Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Stargazing
    Moves
    02 Sep '18 17:30
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    The price will be a contraction of the U.K. economy by something on the order of a few percent. Not dramatic by any means, but also totally unnecessary.
    Maybe in the short term...maybe.

But I think you underestimate the UK, it’s business, it’s innovation and industriousness and importantly it’s people, and you do so greatly.

It is my view, and the view of the majority of the British people that we will be strategically better off out of the EU and when that great vision is substantiated the EU and it’s globalist intellectual pretensions will be finished as the rest of the nation state turn on it.

Power to the people!
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Dukeonline
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    02 Sep '18 18:59
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Maybe in the short term...maybe.

But I think you underestimate the UK, it’s business, it’s innovation and industriousness and importantly it’s people, and you do so greatly.

It is my view, and the view of the majority of the British people that we will be strategically better off out of the EU and when that great vision is substantiated the EU a ...[text shortened]... retensions will be finished as the rest of the nation state turn on it.

Power to the people!
    Sometimes, in chess, it is a good strategy to move a poorly positioned knight backward (which may feel counter-intuitive) in order to spring forward again to a better square.

Leaving the EU will most probably feel like a backward move (to begin with) and there may indeed be an initial negative impact on the economy. - At present, however, we are 'poorly positioned' and such a backward move is necessary if we are going to spring forward again on the world stage.

Brexit isn't foolhardy. it's just good chess.
  3. Stargazing
    Moves
    02 Sep '18 19:16
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I wouldn’t know about that as I’m rubbish at chess.

This scurrilous lie that the UK will somehow fail outside of the EU globalist corporate body is such utter bollox.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Dukeonline
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    02 Sep '18 19:42
    I wouldn’t know about that as I’m rubbish at chess.

This scurrilous lie that the UK will somehow fail outside of the EU globalist corporate body is such utter bollox.
    I seem to recall you gave me a pretty good game. 🙂
  5. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    02 Sep '18 19:58
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    Actually, the EU has destroyed Southern Europe.

Instead, Britain grew close to 2% in 2016 and '17. Unemployment is at a record low. Our trade deficit is falling and we posted a budget surplus for the first time in a while. This has all been very embarrassing for ignorant remainers (and for Brussels, who loves to pretend that you cannot succeed ...[text shortened]... ove otherwise), many of whom probably wish a recession upon us so that they can feel vindicated.
    Because you post it again doesn't make it true. Germany and the EU haven't destroyed any economy.

Regarding Brexit:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-22/u-k-brexit-hit-already-exceeds-eu-budget-payments-study-shows

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44511829
  6. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    02 Sep '18 19:592 edits
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Sometimes, in chess, it is a good strategy to move a poorly positioned knight backward (which may feel counter-intuitive) in order to spring forward again to a better square.

Leaving the EU will most probably feel like a backward move (to begin with) and there may indeed be an initial negative impact on the economy. - At present, however, we are ...[text shortened]... ng to spring forward again on the world stage.

To stay in the analogy it's more like sacrificing the knight in hope of a possible attack.

EDIT: I can - maybe - understand the political reasons for Brexit, but the economic ones are more uncertain and mostly not in the Brexit corner.
  7. Stargazing
    Moves
    02 Sep '18 20:011 edit
    Originally posted by @lundos
    (Germany and) the EU haven't destroyed any economy.
    I’m sure Greece was worse off before joining the EU.

#irony.
  8. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    02 Sep '18 20:07
    I’m sure Greece was worse off before joining the EU.
    Blaming the EU are a weak attempt to vilify the EU. Greece fcked up their own economy.

"If Greece were to leave the euro, the economic and political consequences would be devastating. According to Japanese financial company Nomura an exit would lead to a 60% devaluation of the new drachma. Analysts at French bank BNP Paribas added that the fallout from a Greek exit would wipe 20% off Greece's GDP, increase Greece's debt-to-GDP ratio to over 200%, and send inflation soaring to 40–50%.Also UBS warned of hyperinflation, a bank run and even "military coups and possible civil war that could afflict a departing country".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_debt_crisis
  9. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    02 Sep '18 20:08
    #irony.
    #knowledge
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Sep '18 20:332 edits
    Originally posted by @divegeester to Suzianne
    Have you not been reading this forum?

I’ve been regularly directly called racist, bigoted, moronic, an idiot, unintelligent, uneducated and a many other labels of abuse by those who I presume see themselves as intelligent, informed educated and politically right-on and in the vortex of humanity’s best interests.

I’d vote brexit today, ...[text shortened]... endence the UK needs and I couldn’t give toss what the abusive knuckleheads in this forum think.
    "I’ve been regularly directly called racist, bigoted, moronic, an idiot, unintelligent, uneducated
    and a many other labels of abuse by those ..."
    --Divegeester

It's disingenuous for Divegeester to pretend that his voting for Brexit is the only reason why he's widely condemned.
    In fact, in the Spirituality forum, Divegeester has been widely condemned as an abusive
    lying troll for many reasons, including by Suzianne herself.

I don't have a major objection to anyone voting for Brexit per se. I criticize some people for being
    dishonest (such as by denying xenophobia) in making claims about why many people voted for Brexit.
  11. Stargazing
    Moves
    02 Sep '18 20:45
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    It's disingenuous for Divegeester to pretend that his voting for Brexit is the only reason why he's widely condemned.
    In fact, in the Spirituality forum, Divegeester has been widely condemned as an abusive lying troll for many reasons, including by Suzianne herself.
    Feel free to provide evidence of your claim.
  12. Stargazing
    Moves
    02 Sep '18 20:471 edit
    #knowledge
    No, irony.

Visit Greece sometime, speak to the people and then pontificate.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Sep '18 20:50
    Feel free to provide evidence of your claim.
    Divegeester apparently hopes that everyone in this forum must be too lazy to read the
    Sprituality forum enough to notice Divegeester being widely condemned as a troll.
  14. Stargazing
    Moves
    02 Sep '18 20:53
    Blaming the EU are a weak attempt to vilify the EU. Greece fcked up their own economy.
    Did they really, you have some evidence for that?

How much did the EU bung Greece last time to shut them the fook up and keep them from leaving? The UK will not and cannot be silenced by threats or bribes by the EU the way Greece and the other lesser economic nations can.

Take your corporate globalism and shove it where the Mediterranean sunshine fails to penetrate.
  15. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    02 Sep '18 20:53
    No, irony.

Visit Greece sometime, speak to the people and then pontificate.
    I have. Multiple times.

Some like the EU and understand that a huge 'grey' economy and lying about public debt aren't good ideas. Some don't and blame everyone else for their problems.