Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 13:211 edit
    YouTube

In the soothing voice of Stephen Fry

"How a mythical EU dragon was conjured up and the striking truth behind it all.
    A trick of forced perspective put fear in the way of facts. "
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 13:291 edit
    Someone in the UK decided to put on a newspaper the sentence "The EU wants to merge England with France". Someone looked at that sentence and said "no, this isn't going too far, it's not too ludicrous, print it"

I find that hilarious.
  3. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 13:54
    @zahlanzi said
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYonSZ8s3_o

In the soothing voice of Stephen Fry

"How a mythical EU dragon was conjured up and the striking truth behind it all.
    A trick of forced perspective put fear in the way of facts. "
    Already been done Thread 179489

Thinking about it though, you would know all about "mythical dragons" from your online Dungeons & Dragons nerd mates.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 14:11
    Already mentioned it elsewhere but see how it's re-inforced here: nonsense language like "the mythical EU dragon" really works with the pro-EU people.

Sad to see how such simple tricks still work in the political arena.
  5. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 14:23
    @great-king-rat said
    Already mentioned it elsewhere but see how it's re-inforced here: nonsense language like "the mythical EU dragon" really works with the pro-EU people.

In Britain there really is "the mythical EU dragon"
    The link below partially explains why the Brits are not happy in the EU.They have been lied to by the press so often that they think it is the truth.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/media/euromyths.html
  6. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 15:00
    @biffo-konker said
    The link below partially explains why the Brits are not happy in the EU.They have been lied to by the press so often that they think it is the truth.

Thanks for this it really helps as I get all my ideas from the Express which I also insist my fish n' chips are wrapped in. Sometimes I make the previous day's Express into a paper hat which is particularly handy in the summer when I'm on the beach with my trousers rolled up.

Another good reason to leave the EU and one which was disappointingly not picked up by the lovely Express is the new EU laws on vacuum cleaner wattage - wtf is that about? I had James Dyson around for an Express wrapped fish n' chip party the other week and he was well pissed off about it.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 15:081 edit
    @biffo-konker said

Oh, there "really is" the mythical EU dragon??

Whoops, here I was thinking it was just an easy and predicatable way to ridicule those who are critical of the EU.

Ah, those stoopid Brexiters... simply can't see they're being lied to, right? Unlike them smart pro-EU folks, who know what the truth is 🙄
  8. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 15:23
    @divegeester said
    Thanks for this it really helps as I get all my ideas from the Express which I also insist my fish n' chips are wrapped in. Sometimes I make the previous day's Express into a paper hat which is particularly handy in the summer when I'm on the beach with my trousers rolled up.

Another good reason to leave the EU and one which was disappointingly not picked up by the ...[text shortened]... around for an Express wrapped fish n' chip party the other week and he was well pissed off about it.
    Do you really use your old fish and chip wrappers for a sun hat?
    Your comment about vacuum cleaners shows that your source of information is suspect.
    This is what 'which' magazine had to say -

'Has the energy label made vacuum cleaners worse? No. There is no evidence to suggest that vacuum cleaners with smaller motors are any worse at cleaning. In fact, according to our own tests of hundreds of vacuum cleaners, the standard of cleaning has remained relatively stable when you compare vacuums from before the energy label restrictions with those from after they came into effect. If anything, cleaning performance has, on average, actually increased as a result of the energy label's introduction.'

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/vacuum-cleaners/article/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-vacuum-cleaners-energy-label - Which?
  9. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 15:25
    @great-king-rat said

Whoops, here I was thinking it was just an easy and predicatable way to ridicule those who are critical of the EU.

Ah, those stoopid Brexiters... simply can't see they're being lied to, right? Unlike them smart pro-EU folks, who know what the truth is 🙄
    Did you bother to look at the link?
  10. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 15:32
    @biffo-konker said
    Do you really use your old fish and chip wrappers for a sun hat?
    Your comment about vacuum cleaners shows that your source of information is suspect.
    This is what 'which' magazine had to say -

'Has the energy label made vacuum cleaners worse? No. There is no evidence to suggest that vacuum cleaners with smaller motors are any worse at cleaning. In fact, according to ...[text shortened]... ws/vacuum-cleaners/article/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-vacuum-cleaners-energy-label - Which?
    You truly are a humourless tosser aren’t you.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 15:57
    @biffo-konker said
    Did you bother to look at the link?
    Yep. Found it fairly boring.

Summary: UK Tabloids are not good sources of news. Well, I am shocked!

Clearly, this indicates Brexiters cast their vote based on "the mythical EU dragon".

I think Kazet referred to it as the "monster under the bed" or something like that.

It couldn't possibly be that the way EU has behaved itself over the last few decades that has turned average Joe against them. No no, it must be that average Joe reads these tabloids, firmly beliefs in the existence of the mythical EU dragon and thinks nothing more of it.

Be honest, you consider the Brexit camp on average pretty stoopid, don't you? Be honest now!
  12. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 16:34
    @great-king-rat said

Clearly, this indicates Brexiters cast their vote based on "the mythical EU dragon".

I think Kazet referred to it as the "monster under the bed" or something like that.

It couldn't possibly be that the way EU has behaved itself over the last few decades that ...[text shortened]... it.

Be honest, you consider the Brexit camp on average pretty stoopid, don't you? Be honest now!
    'It couldn't possibly be that the way EU has behaved itself over the last few decades that has turned average Joe against them.'
    An example or two to illustrate what kind of behaviour you are referring to would be helpful.
    Do you consider the remain camp to be on average pretty stupid?
  13. Germany
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 16:47
    @great-king-rat said

It couldn't possibly be that the way EU has behaved itself over the last few decades that ...[text shortened]... it.

On average, there isn't much difference between the "Brexit camp" and the "Remain camp" in terms of stupidity. Of course, among very bright people in the U.K. the overwhelming majority voted Remain.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 17:03
    @great-king-rat said

i am sure you have some specific thing to debunk and not just running your mouth off. i am sure you also will share those specific things you don't agree with here
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 17:06
    @great-king-rat said

the link lists specific issues the British public was lied about.

would you like to discuss any of them or do you think anyone will mistake you for smart for mocking the topic and just refusing to have a debate?