Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 23 Jan '11 14:53 / 4 edits
    Yep, you guessed it. The whole birther issue will not go away, however, it is not because of anyone who opposes President Obama, rather, it is because of the governor of Hawaii Democrat Neil Abercrombie who wishes to absolve president Obama once and for all. In his words, it is to make sure that it is a non-issue for the 2012 elections. However, this has only seemed to led to more controversy because the governor cannot produce the birth certificate.

So the question begs, what is the governor smoking? I mean, the whole issue had no bearing on the 2008 did it? Obama was never forced to prove anything so why would he now?

Don't get me wrong, I never jumped on the "birther" bandwagon. I think those who are have successfully been characterized, whether good or bad, as right winged nut cases. So what is the strategy here? Are the democrats really trying to "absolve" president Obama, or are they trying to fan the flames of the debate in order to poke more fun at those on the right for the 2012 election cycle? AFter all, you can't convince me they will produce a birth certificate if one has not been produced as of yet. In addtion, none of this matters if it did not matter in 2008, so what is really going on here?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/rush-weighs-in-on-hawaii-obama-birth-certificate-search/
  2. 23 Jan '11 14:57
    It could be a strategy. Mainstream Republican voters frown on "birthers" and other paranoid loons, so the Dems will want to associate the foaming-at-the-mouth retards with the Republican party.
  3. 23 Jan '11 15:00
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It could be a strategy. Mainstream Republican voters frown on "birthers" and other paranoid loons, so the Dems will want to associate the foaming-at-the-mouth retards with the Republican party.
    Really I think it is the ONLY explanation. The question becomes, will they bite? No doubt, some will but by in large if they were smart they would just ignore the governor. I have a feeling though that he will not go away quitely.
  4. 23 Jan '11 16:41
    Actually, the attorney general for Hawaii refused to allow the document to be released.

"Hawaii's State Attorney General David Louie gave more volume to those "birther" voices on Saturday after he refused to release President Obama's birth certificate documents on privacy grounds. Louie told Governor Abercrombie that the documents could not be released without the consent of President Obama, even though Mr. Obama is a public figure and his legitimate appointment to the US presidency is dependent on proof that he was born in the United States."

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/302847#ixzz1BsSE632B

I'm sure that won't dissuade you from assuming that it is all a big political ploy since you rarely let facts get in the way of your fancy.
  5. Standard member Soothfast
    23 Jan '11 21:05
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yep, you guessed it. The whole birther issue will not go away, however, it is not because of anyone who opposes President Obama, rather, it is because of the governor of Hawaii Democrat Neil Abercrombie who wishes to absolve president Obama once and for all. In his words, it is to make sure that it is a non-issue for the 2012 elections. However, this has o ...[text shortened]...
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/rush-weighs-in-on-hawaii-obama-birth-certificate-search/
    I couldn't care less what the tin-foil hat crowd thinks.
  6. 23 Jan '11 21:10
    Originally posted by CliffLandin
    Actually, the attorney general for Hawaii refused to allow the document to be released.

"Hawaii's State Attorney General David Louie gave more volume to those "birther" voices on Saturday after he refused to release President Obama's birth certificate documents on privacy grounds. Louie told Governor Abercrombie that the documents could not be releas ...[text shortened]... it is all a big political ploy since you rarely let facts get in the way of your fancy.
    My guess that if it exists they won't release it. If so, it would support my theory.
  7. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    23 Jan '11 21:37
    My guess that if it exists they won't release it. If so, it would support my theory.
    I love that you criticize others for hyping the issue by posting the article in a forum, whodey.

I am curious, what would convince you categorically that Obama was born legally in the United States? Anything short of divine revelation?
  8. 23 Jan '11 21:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I love that you criticize others for hyping the issue by posting the article in a forum, whodey.

I am curious, what would convince you categorically that Obama was born legally in the United States? Anything short of divine revelation?
    Like I said, I could care less. They either require "proof", whatever that means, or they do not. He obviously has jumped through the necessary hoops to get where he is so what do I care? Additionally, when you attain a certain level of power, you become untouchable so this ongoing saga is akin to banging your head in the wall even if justified.

As for what I believe, he was probably born in Hawaii.
  9. 24 Jan '11 01:45
    Meet Michelle Obama, former defender of Barack, but now a birther herself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBJihJBePcs
  10. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    24 Jan '11 01:52
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    Meet Michelle Obama, former defender of Barack, but now a birther herself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBJihJBePcs
    "...his home country Kenya..." Made sense in its context. It is no secret his family was Kenyan. You are clutching at straws here. But American debates are sooo tiresome. I ought to just ignore them. Must be tired.
  11. 24 Jan '11 05:34

a birth certificate would be nice. with information on doctor(s) signing off on it, please.
  12. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    24 Jan '11 06:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    a birth certificate would be nice...
    Have you ever "seen" or "held" birth certificates for any of Obama's predecessors? Have you ever felt a need to?
  13. 24 Jan '11 07:20
    I mean, the whole issue had no bearing on the 2008 did it?
    Presumably it did. Politics in the US seems to focus quite heavily on such ridiculous things and they wouldn't come up unless someone thinks they will sway the vote one way or another.
  14. 24 Jan '11 08:43
    Have you ever "seen" or "held" birth certificates for any of Obama's predecessors? Have you ever felt a need to?
    We all know white people are only born in the US...
  15. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    24 Jan '11 13:03
    Curious topic, this. I and five members of my family are taking a trip out of the country in the spring, and all of us had to go through the passport process. For adults, part of that process involves photo identification (driver's licenses) and certified birth certificates. All I had was a very old photocopied one, so I was forced to spend an extra $50 on obtaining a certified one through that state's system.

All told, from application to gathering the necessary documentation, picture-taking and then working through the paperwork with the post office clerk, we spent about three hours on the entire process.

Releasing of Obama's birth certificate--- which he and he alone can do with relative ease--- would put the entire issue to bed once and for all. Doing so would also eliminate all but the hard core 'birthers' from wasting another moment of effort toward the controversy. It remains a controversy not because the 'birthers' are all a bunch of wing nuts, but rather because the man sitting in the office of President of the United States apparently feels more entitled than any sense of civil obligation compels him otherwise.

Funny that average joes like me are compelled to spend more effort proving who they are than it takes to get into the White House.