Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member apathist
    looking for loot
    26 May '13 22:04
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/23/us/boy-scouts-sexual-orientation
  2. 26 May '13 23:20
    Originally posted by apathist
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/23/us/boy-scouts-sexual-orientation
    Well, it's a start at least.

"The BSA, however, will maintain its ban on gay adult leaders."

Boooooo.....
  3. 26 May '13 23:27
    They are a private organization, they can do what they want. People can choose to join it or not.
  4. 27 May '13 02:25
    Originally posted by Eladar
    They are a private organization, they can do what they want. People can choose to join it or not.
    Duh.
  5. 27 May '13 02:43
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Duh.
    Well, they've been sued over their membership requirements. They ultimately won, but a lot of Americans don't think they should be able to set their own membership criteria.
  6. 27 May '13 02:56

Boooooo.....
    Maybe they will have a grandfather clause so you and your first sergeant can still lead the boy scouts.
  7. 29 May '13 05:45
    Are you glad they now accept gay boys? Is such good for America? Do you have an opinion? Just wondering.
  8. 31 May '13 00:41
    My only problem with that is that they receive large amounts of public grant money, and I don't think public grant money should go to organizations which discriminate on sexual orientation on a religious basis. It violates the First and Fourteenth Amendments in one swipe.
  9. 31 May '13 01:09

Boooooo.....
    "The resolution also reinforces that Scouting is a youth program, and any sexual conduct, whether heterosexual or homosexual, by youth of Scouting age is contrary to the virtues of Scouting,"

Seems to be a pretty good idea to me. You don't join BSA to get it on.
  10. 31 May '13 16:53
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    My only problem with that is that they receive large amounts of public grant money, and I don't think public grant money should go to organizations which discriminate on sexual orientation on a religious basis. It violates the First and Fourteenth Amendments in one swipe.
    I don't think that public funds should go to any organization. Quit taking money away from individuals to pad the pockets of organizations.
  11. 31 May '13 17:56
    Originally posted by normbenign
    "The resolution also reinforces that Scouting is a youth program, and any sexual conduct, whether heterosexual or homosexual, by youth of Scouting age is contrary to the virtues of Scouting,"

Seems to be a pretty good idea to me. You don't join BSA to get it on.
    I don't have a problem with that part. It's disallowing gay scout leaders I disagree with.
  12. 31 May '13 19:00
    I don't have a problem with that part. It's disallowing gay scout leaders I disagree with.
    So if you had an openly gay NCO or officer in charge over you, that'd be OK?
    The obvious morale problem wouldn't disturb you?
  13. 31 May '13 19:14
    Do you think it is appropriate to put temptation in front of people?
  14. 31 May '13 19:16
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Do you think it is appropriate to put temptation in front of people?
    Good point. Let's only hire asexual teachers.
  15. 31 May '13 20:19
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    So if you had an openly gay NCO or officer in charge over you, that'd be OK?
    The obvious morale problem wouldn't disturb you?
    Obviusl morale problem?

Maybe having been raised around open gay people all my life I'm just living in a different world. Why would I care who my officer likes to sleep with? To me it's like obsessing over his choice of pizza toppings - I really don't care.

So, yeah, it would be okay. And my morale wouldn't be affected.