Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 04:58
    Update: The latest poll support for independence has slipped back to 46 percent,( practically unchanged from 2014) since the announcement of number 2, and that euroscepticism has skyrocketed in Scotland, with 70 percent now supporting leaving the EU or at least curbing Brussel's powers.

The SNP is in complete disarray and appears to be trying to abandon their support for EU membership, exposing what this was: independence. The EU was merely an excuse.
  2. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 05:35
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    Update: The latest poll support for independence has slipped back to 46 percent,( practically unchanged from 2014) since the announcement of number 2, and that euroscepticism has skyrocketed in Scotland, with 70 percent now supporting leaving the EU or at least curbing Brussel's powers.

The SNP is in complete disarray and appears to be trying to abando ...[text shortened]... ir support for EU membership, exposing what this was: independence. The EU was merely an excuse.
    Yes! I was quite shocked.
    Well, until I found out how the polling was conducted.

Basically the questions (in two major polls) were along the lines of:
    Should there be a vote before
    brexit?
    Should there be a vote after brexit?
    Should there be no vote at all?

And the no scored higher than the other 2. However, the other 2 combined where higher than the no.

I can't find any information on a recent poll about wanting independence or not, though.

And I'm still waiting for your proof of the SNP being racist.
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 16:07
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Yes! I was quite shocked.
    Well, until I found out how the polling was conducted.

Basically the questions (in two major polls) were along the lines of:
    Should there be a vote before
    brexit?
    Should there be a vote after brexit?
    Should there be no vote at all?

And the no scored higher than the other 2. However, the other 2 combined where higher tha ...[text shortened]... ng independence or not, though.

And I'm still waiting for your proof of the SNP being racist.
    I would but then I realized that it wouldn't change your opinion and I decided that I could spend my time better than dredging the internet from the last decade. Let's agree to disagree.

Anyway, I don't think this is what Nicola Sturgeon wanted. She is pragmatic, and a calm politician, and she only wants to have a ref if she knows she can win it. I think Alex Salmond pushed her into it. If she wants to win she must tell him to bugger off.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 16:38
    I would but then I realized that it wouldn't change your opinion and I decided that I could spend my time better than dredging the internet from the last decade. Let's agree to disagree.

Anyway, I don't think this is what Nicola Sturgeon wanted. She is pragmatic, and a calm politician, and she only wants to have a ref if she knows she can win it. I think Alex Salmond pushed her into it. If she wants to win she must tell him to bugger off.
    No, according to an article I read, which may be biased (it was the Telegraph) the SNP's support in Scotland has been slipping recently. They rely on the Greens to form an outright majority in the Scottish parliament. Her calculation is that the SNP can rely on a referendum every generation or so, if support for the SNP continues to slide then it is unlikely that a referendum will occur for a generation if that, so she has little to lose by going for it now. The gamble is that if the Brexit negotiations are unsatisfactory from a Scottish point of view then an independence vote is more likely.

You need to be a little wary of poll results. As shavimixir noted it's easy to generate a biased poll in order produce a rhetorical advantage and having done market research interviewing years ago I can assure you that some respondents do not answer the questions honestly. Take poll results with a pinch of salt, especially since what will matter is what people are thinking in 2019 and not what they are thinking now.
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 17:161 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    No, according to an article I read, which may be biased (it was the Telegraph) the SNP's support in Scotland has been slipping recently. They rely on the Greens to form an outright majority in the Scottish parliament. Her calculation is that the SNP can rely on a referendum every generation or so, if support for the SNP continues to slide then it is un ...[text shortened]... y since what will matter is what people are thinking in 2019 and not what they are thinking now.
    Well yeah after brexit (which even though I supported, I never expected to win, and trump we have to take everything with a pinch of salt.

At least a bit of good news is that the Dutch turnout seems to be 80 percent or so, so it seems that they have turned out in their numbers to defeat wilders. One hopes... But we can take nothing for granted these days anymore, which I suppose is a good thing as it keeps political thought moving.
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 17:18
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    No, according to an article I read, which may be biased (it was the Telegraph) the SNP's support in Scotland has been slipping recently. They rely on the Greens to form an outright majority in the Scottish parliament. Her calculation is that the SNP can rely on a referendum every generation or so, if support for the SNP continues to slide then it is un ...[text shortened]... y since what will matter is what people are thinking in 2019 and not what they are thinking now.
    I think the SNP might be in for a bit of shock come the next election. Ruth Davidson is one of the most amazing politician s I've seen in a long time, one of the few I don't despise.
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 23:11
    I think the SNP might be in for a bit of shock come the next election. Ruth Davidson is one of the most amazing politician s I've seen in a long time, one of the few I don't despise.
    Quite the little Toryboy #itika
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 23:253 edits
    Any chance the English ( and rest of the UK minus Scotland)) could have a referendum on whether we want Scotland to be allowed to remain in the UK?

Can't play rugby or any other ball game. And, boy, can they whine!

Chip on both shoulders, and other body parts also

Edit - allow that young Murray wields a fair tennis racket
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 23:29
    The Scots have a deep seated and innate distrust of Tories and all they stand for and for good reason.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 23:355 edits
    Originally posted by Blood On The Tracks
    Any chance the English ( and rest of the UK minus Scotland)) could have a referendum on whether we want Scotland to be allowed to remain in the UK?

Can't play rugby or any other ball game. And, boy, can they whine!

Chip on both shoulders, and other body parts also
    We are a different country, with a different history, culture and language. We did not want union with England, we were sold into it by a group of utterly corrupt aristocrats and politicians. There is no chip on our shoulder as you ludicrously assert. We are ruled by a government that no one voted for and subject to a foreign parliament, We must be the only nation in Europe that does not have self autonomy.

Please vote us out. We can have as second Highland clearance and you can take all your own countrymen back.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 23:401 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    [There is no chip on our shoulder as you ludicrously assert.
    Hey, Robbie, my post isn't in any way saying that you need to stay in the UK

Please, have another vote, and please go

No chip on shoulder? No hatred of all things English? No prescription charges? No university fees?

Have it all, still whine

Of course you hope the all blacks give us a spanking. As you hope every team that plays us beats us. Your bonnie lads tried on Saturday. Oh dear. Look how that turned out
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 23:421 edit

No chip on shoulder? No hatred of all things English? No prescription charges? No university fees?

Have it all, still whine
    What is it about NO SELF AUTONOMY that yet evades you?
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 23:441 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    unworthy of serious comment.
    No comment on no prescription charges in Scotland, but we are pinged at almost a tenner a time?

Why is that unworthy?

Oh, you edited it, sorry

Erm, nothing. But you are still in UK at moment, apparently playing under different rules
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 23:441 edit

Have it all, still whine

Of course you hope the all blacks give us a spanking. As you hope every team that plays us beats us. Your bonnie lads tried on Saturday. Oh dear. Look how that turned out
    They will give you a spanking, same as Iceland gave you a spanking in the Euros. Our independence has nothing to do with you. Its a matter for us to decide, not you.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 23:461 edit
    No comment on no prescription charges in Scotland, but we are pinged at almost a tenner a time?

Why is that unworthy?
    because you don't understand that the issue is self autonomy and instead you seem to think that a nations success is hinged upon how good it chases an egg shaped ball.