Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 22 Nov '11 23:36
    http://blog.chron.com/rickperry/2011/11/cain-relieved-his-doctor-with-a-muslim-sounding-name-wasnt-actually-muslim/

During the early Republican debates last spring, Herman Cain came out pretty skeptical of American Muslims, making claims that he wouldn’t trust a Muslim on his Cabinet and raising concerns about a shariah takeover. He later apologized and pretty much ditched that rhetoric over the last several months, but it seems to be returning to Cain’s campaign.

Here’s an anecdote about not wanting a Muslim doctor to treat his cancer that Cain shared at—of all places—Florida’s Christian theme park, the Holy Land Experience. Yahoo News reported:

Cain speaks for nearly a half an hour and despite a couple fleeting "999" mentions, keeps his speech to topics of faith and his recent battle with cancer. …He did have a slight worry at one point during the chemotherapy process when he discovered that one of the surgeon’s name was “Dr. Abdallah.”

“I said to his physician assistant, I said, ‘That sounds foreign–not that I had anything against foreign doctors–but it sounded too foreign,” Cain tells the audience. “She said, ‘He’s from Lebanon.’ Oh, Lebanon! My mind immediately started thinking, wait a minute, maybe his religious persuasion is different than mine! She could see the look on my face and she said, ‘Don’t worry, Mr. Cain, he’s a Christian from Lebanon.’”

“Hallelujah!” Cain says. “Thank God!”

The crowd laughs uneasily.

Additionally, Cain recently defended his belief that a majority of Muslims are extremists . . .

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/11/herman-cains-anti-muslim-prejudice-returns/248471/
  2. 23 Nov '11 02:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by moon1969
    http://blog.chron.com/rickperry/2011/11/cain-relieved-his-doctor-with-a-muslim-sounding-name-wasnt-actually-muslim/

During the early Republican debates last spring, Herman Cain came out pretty skeptical of American Muslims, making claims that he wouldn’t trust a Muslim on his Cabinet and raising concerns about a shariah takeover. He later apologi lantic.com/politics/archive/2011/11/herman-cains-anti-muslim-prejudice-returns/248471/
    Oh well, Herman Cain certainly seems qualified to be a fox news pundit at least- I can imagine him joining the ranks of other disgraced republicans who now contribute to the infamous news network with their expertise and original but unintentionally comic insights.
  3. 23 Nov '11 04:17
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Oh well, Herman Cain certainly seems qualified to be a fox news pundit at least- I can imagine him joining the ranks of other disgraced republicans who now contribute to the infamous news network with their expertise and original but unintentionally comic insights.
    Do you get any of your news from television ? If so, who do you prefer and recommend ?
  4. 23 Nov '11 04:34
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Do you get any of your news from television ? If so, who do you prefer and recommend ?
    As far as Im aware this thread isn't about my personal preferences when it comes to news pundits. Have you any thoughts on Cain's persistent Islamophobia?
  5. 23 Nov '11 04:43
    As far as Im aware this thread isn't about my personal preferences when it comes to news pundits. Have you any thoughts on Cain's persistent Islamophobia?
    the reason I ask is because you are so critical towards FOX and I wish to know what you prefer and recommend instead.
    Enlighten me.
  6. 23 Nov '11 04:47
    the reason I ask is because you are so critical towards FOX and I wish to know what you prefer and recommend instead.
    Enlighten me.
    I don't see how that is relevant to Cain's history of casual Islamophobic remarks, you may well be looking forward to derailing this thread, but thats an enthusiasm I don't share with you Im afraid.
  7. 23 Nov '11 05:02 / 2 edits
    I don't see how that is relevant to Cain's history of casual Islamophobic remarks, you may well be looking forward to derailing this thread, but thats an enthusiasm I don't share with you Im afraid.
    Sorry friend. This is in context with your statement.

Oh well, Herman Cain certainly seems qualified to be a fox news pundit at least- I can imagine him joining the ranks of other disgraced republicans who now contribute to the infamous news network with their expertise and original but unintentionally comic insights.-generalissimo

I am not looking forward to derailing anything. I love seeing a African American Man smeared for the sheer fact he is "off the plantation" and a self made man.

You come off as you have a obsessive hateful streak in you towards Fox News, Glenn Beck, and American Conservatism in general.

What is your source of News that is so superior ? Al Jazeera, MSNBC, CNN or what ?

You once stated it was the Daily show and the Colbert report. Surely, Comedy Central is not it is it ?
  8. 23 Nov '11 05:20 / 2 edits
    Sorry friend. This is context to your statement.

