Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Dec '10 16:12
    Legal discrimination against homosexuals in the US military may become a shameful part of our past. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40715888/ns/politics-capitol_hill

After a depressing couple of months for progressives, to be on the edge of such a historic accomplishment is exhilarating. Of course its fate rests in the hands of a few Republican Senators to break the now obligatory filibuster, but hopefully Collins, Brown, Murkowski and a few others have the courage of the convictions they already voiced and do the right thing.
  2. 18 Dec '10 16:53
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Legal discrimination against homosexuals in the US military may become a shameful part of our past. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40715888/ns/politics-capitol_hill

After a depressing couple of months for progressives, to be on the edge of such a historic accomplishment is exhilarating. Of course its fate rests in the hands of a few Repub ...[text shortened]... and a few others have the courage of the convictions they already voiced and do the right thing.
    From my vantage point I don't think women or homosexuals should serve in the armed forces. I have posted before about sexual harrassment and other such issues in the armed forces regarding women as evidence for my position. In short, there is no reason to add to the complexity and danger of those in harms way which comes in the form of issues surrounding sexual attraction.
  3. 18 Dec '10 16:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    From my vantage point I don't think women or homosexuals should serve in the armed forces. I have posted before about sexual harrassment and other such issues in the armed forces regarding women as evidence for my position. In short, there is no reason to add to the complexity and danger of those in harms way which comes in the form of issues surrounding sexual attraction.
    "I have posted before about sexual harrassment and other such issues in the armed forces regarding women as evidence for my position."

Men stands for the major part of sexual harassments. Therefore I believe men should be excluded from army services. I think the world would be a better place to live in if war weren't conducted by heterosexual men.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Dec '10 16:56
    It's good to know that your type of irrational prejudice will soon be relegated to a footnote in history at least here in the US; I'm sure such viewpoints are still very popular in places like Iran though.
  5. 18 Dec '10 16:57
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    "I have posted before about sexual harrassment and other such issues in the armed forces regarding women as evidence for my position."

Men stands for the major part of sexual harassments. Therefore I believe men should be excluded from army services. I think the world would be a better place to live in if war weren't conducted by heterosexual men.
    If you are going to have homosexuals mixed in with the troops, I would assume you would be in favor of co-ed barracks?
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Dec '10 16:58
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

LMAO! Rec'd for following whodey's position to its "logical" conclusion.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Dec '10 16:58
    If you are going to have homosexuals mixed in with the troops, I would assume you would be in favor of co-ed barracks?
    Homosexuals are already "mixed in" with our troops.
  8. 18 Dec '10 17:00
    It's good to know that your type of irrational prejudice will soon be relegated to a footnote in history at least here in the US; I'm sure such viewpoints are still very popular in places like Iran though.
    My position has nothing to do with the ability, rather, it only recognizes the fact that these men are forced to cohabitate with each other. Therefore, any distractions you throw into the mix may cost lives.
  9. 18 Dec '10 17:00
    LMAO! Rec'd for following whodey's position to its "logical" conclusion.
    The same quesiton goes to you. I would assume you would not mind women and men cohabitating together co-ed style then.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Dec '10 17:00
    The vote has been taken and cloture has been invoked breaking the filibuster. 63-33; the final vote is a formality.

Kudos to the Senate and the House.
  11. 18 Dec '10 17:01 / 1 edit
    Homosexuals are already "mixed in" with our troops.
    And if you are caught getting out of line, you are out!!

However, if they are able to control themselves, more power to'em!!
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Dec '10 17:03
    The same quesiton goes to you. I would assume you would not mind women and men cohabitating together co-ed style then.
    I wouldn't; why would you? As far as I know, men and women cohabit all the time and the sky hasn't fallen.
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Dec '10 17:04
    And if you are caught getting out of line, you are out!!

However, if they are able to control themselves, more power to'em!!
    "Getting out of line" translated to someone informing on them for being gay.

But not for much longer.
  14. 18 Dec '10 17:09
    "Getting out of line" translated to someone informing on them for being gay.

But not for much longer.
    No, what I mean is sexually harrassing, raping, or openly engaged in sexual relations on the job.

I thought that was the essence of don't ask don't tell? If not, what was it about then? Was it just about being able to say who you like to have sex with?
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Dec '10 17:09
    My position has nothing to do with the ability, rather, it only recognizes the fact that these men are forced to cohabitate with each other. Therefore, any distractions you throw into the mix may cost lives.
    "Any distractions"? So all the troops have to be EXACTLY the same?