Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    24 Dec '13 14:58 / 4 edits
    All in the last 48 hours.

    A pipe bomb believed to have been planted by Palestinian militants exploded on board a bus in central Israel just moments after it had been evacuated, police said, in the most serious attack inside Israel in more than a year.

    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/22/bus-bomb-tel-aviv-suburb-israel-palestinians

    The Israeli military said a rocket fired from the Gaza Strip hit an open area in a southern Israeli village overnight Sunday but caused no injuries.

    Police found Monday morning the remains of the Qassam rocket near a bus stop for transporting children in the Hof Ashkelon Regional Council. The bus stop was damaged only slightly.

    The rocket was fired at around midnight Sunday, and sirens sounded in a number of communities in the region. Police said the rocket was fired by Palestinian militants. There has been no claim of responsibility.

    -snip-

    On Sunday, an Egyptian military source told the Palestinian news agency Ma'an that a Qassam rocket that was fired during the day from the Gaza Strip landed in Egyptian territorial waters. The Egyptian source added that the rocket landed 300 meters from the coast of Egyptian Rafah, exploded in the water, and there was no report of casualties. Hamas said that the rocket was fired during a military training exercise, and landed by mistake in Egyptian territory.

    http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.564919

    An Israeli policeman was stabbed in the back by a Palestinian man Monday, near the town of Geva Binyamin outside Jerusalem, in a second Palestinian terrorist attack in two days.

    The incident took place at about 5 p.m., when three policemen were directing traffic in the area. According to Judea and Samaria District Police Commander Kobi Cohen, the policemen arrived in the aftermath of a minor traffic accident. While the three directed traffic, a Palestinian man came up behind them, stabbing policeman Rami Ravid in the back with a 15 centimeter (6-inch) blade.

    http://www.israelhayom.com/site/newsletter_article.php?id=14243

    How should Israel respond, if at all?

    edit: deleted a complaint about lack of press coverage. I don't want this thread to be whiny.
  2. 24 Dec '13 15:31
    They should respond by giving up the land that isn't theirs.
  3. 24 Dec '13 15:31
    Originally posted by sh76

    How should Israel respond, if at all?
    By arresting the perpretrators and trying them in court.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    24 Dec '13 17:55
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    By arresting the perpretrators and trying them in court.
    How would you suggest that they arrest perpetrators who are probably in Gaza or the WB? Should they violate the sovereignty of those areas to hunt down the perpetrators? Or perhaps they should be content to send the perpetrators post cards inviting them to an arraignment?
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    24 Dec '13 17:57
    Originally posted by Trev33
    They should respond by giving up the land that isn't theirs.
    You mean, like, for example, Tel Aviv, where the bus bombing occurred. Correct?
  6. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    24 Dec '13 18:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    All in the last 48 hours.

    A pipe bomb believed to have been planted by Palestinian militants exploded on board a bus in central Israel just moments after it had been evacuated, police said, in the most serious attack inside Israel in more than a year.

    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/22/bus-bomb-tel-aviv-suburb-israel-palestinians
    ...[text shortened]...

    edit: deleted a complaint about lack of press coverage. I don't want this thread to be whiny.
    That conflict will never end, no matter how Israel responds. Israel will continue to build on Palestinian land, and the Palestianians will continue to attack Israel any way they can. They've been shooting at each other for 50+ years, and will be shooting at each other for the next 50+. I just hope the USA does not get drawn into this mess.
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    24 Dec '13 18:31
    Originally posted by sh76
    All in the last 48 hours.

    A pipe bomb believed to have been planted by Palestinian militants exploded on board a bus in central Israel just moments after it had been evacuated, police said, in the most serious attack inside Israel in more than a year.

    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/22/bus-bomb-tel-aviv-suburb-israel-palestinians
    ...[text shortened]...

    edit: deleted a complaint about lack of press coverage. I don't want this thread to be whiny.
    I don't know. Tough call.
  8. 24 Dec '13 18:55
    Originally posted by bill718
    That conflict will never end, no matter how Israel responds. Israel will continue to build on Palestinian land, and the Palestianians will continue to attack Israel any way they can. They've been shooting at each other for 50+ years, and will be shooting at each other for the next 50+. I just hope the USA does not get drawn into this mess.
    The USA created that mess.
  9. 24 Dec '13 18:56
    Originally posted by sh76
    You mean, like, for example, Tel Aviv, where the bus bombing occurred. Correct?
    All of "Israel" actually.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    24 Dec '13 19:00
    Originally posted by sh76
    You mean, like, for example, Tel Aviv, where the bus bombing occurred. Correct?
    It was wrong for the US to bomb Berlin in WWII because that was in Germany under that logic.
  11. 24 Dec '13 19:05
    Originally posted by bill718
    That conflict will never end, no matter how Israel responds. Israel will continue to build on Palestinian land, and the Palestianians will continue to attack Israel any way they can. They've been shooting at each other for 50+ years, and will be shooting at each other for the next 50+. I just hope the USA does not get drawn into this mess.
    I thought that about N.Ireland but there is hope .
  12. 24 Dec '13 19:07
    Originally posted by Trev33
    They should respond by giving up the land that isn't theirs.
    Let me guess, Hitler had the right idea.
  13. 24 Dec '13 19:12
    Originally posted by sh76
    How would you suggest that they arrest perpetrators who are probably in Gaza or the WB? Should they violate the sovereignty of those areas to hunt down the perpetrators? Or perhaps they should be content to send the perpetrators post cards inviting them to an arraignment?
    The state of Israel should either establish law and order and equality before the law in its entire territory and citizens therein or it should cede territory where it does not want to do so.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    24 Dec '13 19:19
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The state of Israel should either establish law and order and equality before the law in its entire territory and citizens therein or it should cede territory where it does not want to do so.
    But God gave it to them. And/or they'll all be brutally slaughtered if they recognize Palestinian rights: "Never Again". And/or (fill in the dots with the appropriate Israeli excuse for their tyranny over the Palestinians).
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    24 Dec '13 19:22
    Originally posted by sh76
    All in the last 48 hours.

    A pipe bomb believed to have been planted by Palestinian militants exploded on board a bus in central Israel just moments after it had been evacuated, police said, in the most serious attack inside Israel in more than a year.

    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/22/bus-bomb-tel-aviv-suburb-israel-palestinians
    ...[text shortened]...

    edit: deleted a complaint about lack of press coverage. I don't want this thread to be whiny.
    Gee three attacks where no one was killed. Why wasn't this plastered on the front page of every newspaper in the world and repeated on every TV network (including ESPN and Lifetime) every 5 minutes?