Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Apr '11 07:12
    According to Yahoo: "French police will intercept Muslim women wearing veils and fine them if they refuse to expose their faces from Monday."

If you'd been a legislator, would you have voted in favour of this or against it? Why?
  2. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    09 Apr '11 07:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    According to Yahoo: "French police will intercept Muslim women wearing veils and fine them if they refuse to expose their faces from Monday."

If you'd been a legislator, would you have voted in favour of this or against it? Why?
    Only Muslim women?

If they're in a minority, too bad for them.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Apr '11 07:23
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Only Muslim women?

If they're in a minority, too bad for them.
    Would you - as a legislator - have voted in favour of this or against it?
  4. 09 Apr '11 08:51
    Against. The hazard to public safety is too small to warrant such an infringement on one's rights. And in specific cases where identification is required they can always be asked to take off their veil.
  5. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    09 Apr '11 08:59
    Given the track of male terrorists trying to escape by
    dressing as Muslim women, I would say French should start
    lifting the whole thing to check for bombs and firearms.
  6. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    09 Apr '11 09:33
    I've found the rigidity of the official French mystifying and would certainly have voted against it. I'm unpersuaded that the wearing of a veil infringes on others' civil liberties.
  7. 09 Apr '11 18:05 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

I wouldn't hesitate one minute to fully endorse such a measure, and the reason for this simply that I agree with the arguments put forward by the advocates of the anti-burka laws- it is an instrument of oppression which has no place in modern-day France where secularism and equality dictate what is and isn't appropriate conduct.

Furthermore, there is also the symbolical meaning of the burka, the most visible sign that Islam is pervading the streets of traditionally Christian Europe, a trend which Im certain most of the posters here would like to see reversed, put to an end, etc

Not to mention of course the practical dimension of allowing burkas to be publicly paraded in the streets- Its well-known that petty thieves and other lowly criminals would come to see it as a convenient disguise.
  8. 10 Apr '11 01:32
    Originally posted by FMF

What if you are a man?
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    10 Apr '11 01:39
    Originally posted by whodey
    What if you are a man?
    Plenty of female impersonators and transvestites where I live. They busk at traffic lights. I am nonplussed by it all. Good luck to them.
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    10 Apr '11 01:44
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    I wouldn't hesitate one minute to fully endorse such a measure, and the reason for this simply that I agree with the arguments put forward by the advocates of the anti-burka laws- it is an instrument of oppression which has no place in modern-day France where secularism and equality dictate what is and isn't appropriate conduct.
    If the burqa wearer, when stopped, tells the police that she does not consider herself oppressed should she be exempt from being fined?
  11. 10 Apr '11 02:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    Plenty of female impersonators and transvestites where I live. They busk at traffic lights. I am nonplussed by it all. Good luck to them.
    In a burqa?
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    10 Apr '11 02:41 / 3 edits
    In a burqa?
    I see a woman wearing a burqa here where I live about once a month. I live in a city, so there might be one or two more in conservative rural areas, although I doubt it. Burqas are not part of Indonesian culture or tradition. But they are - perhaps - something to do with a kind of Middle East 'chic' that has been on the rise since the 1990s. You see plenty of Indonesian men dressed up in a vaguely 'Arabic' fashion, in terms of clothes, especially on their way to Friday Prayers. I'm told that this wasn't the case so much back in the 50s and 60s and 70s.

If you'd been a legislator, would you have voted in favour of the ban on/fines for waering a burqa or against it? Why?
  13. 10 Apr '11 03:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    I see a woman wearing a burqa here where I live about once a month. I live in a city, so there might be one or two in conservative rural areas, although I doubt it. Burqas are not part of Indonesian culture or tradition. But they are - perhaps - something to do with a kind of Middle East 'chic' that has been on the rise since the 1990s. You see plenty of Indones ...[text shortened]... ould you have voted in favour of the ban on/fines for waering a burqa or against it? Why?
    These legislators are all mad power hungry control freaks. I was just inquiring as to whether cross dressers where burqa's. I find the thought rather humorous on a variety of levels.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    10 Apr '11 03:06
    These legislators are all mad power hungry control freaks. I was just inquiring as to whether cross dressers where burqa's. I find the thought rather humorous on a variety of levels.
    Would you have voted in favour of the ban on for wearing a burqa or against it? Do you just not want to say unequivocally?
  15. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    10 Apr '11 07:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    Plenty of female impersonators and transvestites where I live.
    Interesting.