Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 20 Dec '14 22:10
    This is from wiki, but the source is given in the quote:

According to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports, in the year 2008 black youths, who make up 16% of the youth population, accounted for 52% of juvenile violent crime arrests, including 58.5% of youth arrests for homicide and 67% for robbery

Assuming that this is correct, is it racist to claim that black youths have a far greater problem with violence compared to white youths?
  2. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    20 Dec '14 22:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar

[b]According to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports, in the year 2008 black youths, who make up 16% of the youth population, accounted for 52% of juvenile violent crime arrests, including 58.5% of youth arrests for homicide and 67% for robbery

Assuming that this is correct, is it racist to claim that black youths have a far greater problem with violence compared to white youths?[/b]
    Racist and stupid.

Unless you have statistics comparing like with like.
    ie. Compare white youths and black youths from same socio-economic
    groups, same education, same family situation, same neighbourhood.etc

Then see what the stats say.
  3. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    20 Dec '14 23:36

[b]According to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports, in the year 2008 black youths, who make up 16% of the youth population, accounted for 52% of juvenile violent crime arrests, including 58.5% of youth arrests for homicide and 67% for robbery

Assuming that this is correct, is it racist to claim that black youths have a far greater problem with violence compared to white youths?[/b]
    It just shows that they get arrested more often, not that they commit more crimes. The problem could just as well be a biased police force and judiciary.
  4. 20 Dec '14 23:52
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Racist and stupid.

Unless you have statistics comparing like with like.
    ie. Compare white youths and black youths from same socio-economic
    groups, same education, same family situation, same neighbourhood.etc

Then see what the stats say.
    what are the statistics on black families with two parents? That is where the problem is...
  5. 21 Dec '14 00:12
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It just shows that they get arrested more often, not that they commit more crimes. The problem could just as well be a biased police force and judiciary.
    It isn't a biased police force, at least not biased enough to create these numbers.
  6. 21 Dec '14 00:12

poor youths, with no prospects for future.

so yes, it is stupid and racist what you just implied.
  7. 21 Dec '14 00:14
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    what are the statistics on black families with two parents? That is where the problem is...
    so in your opinion, single parents are unfit to raise children.
  8. 21 Dec '14 00:28
    Originally posted by rwingett
    People don't get arrested for nothing. Your theory is one that involves a massive conspiracy between police departments, prosecutors and judges, and its only purpose is to somehow ignore what jumps out at you from the quoted statistics.

If fact, arrests don't even come close to representing the number of criminal events. Criminals are seldom caught after their first commission of a crime. Police departments are doing well to close half the cases reported, and often cases in black neighborhoods don't get reported.

Since the majority of black criminals victimize other blacks, these cases are concentrated where lots of blacks live. This is not a matter of debate but established fact.

If it makes you feel better, it is still a relatively small percentage of young black men who become predators, but it s still at a much higher rate than among white or asians. That is supported by statistics on convictions and incarceration.
  9. 21 Dec '14 00:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    Hugh oversimplified. Single parenthood isn't a good thing, but it is not the only factor in the pathology of black urban culture.

To show its relationship, check on the number of married blacks during the 40s, 50s, and 60s. During those decades, blacks married and stayed married as well or better than whites. After 65 civil rights and Great society legislation, inspired by new welfare laws, the black family was destroyed, by excusing the father, and promoting single motherhood to hero status.

Single mothers can do the job, but to avoid problems, they usually require lots of help from close family like grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc. Married families are just a better model.
  10. 21 Dec '14 01:10
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi to Hugh Glass
    For whatever it's worth, Twhitehead has written that he's a single parent
    in Cape Town, South Africa.
  11. 21 Dec '14 12:26

It is racist if you think that it is an intrinsic property associated with skin colour.
  12. 21 Dec '14 12:38
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Hugh oversimplified. Single parenthood isn't a good thing, but it is not the only factor in the pathology of black urban culture.

To show its relationship, check on the number of married blacks during the 40s, 50s, and 60s. During those decades, blacks married and stayed married as well or better than whites. After 65 civil rights and Great society ...[text shortened]... lose family like grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc. Married families are just a better model.
    "Single mothers can do the job, but to avoid problems, they usually require lots of help"

the fact that single mothers can do the job shows the obvious issue: poverty is what is the most important factor. not the "absent father figure".

i have never heard of a son of a successful (lawyer, doctor) single mother become a gangbanger because "i had no daddy to teach me right".
  13. 21 Dec '14 12:55
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    I think you're on to something, if my parents hadn't divorced, I'm sure I'd be doing something other than pimping crack-addicted prostitutes now.
  14. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    21 Dec '14 13:07
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi

i have never heard of a son of a successful (lawyer, doctor) single mother become a gangbanger because "i had no daddy to teach me right".
    You didn't hear about that? Guess it must be true then.
  15. 21 Dec '14 13:17
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    You didn't hear about that? Guess it must be true then.
    since you are so fond of statistics from low numbers, why should i bother to abstain from worthless exaggerations? why should i make an extra effort to debate properly since you will disregard any debating convention and commit all the logical fallacies in the book?