Oh well, Herman Cain certainly seems qualified to be a fox news pundit at least- I can imagine him joining the ranks of other disgraced republicans who now contribute to the infamous news network with their expertise and original but unintentionally comic insights.-generalissimo

I a stated it was the Daily show and the Colbert report. Surely, Comedy Central is not it is it ?
    There's nothing new or even remotely interesting in your renewed attempts to personalize this discussion, it is no secret that Fox News is enjoys a certain popularity amongst failed/disgraced Republican presidential contenders/political figures, they already have Huckabee, occasionally Sarah Palin, Dick Cheney, etc, etc going there to vent their frustrations about the Obama administration or liberals in general. The addition of Herman Cain to this list would only be natural in my opinion.

My remarks had nothing to do with Herman Cain's race, nor with whatever relation he has to plantations, that is simply a fabrication of yours that says more about you than it does about me.

If you feel that is such an important question, I recommend you devote your own thread to it instead of hijacking this one, Fox News' credibility or lack thereof and journalistic rigor or lack thereof, or entertainment value or lack thereof are not affected by the conduct of other networks, so I really don't see the need to cite any "superior" alternative or anything of the kind. This is all besides the point anyway.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    23 Nov '11 05:28
    If you feel that is such an important question, I recommend you devote your own thread to it instead of hijacking this one, Fox News' credibility or lack thereof and journalistic rigor or lack thereof, or entertainment value or lack thereof are not affected by the conduct of other networks, so I really don't see the need to cite any "superior" alternative or anything of the kind. This is all besides the point anyway.
    It was you, generalissimo, and not utherpendragon who raised the issue of "Fox News' credibility or lack thereof and journalistic rigor or lack thereof". In fact your first response on to this OP was exactly and only that. I think utherpendragon is entitled to respond to the point you made.
  10. 23 Nov '11 05:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    It was you, generalissimo, and not utherpendragon who raised the issue of "Fox News' credibility or lack thereof and journalistic rigor or lack thereof". In fact your first response on to this OP was exactly and only that. I think utherpendragon is entitled to respond to the point you made.
    I don't remember that being the main point, or the defining character of my post, which was primarily about Herman Cain.

How this relates to my favorite news outlets, or plantations, is a mystery to me.
  11. 23 Nov '11 05:32
    There's nothing new or even remotely interesting in your renewed attempts to personalize this discussion, it is no secret that Fox News is enjoys a certain popularity amongst failed/disgraced Republican presidential contenders/political figures, they already have Huckabee, occasionally Sarah Palin, Dick Cheney, etc, etc going there to vent their frustr ...[text shortened]... any "superior" alternative or anything of the kind. This is all besides the point anyway.
    It is no secret the attacks on Herman Cain are race based. He is off the plantation. He walks to the beat of a different drummer.
    And its not the same tom- toms Rev. Wright , Rev. Jackson, Rev. Sharpton, Rev Farrakhan, are strutting too.
    The self appointed leaders to the American Black community.
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    23 Nov '11 05:34
    I don't remember that being the main point, or the defining character of my post, which was primarily about Herman Cain.
    Your first post was about Fox News and its pundits.
  13. 23 Nov '11 05:42
    It is no secret the attacks on Herman Cain are race based. He is off the plantation. He walks to the beat of a different drummer.
    And its not the same tom- toms Rev. Wright , Rev. Jackson, Rev. Sharpton, Rev Farrakhan, are strutting too.
    The self appointed leaders to the American Black community.
    This really is by far one of the most ludicrous retorts I've seen for a long time, but very well, please, which part of my post did you find to be particularly "race-based"?

He may well walk to the beat of a different drummer, but when it comes to Muslims it seems he's reluctant to change his tune.
  14. 23 Nov '11 05:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your first post was about Fox News and its pundits.
    Well, it was about Herman Cain's prospects as a Fox News pundit, in the tradition of the likes of Sarah Palin and Co, there was little mention of plantations or Herman Cain's race, or anything of the sort, despite uther claiming otherwise and you not quite grasping the nature of my original post.
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    23 Nov '11 05:49
    Well, it was about Herman Cain's prospects as a Fox News pundit, in the tradition of the likes of Sarah Palin and Co, there was little mention of plantations or Herman Cain's race, or anything of the sort, despite uther claiming otherwise and you not quite grasping the nature of my original post.
    Well your first post was about Fox News and its pundits. So trying to scoff at utherpendragon for responding at your point doesn't really work.