apartheid government is "hateful". You might find it hard to believe, but most blacks in SA supported international sanctions:

    A clear message resounds in recent surveys in South Africa in which more than 70 percent of blacks supported sanctions against the Government. Blacks are saying: ''We are suffering already. To end it, we will support sanctions, even if we have to take on additional suffering.''

    Our people have shown they mean business by their use of consumer boycotts. Last year, organizations representing more than 12 million South Africans called for sanctions and economic pressure. These are not insignificant actions or irresponsible bodies or individuals.

    https://www.nytimes.com/1986/06/16/opinion/sanctions-vs-apartheid.html

    As Desmond Tutu says in the 1986 article: "Please do us a favor: get out and come back when we have a democratic and just South Africa."
  9. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    12 Jun '18 00:42
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    It is curious that he thinks we will just lose democracy. Has Pres. Trump actually taken any direct step toward the dissolution of any civil rights, or the voting process?

    There is also this idea that a recession is just inevitable...

    The presuppositions that this guy has are all the proof you need to see that this guy lives in an echo chamber.
    In the capitalist system, recessions are always inevitable.

    That said, Presidents almost always get too much credit for good economic times and too much blame for bad ones.
  10. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    65545
    12 Jun '18 01:53
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    An apartheid government is "hateful". You might find it hard to believe, but most blacks in SA supported international sanctions:

    A clear message resounds in recent surveys in South Africa in which more than 70 percent of blacks supported sanctions against the Government. Blacks are saying: ''We are suffering already. To end it, we will support sanct ...[text shortened]... : "Please do us a favor: get out and come back when we have a democratic and just South Africa."
    If 50.001% think something, bad luck for the other 49.999%

    Psychopathic justification for sacrificing others.
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    65545
    12 Jun '18 01:541 edit
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    In the capitalist system, recessions are always inevitable.

    If only there were some evidence for this.

    Marauder Logic 🙄
  12. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    12 Jun '18 02:08
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    If only there were some evidence for this.

    Marauder Logic 🙄
    https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/businesscycle.asp
  13. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    12 Jun '18 02:092 edits
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    If 50.001% think something, bad luck for the other 49.999%

    Psychopathic justification for sacrificing others.
    I assume you wouldn't have been of much use opposing Nazis in WWII.

    I remember a scene in a Sartre book, perhaps Nausea where the main protagonist is about to throw a stone in a lake but then stops because he is unsure of what repercussions such an act might have on reality.

    This reminds me of your public policy positions or, more precisely, your lack thereof.

    EDIT: Perhaps I should say vaguely remember as I read the book in high school many years ago. Maybe someone here has a better recollection; if my memory is inaccurate, I apologize in advance.
  14. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Joined
    30 Apr '17
    Moves
    3849
    12 Jun '18 03:14
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Bill Maher wants people to suffer so they will blame Trump and want to vote against him.
    American workers are enjoying lower taxes, a flourishing job market, freedom from the repealed individual mandate, and a nice quality of life boost from not having the transgender bathroom agenda forced down our throats everyday. So for now, good luck with the desire for everyone to suffer. But don't worry. The Trump resistance can always count on the low-information voters and the middle-aged college graduate sluggards still living in the parents' basement, looking for a handout. What the democrats really need is for the USA to get dragged into another war. Then you can finally get back to splashing body bag counts on the front page headlines again--like the good ol' days.
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    12 Jun '18 03:25
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    American workers are enjoying lower taxes, a flourishing job market, freedom from the repealed individual mandate, and a nice quality of life boost from not having the transgender bathroom agenda forced down our throats everyday. So for now, good luck with the desire for everyone to suffer. But don't worry. The Trump resistance can always count on the ...[text shortened]... get back to splashing body bag counts on the front page headlines again--like the good ol' days.
    Speaking of "low information voters", the ACA mandate is still in effect until 2019.
Back to Top