Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 24 Oct '10 12:04
    The end result of the invasion of Iraq has evidently been to make the situation there worse than it wss before, and to cause the death of hundreds of British and American soldiers in the process.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/8083084/Wikileaks-Release-has-exposed-the-terrifying-reality-of-the-Iraq-War.html
  2. 24 Oct '10 12:28
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    ... and to cause the death of hundreds of British and American soldiers in the process.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/8083084/Wikileaks-Release-has-exposed-the-terrifying-reality-of-the-Iraq-War.html
    ... and some innocent Iraqi lifes too.
  3. 24 Oct '10 13:42
    Don't forget the two Dutch soldiers!
  4. 24 Oct '10 19:44
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Thank you for reminding me, and also any others involved in the invasion as well as the thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians.
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    24 Oct '10 20:38
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    My deepest respect and thanks go out to those men.

However, what's this I heard about Dutch Apaches refusing to provide fire support to infantry engaging in a firefight?!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/8184052/dutch-to-review-sas-claims/
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    24 Oct '10 20:57
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    The end result of the invasion of Iraq has evidently been to make the situation there worse
    The end result is that the game is over. Saddam Hussein was stopped. The regime was changed. Nation building was not the objective of the war.
  7. 24 Oct '10 21:11
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The end result is that the game is over. Saddam Hussein was stopped. The regime was changed. Nation building was not the objective of the war.
    They didn't even plan to have a plan?
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    24 Oct '10 21:19
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    They didn't even plan to have a plan?
    They did, but that wasn't the point of the war. The House of Saud are our bestest buddies. We don't need our friends to be democracies, as long as they are our friends.
  9. 25 Oct '10 18:39
    shame on you all.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    25 Oct '10 19:32
    What was Saddam "stopped" from doing exactly?

The objective of the war and occupation was to create a malleable pro-Western, Israel friendly state which would be willing to let rich foreigners dominate the Iraqi economy (and all that delicious oil) and be home to permanent US military bases. But the pesky Iraqi people just won't let this happen.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    25 Oct '10 19:50 / 5 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    What was Saddam "stopped" from doing exactly?
    Anything.

EDIT - My perspective is that this was a revenge hit for daring to try to kill a US President who was also the father of the current US President. We elected a tough hawk from the border region (don't mess with Texas) who we knew had a grudge against Hussein. Whether or not Hussein tried to kill Bush Sr I don't know - Bush Jr claimed he had.

''After all, this is the guy who tried to kill my dad.''

GWB

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/1019-05.htm

WASP gangsters are on a whole different level.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    25 Oct '10 19:53 / 5 edits
    Originally posted by highdraw
    shame on you all.
    Well, maybe we shouldn't spend so much on power projection then. You're one of us my friend. Unless you're active in your local tribal politics, you're living on stolen land, taken via genocide, against the will of the people who own it - not legally, but they do own it with respect to the Right to Property.
  13. 25 Oct '10 23:52
    exactly who is they?....
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    26 Oct '10 02:19
    Originally posted by highdraw
    exactly who is they?....
    Indigenous American "Indians".
  15. 26 Oct '10 02:21
    Nation building was not the objective of the war.[/b]
    Are you sure about that?