Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 02 Nov '16 23:42
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/commentisfree/2016/nov/02/bono-is-a-magazines-woman-of-the-year-finally-a-man-to-tell-us-how-to-feminism-properly

"We Don't Need Bono to Tell Us How to do Glamour Properly"
    --Suzanne Moore (2 November 2016)

"I wondered if it was a joke. Women often wonder about jokes as we rarely
    understand them. Laughing at anything is also illegal if you are a feminist
    (but tittering isn't, so I had a titter). Bono is apparently Glamour's first
    male woman of the year."
    --Suzanne Moore

"The one bit of sexual politics that the 'radicals' [men] embrace is often
    a denial of biological difference. Yet some of the most hard-won campaigns
    have been around rape, FGM, sexual violence, childbirth and HIV, where
    women's experience is absolutely embodied."
    --Suzanne Moore
  2. 03 Nov '16 00:46
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/commentisfree/2016/nov/02/bono-is-a-magazines-woman-of-the-year-finally-a-man-to-tell-us-how-to-feminism-properly

understand them. Laughing at anyt ...[text shortened]... olence, childbirth and HIV, where
    --Suzanne Moore
    I am sure most red blooded american men know of the biological difference. Duh!!!
  3. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    03 Nov '16 01:17

understand them. Laughing at anyt ...[text shortened]... olence, childbirth and HIV, where
    --Suzanne Moore
    So sonhouse's nomination of you went nowhere, eh?
    What's it like to lose to a WHITE MALE?
    Triggered?
  4. Standard member vivify
    rain
    03 Nov '16 02:25
    Interesting that Caitlyn Jenner won "woman of the year" last year.
  5. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    03 Nov '16 02:36
    Originally posted by vivify
    Woman: ain't what she used to be!
  6. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    03 Nov '16 04:15
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I am sure most red blooded american men know of the biological difference. Duh!!!
    You have other colours of blood on the trailer park, do you?
  7. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    03 Nov '16 04:18

--Suzanne Moore
    Good for that magazine.

Why should only women be woman of the year?

Person of the year in support of women's issues is a good stance to take (and pretty much rules out 70% of this forum's chances).
  8. 03 Nov '16 19:54
    Originally posted by vivify
    Who should be eligible to be named as a 'Woman of the Year'?

I would not insist upon a candidate necessarily having XX chromosomes or all female sexual
    parts or reproductive organs. Being a woman is not necessarily determined by genes or anatomy.
    But I would submit that a candidate *at least identify* herself as a woman in real life.
    Caitlyn Jenner identifies herself as a woman. So does Chelsea Manning. Bono does not.
  9. 03 Nov '16 20:13
    Who should be eligible to be named as a 'Woman of the Year'?

I would not insist upon a candidate necessarily having XX chromosomes or all female sexual
    parts or reproductive organs. Being a woman is not necessarily determined by genes or anatomy.
    But I would submit that a candidate *at least identify* herself as a woman in real life.
    Caitlyn Jenner identifies herself as a woman. So does Chelsea Manning. Bono does not.
    If I self identify as Harry the hound can I enter a dog show?
  10. 03 Nov '16 20:18 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    If I self identify as Harry the hound can I enter a dog show?
    In addition to his transphobic bigotry, Robbie Carrobie shows that he's abysmal at logic.
    Robbie Carrobie fails to comprehend the difference between a "necessary* condition and a *sufficient* condition.

My point is that if someone wishes to be treated like a woman (including eligibility for
    women's awards), then *the least that one needs* to do is to identify herself as a woman.
    That alone may not be sufficient, however, such as in the case of someone who wishes
    to compete in a women's event at the Olympic Games.
  11. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    03 Nov '16 20:26
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Good for that magazine.

Why should only women be woman of the year?

Person of the year in support of women's issues is a good stance to take (and pretty much rules out 70% of this forum's chances).
    Up next:
    Attack Helicopter of the Year, 2017

Shavixmir commentary DVD sold separately (acid and toxicity levels exceed Hazmat shipping regulations).
    SPOILER ALERT!:
    Wait til you hear how he disses your mother!
    #whocares
    #rantingsofamalcontent
    #alwaysrepliesboring
  12. 03 Nov '16 20:48 / 1 edit
    In addition to his transphobic bigotry, Robbie Carrobie shows that he's abysmal at logic.
    Robbie Carrobie fails to comprehend the difference between a "necessary* condition and a *sufficient* condition.

My point is that if someone wishes to be treated like a woman (including eligibility for
    women's awards), then *the least that one needs* to do is to ...[text shortened]... , such as in the case of someone who wishes
    to compete in a women's event at the Olympic Games.
    Of course its not sufficient that was the point of my text that you FAILED to discern. I have a theory that you may be autistic to some degree because these little nuances of normal human communication often evade you.
  13. 03 Nov '16 20:57 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Of course its not sufficient that was the point of my text that you FAILED to discern.
    I have a theory that you may be autistic to some degree because these little nuances of normal human communication often evade you.
    The troll Robbie Carrobie keeps showing his abysmal 'reading comprehension' as part of his general idiocy.
    I mentioned a *necessary* condition; Robbie Carrobie misrepresented it as a *sufficient* condition.
  14. 03 Nov '16 20:58
    The link I click is dead, there must be something up with the servers
  15. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    03 Nov '16 21:11
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    The link I click is dead, there must be something up with the servers
    It's run by White Male Privilege employees: they'll get to you when they want.