Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    05 Jan '18 19:14
    By the time the UK leaves the EU there will be more people in the UK who want to remain.

    Brexiteers are dying out. By 2020 they will be in the minority.

    Should the over 70s been permitted to vote?

    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-42574540/viewsnight-the-brexit-generation-is-dying-out
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    05 Jan '18 19:16
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    By the time the UK leaves the EU there will be more people in the UK who want to remain.

    Brexiteers are dying out. By 2020 they will be in the minority.

    Should the over 70s been permitted to vote?

    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-42574540/viewsnight-the-brexit-generation-is-dying-out
    Why even have elections? Why not just change the rule of law according to poll numbers?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    05 Jan '18 21:541 edit
    Ok, ok, new rule, those over 70 can't vote.

    Should we create extermination camps as well for them? It's not like they work and contribute to the father land, so they can't vote against anyone if our plan goes through.

    What do you think?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35838
    05 Jan '18 22:03
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Ok, ok, new rule, those over 70 can't vote.

    Should we create extermination camps as well for them? It's not like they work and contribute to the father land, so they can't vote against anyone if our plan goes through.

    What do you think?
    Are you applying for a promotion to 'False Prophet'?

    It's right up your... um, alley.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    05 Jan '18 22:38
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Are you applying for a promotion to 'False Prophet'?

    It's right up your... um, alley.
    Look everyone, it's another Prog wanting to screw people out of their voting rights cuz they are old.

    Do tell.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    06 Jan '18 00:29
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Look everyone, it's another Prog wanting to screw people out of their voting rights cuz they are old.

    Do tell.
    I'm old.

    I just wanted to open up a discussion about democracy.
    Is it fair to vote on something which will happen after you are dead?

    How about voting now for who will be President of the US in 2040?
    Who should be allowed to vote?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    06 Jan '18 03:03
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    I'm old.

    I just wanted to open up a discussion about democracy.
    Is it fair to vote on something which will happen after you are dead?

    How about voting now for who will be President of the US in 2040?
    Who should be allowed to vote?
    Here is another thought, is it fair that children can't vote when it is they who will be effected the most?

    Who makes a better voter? The elderly or an 18 year old?
  8. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    767
    06 Jan '18 03:09
    If left to a vote for just the youngsters, they are more likely to fall for the silly things thrown before them by the NWO. Doesn't Britain have a democracy that prevents giving away national sovereignty to unelected foreign people? Best to have the more steady hands with more life experience have a say in the voting don't you think?
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    06 Jan '18 07:29
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Here is another thought, is it fair that children can't vote when it is they who will be effected{sic} the most?

    Who makes a better voter? The elderly or an 18 year old?
    affected

    Young children do not have the cognition or knowledge to make informed choice.
    The age at which they do is debatable.
    But I would say a good case can be made for bringing the age of suffrage down to 16.


    Depends on the debate.
    The elderly and young are probably equally uninformed but the consequence
    of some votes has far more effect on the young than the old.

    Who should vote on tertiary education reform?
    Who should vote on ante-natal care?
    Who should vote on pensions?

    Not easy to answer.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    06 Jan '18 07:31
    Originally posted by @joe-beyser
    If left to a vote for just the youngsters, they are more likely to fall for the silly things thrown before them by the NWO.
    I don't think so, but since you make this claim you will
    obviously be able to back it up with some data.
  11. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Joined
    09 Oct '04
    Moves
    82168
    06 Jan '18 08:214 edits
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Who should vote on tertiary education reform?
    Who should vote on ante-natal care?
    Who should vote on pensions?

    Not easy to answer.
    An informed electorate. Much like the way many nations administer a civics exam before granting citizenship, maybe before successfully enrolling to vote you make it mandatory to pass an exam about how Government works and how the people's money is used to govern them.......

    I think if people had a firmer grip on how much is spent, and where it gets spent, and what social programs cost relative to military programs they may end up actually voting in favour of their own self interest for a change!
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    31913
    06 Jan '18 09:17
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    By the time the UK leaves the EU there will be more people in the UK who want to remain.

    Brexiteers are dying out. By 2020 they will be in the minority.

    Should the over 70s been permitted to vote?

    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-42574540/viewsnight-the-brexit-generation-is-dying-out
    I think the idea of putting an upper age limit on voting is a bit too controversial; old folk should have the right to express their opinions. On the other hand I believe that the average 16 year old is well enough tuned into the world to be given a say.

    British public opinion does seem to be moving away from 'Brexit' as the consequences are becoming clearer, (witness also the last general election result) and the government can no longer with confidence say that it is carrying out the will of the people, although it will continue to claim to do so.

    The 'problem' with the Brexit referendum was that not enough young people turned up to vote in the most important opinion pole which is likely to happen during their lifetime; a great and almost unbelievable wave of apathy, but that's democracy for you.

    The other problem was that it was a referendum based on false or exaggerated claims on both sides, which isn't really surprising since nobody knew what was going to happen, and this is still work in progress. Nobody yet knows the final negotiated positions, what will happen about the Irish border, how much the final 'divorce bill' will be, and so on.

    Once all of these things are known, there should be another referendum, so that the great British public can make an informed rather than misinformed choice on such an important issue.

    Sounds reasonable enough, doesn't it?
  13. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    06 Jan '18 09:34
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Ok, ok, new rule, those over 70 can't vote.

    Should we create extermination camps as well for them? It's not like they work and contribute to the father land, so they can't vote against anyone if our plan goes through.

    What do you think?
    Do you guys have extermination camps for those under 18?

    (inane comment about abortion commencing)
  14. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    06 Jan '18 09:37
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    [b]affected

    Young children do not have the cognition or knowledge to make informed choice.
    The age at which they do is debatable.
    But I would say a good case can be made for bringing the age of suffrage down to 16.


    Depends on the debate.
    The elderly and young are probably equally uninformed but the consequence
    of some votes has far more e ...[text shortened]... eform?
    Who should vote on ante-natal care?
    Who should vote on pensions?

    Not easy to answer.[/b]
    The elderly and young are probably equally uninformed

    I don't think that is true. While the average 20-year old may be woefully uninformed, they don't have to cope with declining mental faculties that plague the elderly, so they do come out on top on average.
  15. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88783
    06 Jan '18 11:34
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    I'm old.

    I just wanted to open up a discussion about democracy.
    Is it fair to vote on something which will happen after you are dead?

    How about voting now for who will be President of the US in 2040?
    Who should be allowed to vote?
    Laying aside the fact that you are just being silly...actually no, you are just being silly.
Back to Top